What is the best way to make LETTERS?

Old October 15th 03, 06:29 AM
Chelley

Default What is the best way to make LETTERS?

Another online community I belong to held an "online shower," which is
kind of like a secret pal kind of a thing. Well the deadline to send
out your gift was Oct 1. I ordered my secret person's gift 4 weeks ago
and it still has not come in yet... so now I feel guilty that she is
getting her gift so late, so I want to throw in a little something
extra when I mail out her package (after the thing I ordered comes
in).

She loves the Raiders football team. So I thought I'd make a black
pillow with silver letters that spell out RAIDERS. I have cool fabric
for both the black and the silver. So, what is the easiest/best way to
make letters for a pillow?

TIA!!!
Old October 15th 03, 07:00 AM
claire.owen

Chelley wrote:
|| She loves the Raiders football team. So I thought I'd make a black
|| pillow with silver letters that spell out RAIDERS. I have cool fabric
|| for both the black and the silver. So, what is the easiest/best way
|| to make letters for a pillow?
|| TIA!!!

I would fuse the leters to Vilelene to stabilse them, this will make them
become like badges or patches. Then apliqué them using a satin stitch, small
width zig zag with a short stitch length.
I never use anything to bond my apliqué to it's final resting place just
plenty of pins but the others maybe able to recomend something to fuse it to
the cushion before sewing. This could be usful move if the fabric is
slippery and you havn't apliauéd before.
I hope this helps.
Claire

Old October 17th 03, 12:33 AM
joy beeson

When I made an alphabet book for my nephew, I started out
with very fancy hand-embroidered letters and ended up by
cutting letters out of print fabric, turning the edges
under, and top-stitching by machine -- a simple straight
stitch near the edge, the same way you'd apply a patch. It
looked great, and blended right in with the elaborate
letters I'd begun with.

When I made a flag with letters on it, I marked the cutting
line on the applique' fabric, laid it on the background, and
stitched around the cutting line with a narrow, loose
zig-zag, then trimmed close to the stitching and covered the
raw edge and the first stitching with a wider and closer
zig-zag.

I may have starched the fabrics for the second method. I
didn't use any stabilizer, as I'd never heard of it at the
time.

I used thread that matched the letters; if sewing silver
fabric onto black, I think I'd match the background.

And then there is the fancy stitch that contrasts with both
of them . . .

A son of the nephew the book was made for is getting married
this weekend. Considering how slowly I sew, I think it's
time to start another alphabet book.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old October 17th 03, 02:22 AM
Shstringfellow

I think it's
time to start another alphabet book.

Aw, Joy, that really strikes me as sweet, for some reason!
SueS