Mounted or Unmounted Stamps which do you prefer?

Old October 20th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Carole

Default Mounted or Unmounted Stamps which do you prefer?

I am in the process of converting my 50 SU sets to unmounted. I have
been very hesitant because I was afraid I would damage the rubber so I
tried it on a set I wasn't crazy about. Finding that set was hard
because I like they all. My husband is afraid I will break my
microwave opening and closing the door..........so I am converting my
set slowly.

I sent StampinUp an email a couple of weeks ago regarding them offering
both mounted and unmounted. They said and I quote:

"We have passed your suggestion along to the appropriate department,
but are unable to advise you as to whether it will be implemented or
whether such plans are currently in the works"

We are full-time RV'ers and storage is really a problem.

Carole ...on the road again

Old October 20th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Roscoe2

Carole wrote:
I am in the process of converting my 50 SU sets to unmounted. I have
been very hesitant because I was afraid I would damage the rubber so I
tried it on a set I wasn't crazy about. Finding that set was hard
because I like they all. My husband is afraid I will break my
microwave opening and closing the door..........so I am converting my
set slowly.

I sent StampinUp an email a couple of weeks ago regarding them offering
both mounted and unmounted. They said and I quote:

"We have passed your suggestion along to the appropriate department,
but are unable to advise you as to whether it will be implemented or
whether such plans are currently in the works"

We are full-time RV'ers and storage is really a problem.

Carole ...on the road again

Hi Carole,

I don't think that SU will ever go unmounted as that is their nitch in
stamping, that and of course the matching inks and papers. I too have
som SU sets that I have unmounted and continue to use them in my
personal cards and such. But I love TAC as they are good quality
rubber and are cheaper. Did you know that some of the same artists
that design for SU design for TAC.

You will love the fact that you took the time to unmount your sets and
that you can keep them in cd cases, much easier for storage when you
are on the road.

Inky Huggz,

Missy Olson
Angel No. 1754
North Branch, Mn

Old October 22nd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
King's Crown

Hi Carole,

I've found my SU sets very easy to pull a part without microwaving. Give
that a try. I haven't microwaved a single one. My craft room is clear at
the other end of the house from my kitchen and I wasn't looking forward to
running back and forth. As bringing craft stuff to the kitchen is something
I will not do any more now that I have a dedicated room. That's how I found
out just pulling them a part works great.

I've found a sort of code Gray good, Black OK, Red bad. This means the
stamps with the gray foam pull a part beautifully and leave little residue
if any to clean up. Black if I get it peeled just right it's OK, but
getting the adhesive lining to go with the foam is tricky. The red foam
ones are just a bugger. I may end up trying the microwave on them.

Another tip I've found that works great with getting the adhesive residue
off with out blistering your thumb is Xyrons Adhesive Eraser. It's like
those tan rubbery erasers from our childhood. It's great. Someone
suggested Undo to me and I haven't tried it yet.

I LOVE not having all those wood blocks on. So, far I've converted 3
drawers of rubber stamps to one.

Lynne
ups.com...

Old October 23rd 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Wave Jumper

What fun...being full timers! We are 'one month timers' in the summer and
wish it could be for longer. When DH retires that's the plan for at least 3
months each summer.

I am in the process of unmounting my stamps too and agree with Lynne. You
don't have to microwave them to pull the rubber off the foam. If they are
old I'm not sure what would happen...would the rubber break apart if it's
starting to get hard? You could stamp the image on a piece of cardstock and
scan it to a favorite place on your computer or burn it on a CD.
Hmmm...that may be a good idea for any stamp that is on the verge of getting
brittle and has been discontinued.

I suggested the UM system to SU two months ago and never heard back so
thanks for the info. SU will have an advertisement in the Country Living
magazine next month for a card making kit. The stamp set is awesome fall
leaves and punched out, ready to mount so there is no cutting (I saw the kit
yesterday and it's no help to me/us since it has the foam on the rubber) so
I wonder if that's what is "currently in the works".

SAD

On 10/19/06 8:11 PM, in article
, "Carole"

Old October 24th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
King's Crown

I always swear I'll never buy any more Stampin' Up stamps, but I do. I just
bought 3 sets last month and thought "Oh darn the foam is already on them!"
Well, I was amazed at how easy it was to pull them off the foam. I guess
because they were just put together recently they hadn't time to really
stick together.

Enjoying my new Stampin' Up stamps with acrylic blocks,

Lynne

Old December 2nd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
stampingmaniac

I have both unmounted and mounted. Of the UM, both clear and rubber.
The clear do seem to stamp differently, but I wouldn't say worse
coverage necessarily. I'll have to try the fine sand paper trick.
I've never had a problem with the stamps staying stuck to the block,
but I've heard a quick cleaning will restore the "stickiness."

I've just started putting the backings on my unmounted rubber stamps.
It took me forever to do, so I'm really wondering - how do all of you
assemble the unmounteds? Do you cut the backing to match the shape,
like I did (and it took forever!)? Squares would be so much easier if
that'd work. I have a bad habit of always doing things the hard way,
so I'm curious. The stuff I bought wasn't EZ mount, though I think
that's what I'll get in the future when I use up the foam and backing I
have. I also need to get the pages one of these days - right now the
unmounteds are in a drawer in my Crop in Style Storehouse.

--Barbara

Old December 11th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
stampingmaniac

Thanks. I do that, too, but what about the acrylic (or whatever it is
made of) backing?

The system I bought has a sheet of foam plus a sheet of acrylic (or
whatever it is) backing. I cut the rubber (if needed - some of my
stamps were pre-cut by the manufacturer), then put it on the foam, then
cut the foam to match the rubber, then trace that onto the backing,
then cut out the backing, then stick the backing onto the stamp. How
do the other systems for mounting work?

--Barbara

Wave Jumper wrote:
Hi Barbara, I cut my rubber close to the image so there isn't a chance of
ink getting on the edge of the excess rubber to mess up your stamped image.

SAD

On 12/2/06 7:15 AM, in article
, "stampingmaniac"

Old December 12th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Wave Jumper

Wow...I don't know what kind of system your using but it sounds complicated.
What is it called? Mine is called EZ Mount and there are other companies
that make the same system. One is called Static Cling Mounting Foam and I
know there are other companies around too. The gray foam is sticky on one
side and has a clingy like stuff on the other side that clings to clear
acrylic blocks when you want to use the stamp. When you finish stamping you
clean the ink off the stamp, pull it off the acrylic block then store it in
a three ring binder on white plastic sheets that have holes for the rings.

Here's how I do mine. I cut the rubber close to the image, lay it on the
sticky side of the foam and cut around that with a hot knife and then put it
on the white plastic sheet that I have in the three ring binder. I have
several binders, each for different categories. I hope this makes sense.

SAD

On 12/11/06 1:05 PM, in article
, "stampingmaniac"

Old December 12th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Roscoe2

stampingmaniac wrote:

How do all of you assemble the unmounteds? Do you cut the backing to match the shape,
like I did (and it took forever!)?

--Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I mount the rubber onto the ez mount or "creative cling", then I cut my
images out. If you have unmounted a stamp then I do the same. That
way, I don't have to cut that much. I agree with you it takes a LONG
time sometimes.

But I prefer UM because of the storage thing. I have two cd turn
tables on my workspace and each one holds 80 sets of stamps and my
husband doesn't know. Ha ha. Yea right like he doesn't know.

I hope this helps you out.

Inky Huggz,

Missy Olson
Angel #1754