Polymer Clay Books-Help!!!

Old November 15th 03, 09:18 PM
LiviaClair

Default Polymer Clay Books-Help!!!

I've just purchased several polymer clay books...and I'm really disappointed.
They are beautiful..with lots of great pictures of projects...but no real
substance.

Every PC book I seem to find either at Michael's or online have the 1st third
of the book dedicated to the different kinds of clays and tools...how to use
the pasta maker etc . Then they are full of pictures of projects galleries,
but NO instructions on how to make those neat projects. Instead the majority
have basic caning instructions...beauty but no useable substance.

Are there any books that aren't geared to the new pc'er and go beyond the
boring basics?

Thanks,

Libby
Old November 15th 03, 11:34 PM
Diana Curtis

How about you name the names of the ones you have and then we know which
ones not to recommend?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 16th 03, 07:03 AM
havana bill & holly

Libby, I don't know how much this will help you, but the dh miniature hobby
books dealing with polymer clay (Sue Heaser & Angie Scarr are two of the
authors who leap to mind) include detailed color mixing & modelling
techniques for the various projects, which might be adaptable for fullscale
projects. HTH
"LiviaClair" wrote in message I've just purchased several polymer clay
books Are there any books that aren't geared to the new pc'er and go beyond
the
boring basics?

Thanks,

Libby

Old November 17th 03, 06:05 AM
DianeGlassAttic

Hi,

There are loads of books with instructions, and videos too of course! Take a
look on this page for a listing of most of the books, large and small, along
with their descriptions and other info:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Bo...lymer_Clay.htm

If you're primarily into sculpting with clay, check out this page for most of
the sculpting books:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm

(There are also polymer clay articles in magazines --plus one all-polymer mag--
and an all-polymer "e-zine"... there's more info about those on that page too.)

HTH,

Old December 2nd 03, 10:46 PM
irene

Libby wrote:
Every PC book I seem to find either at Michael's or online have the 1st

third
of the book dedicated to the different kinds of clays and tools...how to

use
the pasta maker etc . Then they are full of pictures of projects

galleries,
but NO instructions on how to make those neat projects. Instead the

majority
have basic caning instructions...beauty but no useable substance.

Are there any books that aren't geared to the new pc'er and go beyond the
boring basics?

Hi Libby,
Most polymer books are going to have some basic info in the beginning, in
case a newbie picks up an intermediate level book. The books I've authored
are not caning-oriented, and they have very thorough instructions. You can
see my books at
http://www.good-night-irene.com/TheBook.html

Other books... Katherine Dewey just came out with her second sculpting book.
I got a peek at it at our last guild meeting, and it looks awesome. Donna
Kato's "The Art of Polymer Clay" has been around a while, so it doesn't have
the newest techniques or materials, but there's good solid info on a lot of
techniques in there. Victoria Hughes' "Polymer: The Chameleon Clay" is
faux-technique oriented with many instructions, and good stuff about
creativity.

Jacqueline Gikow's "Polymer Clay" has some interesting structural projects,
and Barbara McGuire also has a couple of books with step-by-step
instructions. I don't own the books by Dotty McMillan, Sarajane Helm, or
Lisa Pavelka, so I don't know enough about them to comment.

Go to the library or bookstore and browse before you buy. I love books for
inspiration, but like you, I want to learn from them too. Hope this helps!

Irene
--
http://www.good-night-irene.com