Looking for patterns

Old October 14th 03, 07:23 AM
Derek Godfrey

Default Looking for patterns

Hello,

I am looking for patterns for Musketeer costumes. I am particularly
interested in the tabards, both from the earlier "Three Musketeers" period
and later "The Man in the Iron Mask" periods. But what I really have been
unable to find is a pattern for a riding cassock/cloak as seen in the Disney
version of 3 Musketeers. Other than that a good Cavalier shirt pattern with
the laced French cuffs and lace collar ruff.

Any help from those who know of what I speak will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Old October 14th 03, 11:28 AM
Kate Dicey

Derek Godfrey wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for patterns for Musketeer costumes. I am particularly
interested in the tabards, both from the earlier "Three Musketeers" period
and later "The Man in the Iron Mask" periods. But what I really have been
unable to find is a pattern for a riding cassock/cloak as seen in the Disney
version of 3 Musketeers. Other than that a good Cavalier shirt pattern with
the laced French cuffs and lace collar ruff.

Any help from those who know of what I speak will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Pop over to my web site and have a look at the Fabric List. Bit of a
mis-nomer that, as it has plenty of other stuff on it too, including
some pattern sites for historical stuff. Patterns of Time and Past
Patterns may have what you want.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 14th 03, 04:41 PM
junior4

In article , Derek
Godfrey wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for patterns for Musketeer costumes. I am particularly
interested in the tabards, both from the earlier "Three Musketeers" period
and later "The Man in the Iron Mask" periods. But what I really have been
unable to find is a pattern for a riding cassock/cloak as seen in the Disney
version of 3 Musketeers. Other than that a good Cavalier shirt pattern with
the laced French cuffs and lace collar ruff.

Any help from those who know of what I speak will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Are you looking for the blue cloak, with silver trim on the shoulder
and the silver decoration front and back? Did you notice in one scene
that the cloaks do up on the shoulder? I'm trying to interpret this
costume for something also. There is a definite shoulder line in the
costume and I have not found it duplicated in any pattern, and it's
important to get the shoulder as to then be able to get the "sleeve"
and the buttons on it. Look at Butterick 3642 and be prepared to
alter.

Jr
Old October 14th 03, 10:21 PM
Derek Godfrey

Yes, I had a problem with that in a prototype I made. The "sleeves" just
didn't do right. In the movie they had the left side shoulder velcroed, as
can be noted when they pull them off when the Musketeers were first
disbanded. Velcro is not period...hooks and eyes or even buttons would be
preferable.

Old October 14th 03, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 06:23:35 GMT, Derek Godfrey wrote:

I am looking for patterns for Musketeer costumes. I am particularly
interested in the tabards, both from the earlier "Three Musketeers" period

Poke around at http://www.costumes.org, especially in the
http://www.costumes.org/history/100p...sthistpage.htm and
http://www.costumes.org/advice/1pages/free_stuff.htm
sections.

Kay Lancaster

Old October 15th 03, 07:59 PM
junior4

Yes, it sure looked like velcro. Must have been one of those early
unpatented versions but I'm going to use big hook and thread loops.
I've drafted two left fronts, one to go on top and I'm messing with the
shoulder point. I went and rented the movie again.

Jr

Old October 16th 03, 12:28 AM
Derek Godfrey

I own the movie and have just watched it again. I even have still photos.
It appears to me that rather than a flat front on-top of back thing...the
two pieces that would normally form a shoulder seam actually butt together
so that there is a "ridge" as it were. Is this what you were originally
referring to?

What I propose as the best solution, though maybe not entirely period, is to
have the front shoulder piece overlap the back shoulder piece enough to have
a seam equivalent to the shoulder seam on the right side and use snap tape
or even sew on individual heavy duty snaps, so that you have a sturdy
connection point for fighting in the tabard, and you don't have to pull the
tabard over your head to get it on and off.

Just so I know...are we both referring to the 1993 Disney version with
Charlie Sheen, Keiffer Sutherland, Oliver Platt and Chris O'Donnel?

My next question is this: I have located a pattern that is useable...it has
2 versions of the tabard...one with separate "sleeves" that are free from
the rest of the tabard, or one that the "sleeves" are attached to the back
piece. Which one do you believe is the same as the movie? I am going to
have to slow motion it or something.

Derek

Old October 16th 03, 12:37 AM
Derek Godfrey

One more thing: What material would be best for these tabards, and is it a
single layer, or lined?

Thanks,

Derek

Old October 16th 03, 03:00 PM
junior4

In article , Derek
Godfrey wrote:

I own the movie and have just watched it again. I even have still photos.
It appears to me that rather than a flat front on-top of back thing...the
two pieces that would normally form a shoulder seam actually butt together
so that there is a "ridge" as it were. Is this what you were originally
referring to?

Yes. In the pattern I started with, I used the front and back as the
tabard then tried to add a separate sleeve to it. There is one scene at
the end where they are putting on their tabards again and this is where
I think I'm seeing an overlap but I don't know how much. Maybe 4
inches, the width of the silver trim and then along the back shoulder
edge?

and you don't have to pull the
tabard over your head to get it on and off.

Yes. Pulling it over your head seems so unseemly for a Musketeer.

Just so I know...are we both referring to the 1993 Disney version with
Charlie Sheen, Keiffer Sutherland, Oliver Platt and Chris O'Donnel?

Yes, same one. I love Tim Curry. I'm also looking at the guys in red,
they have the same patterns I have the soundtrack CD which has some
still photos on it.

My next question is this: I have located a pattern that is useable...it has
2 versions of the tabard...one with separate "sleeves" that are free from
the rest of the tabard, or one that the "sleeves" are attached to the back
piece. Which one do you believe is the same as the movie? I am going to
have to slow motion it or something.

In the movie I believe that the sleeves are free from the rest of the
tabard, front and back. In the front there's buttons? but I don't
believe they're ever buttoned up. The back also has openings to let
the sleeve free but I don't remember any fastenings. I think the
sleeve is cut so that it gathers slightly into the shoulder point. It
is a tabard with sleeves rather than a cloak with sleeve openings!

I've also been reading historical costume books. I'm not totally
convinced of the shoulder fastening, but the openings on the sleeves
front and back is authentic. Also, there would be more of a lacy
collar at the neck, a flat lying collar not a ruff. I believe that
they made the collar more masculine for modern tastes.

Fabric? A nice lightweight wool suiting. I've got some tatty
polyester that has the right hand but I have to re-dye it.

Jr.

(snip remainder)