Paris LNS

Old September 3rd 03, 03:10 PM

Default Paris LNS

Someone just sent me a partial list...

Darn...this isn't the one, but it helps...the one I got off RCTN was a two
pager.... I called Paris today and asked that they bring my list home...so
when I get it I'm going to be sure to type it in and save it where I can
find it...can't imagine where I put it in my Outlook Express files.... This
list was sent around 1/1/03.....Unfortunately, for those who wish to
know...the first (which was my favorite) Laurence Roque is no longer
there...it's now some junky souvenir shop or something like that.... Still
would love to have the list from RCTN but hopefully they won't forget to
bring back my copy from Paris...If they do and anyone wishes I'll be happy
to type it in and resubmit it to the group as a whole...

MarcDavis

http://community.webshots.com/user/needlemania
wrote in message
Here I go again AND I apolgize for having to ask once more.... I

desparately
need the list of Paris LNS' that was posted a while back...I think perhaps
in January.... I printed it out and used it extensively while in Paris

last
month...However I left the list in my Apt. in Paris and someone has asked

me
for the list... Could whoever originally sent the list please resend it?
Please send it to me privately if you do not wish to place it on the RCTN
again... I tried going to the RCTN archives but was told that messages are
no longer archived... Again I apologize for asking once again...It is a

most
valuable tool when traveling to Paris...for all stitchers...I think I

maxed
out a cc or two...

MarcDavis
needlemania

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/needlemania

Old September 4th 03, 08:18 PM
Stefania Bressan

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:00:10 -0400, wrote:

Here I go again AND I apolgize for having to ask once more.... I desparately
need the list of Paris LNS' that was posted a while back...I think perhaps
in January.... I printed it out and used it extensively while in Paris last
month...However I left the list in my Apt. in Paris and someone has asked me
for the list... Could whoever originally sent the list please resend it?

[...]

LA DROGUERIE
(I don't know the address)

BONHEUR DES DAMES
17, avenue Daumesnil
75012 Paris.

CELIMENE POMPON
41, rue du Cherche-Midi
75006 Paris.

ENTREE DES FOURNISSEURS
8, rue des Francs-Bourgeois
75003 Paris.

You can have a look at a map with the exact location of the shops
using the French yellow pages:
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr
Just search name (nom) and address (adresse), then click on "plan" for
the map.

Bye, Stefania
--
Stefania Bressan (Italy)
http://digilander.libero.it/angolostefania
Old September 5th 03, 07:24 PM
Elsa - remove nospam to answer

Here I go again AND I apolgize for having to ask once more.... I desparately
need the list of Paris LNS' that was posted a while back...I think perhaps
in January.... I printed it out and used it extensively while in Paris last
month...However I left the list in my Apt. in Paris and someone has asked me
for the list... Could whoever originally sent the list please resend it?
Please send it to me privately if you do not wish to place it on the RCTN
again... I tried going to the RCTN archives but was told that messages are
no longer archived... Again I apologize for asking once again...It is a most
valuable tool when traveling to Paris...for all stitchers...I think I maxed
out a cc or two...

MarcDavis
needlemania

Is this the one?

----------
From:
(Sarky Witch)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Subject: Paris Needlework shops
Date: 9 May 2003 06:46:45 -0700

S Sanschagrin wrote in message .134...
I will be in Paris in 10 days and was wondering if there are any not
to be missed needlework shops there. I'm sure there are some good
ones and I want to make sure that I don't miss the best ones.

This is a listing of shops that I got from a friend of mine who
travels to Paris every few years. I used it on my trip there in 2001,
so it might be a bit dated. Also, please excuse some of the typos!
Thought this might be of help to those traveling to Paris. (NB: my
friends and I are avid cross-stitchers, so this will focus on the
cross-stitch supplies there!) I don't think Victoria Broad is on this
list - from what I've been told, that's the *BEST* cross-stitch shop
in Paris. I'll see if can dig out their address.

********************************
Paris Cross-Stitch Shops
********************************

Stitchery Stores in Paris are listed in the yellow pages under
"Mercerie/Bonneterie" (needlepoint is under "Tapiseries" and quilting
is
under "Quilting" (there are five (!) quilting stores in Paris).
While they are conveniently listed by arrondroissement (as everything
is in
Paris), this category is very broad. It includes strores specializing
in
notions, haberdashery, hosiery and buttons as well as cross-stitch. It
is
impossible to tell from the name of the store just what is carried in
the
store. So you either call (English is generally not spoken by the
people
working in needlework stores, I found) or you visit. Even though my
French is
very good, I found it difficult to discuss needlework in French since
I was
unsure of the proper terminology. Besides, you could only tell the
quality
of a store by visiting it.

In general, there are very few French designers. Designs primarily
come from
Denmark (Permin, Oralschrager), England (Lanarte), or US (folk art
styles of
LIzzie Kate, Bent Creek, etc.) I discovered one or two distributors of
designs
who also made designs (i.e., Laurence Roque, DMC). Almost all were
sold as
kits only and were very expensive (340FF to 450FF). Generally
speaking, we
have a much larger selection of designs here (in the states), but
there is a
very high quality to the designs that do come out of France.

Unless otherwise indicated, I have visited every one of the following
stores
in the 1e, 3e, 4e, 5e, 6e and 7e (all gathered from the yellow pages).
My plan
of attack was to basically check the list for any place near where I
was
"touristing" that day.

I would appreciate any updates anyone can provide during future
forages in Paris.

1e
*Anne Bouquet
7 r. des Moulins, Mo. Pyramides (near Palais Royal/Opera)
needlepoint, some cross stitch, yard which looked hand dyed
should be checked out

D'or & D'Argent - only buttons

Phildar
19 r. Monnaie, Mo. Pont Neuf
Did not visit

2e
Des Fils and Une Aigulle
1 r. Chabanais
did not visit, although I believe it is near Annie Bouquet

Mercerie Lafayette
11 r. Uzes, Mo. Roe Montrmarte
did not visit

Sebotex
87 r. Reaumour
did not visit

3e (Le Marais)
*Entree des Fournisseurs
8 r. des Franc Bourgeois (near Place des Vosges and Musee du
Carnavalet)
enter through courtyard - easy to miss although it is a large store.
Sells
buttons, ready made sweaters and jackets as well as cross stitch
supplies and
kits. Largest supplier of American designs (i.e, Shepherd's Bush, Bent
Creek,
Birds of Feather, Lizzie Kate, Heart In Hand). Mostly sells kits,
althought
many American designs available just as a chart (no French, Danish or
English
designs available only as a chart). I did not find this as nice as its
smaller
store in the 6e (see below).

Renne Andry
60 Turbigo, Mo. Arts et Metiers (near Reamur Sabastopol)
did not visit

4e (Les Marais)
Anne Marie Bondu - buttons only

Mauricette De Moulin - seems to have disappeared

*Laurence Rogue
69 r. St. Martin, Mo. Chatelet
(across from L'Eglise St. Merri, near Centre Pompidou)
Excellent! large selection of kits, supplies, samples of a large
number of the
designs on the walls. one of the few who also created designs - which
are
beautiful! Lots of samplers. Note: scenes of France and Paris kits

5e (Left Bank)
Marianne Nathan - seems to have disappeared

Marie Putance
60 r. Monge, Mo. Monge
did not visit

6e (Left Bank)
Boutique a Boutons
100 r. Rennes, Mo. St. Placide or St. Germaine
mostly buttons, needlepoint and yarn - some cross stitch
Note: May be gone now

*Entree des Fournisseurs
9 r. Madame, Mo. St. Germain (near St. Sulphice and Monoprix)
small but good collection of cross stitch charts, kits and supplies.
Only
distributor of American folk art styles (see above entry in Le Marais
for main
store). Great collection of buttons. I found the young woman working
here
(brownish blonde hair) charming, friendly and speaks excellent
English. She
explained that most of the French and European designs are dated. She
travels
to showes in Charlotte and Nashville each year to buy American charts
and
supplies (Sampler Threads, for example). She says this store is the
only
distributor in France for these designs, which are very popular
because they
are similar to folk art from Eastern Europe. Since her heritage is
rooted in
Eastern Europe, she finds them very attractive. I did not find the
clerks in
the main store as friendly.

7e (Tour Eiffel)
Flandre - lingerie

Francois Robichon
3 r. Las Cases, Mo. Assemblee Nationale
did not visit

Mercerie Up - Laines (probably needlepoint)
14 r. Cler, Mo. Pont de L'Alma
did not visit

8e (Champs Elysees)
Bounton D'Or - you guessed it - buttons

Damart
67 Bd. Haussman
did not visit

Mercerie Collection 5
15 r. Batignolles, Mo. Rome
did not visit

Ouvrages la Boetie
23 r. la Boetie, Mo. St. Augustin
did not visit

Zou
12 r. Colisee
true notions store for sewging

9e
Harris Wilsons Textiles
10 r. Grange Bateliere - did not visit

Jasmonde
28 r. Cuamartin (east of Opera)
did not visit

15e
Mercerie des Anges
52 r. St. Lambert, Mo. Convention
did not visit, name of store is promising

Un point c'est tous
6. r. Cesar Frank, Mo. Segur (near Ecole Militaire)
did not visit, name of store is promising

That's the end of my audited list. There are many more listed in the
Paris
yellow pages in arrondissements farther afield. Also, just keep your
eyes open
-- three of the ones on the list I found simply because I was window
shopping
as I walked down the street, not even aware that I was near anything
on my
list.

Also look at newsstands for an excellent cross stitch magazine called
Marianne
Point de Croix. (There are lots of different Marianne magazines,
particularly
involving home decorating.)

Note: Foret Bleu is a hosiery shop - they are listed in several
different
arrondissements. Don't bother.

Key:
* = definitely visit
r. = rue (street in French)
Mo. = Metro (nearest stop)

Paris Hilton Jewelry Collection [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 3rd 05 01:27 PM
ebay: Now Selling (new to Store): Vogue Paris Original & American Designer Sewing Patterns & More marilyn safier Marketplace 0 September 18th 04 05:25 AM
new here, getting re-inspired shibumi Beads 15 September 30th 03 08:08 AM
Paris LNS Rerun! Needlework 2 August 9th 03 08:22 PM
Evening In Paris (On Topic) Mary Shafer Beads 1 July 6th 03 02:39 AM