OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Tea: I drink it any dang way I want at the time *snicker*

Cold weather food: well, you already did my #1 default (chili) but a
simple pre-cooked ham (I usually go for the Kroger brand when I'm down
state but Cumberland is also good) in the crock pot for a few hours
with a little bit of liquid at the start, some Bob Evans already made
in the diary/meat aisle mashed potatoes and a vegetable works for us.

Also, heat up either chicken or beef broth with any spices you want in
the crock pot, and about 15-30 minutes (depending on how done you like
pasta) throw in some No-yolk noodle, extra wide/broad -- makes a nice
soup.

Another one (we did these for T-giving rather than a whole bird -- DH
hates dealing with anything on a bone): Flatten out unbaked Grands
biscuits, place your choice of deli meat (I've done them also with
Lloyd's BBQ shredded meats) on top of half of them, add some shredded
cheese of choice, place another flattened buscuit on top, use a fork to
mash the edges together (similiar to putting on a top crust on a pie),
and bake at about teh same directions are the regular buscuits.

I've heard rumors that it supposed to be possible to do a variation on
lasagna in a crockpot but I don't know how to do it.

HTH,

Tricia

Old February 21st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Okay what is catsup?
I Know ketchup is tomato sauce and grape jelly is grape jam, but catsup
?

Dee in Oz

who only drinks tea, one sugar and a small amount of milk.

Old February 21st 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Dee in Oz wrote:
Okay what is catsup?
I Know ketchup is tomato sauce and grape jelly is grape jam, but catsup
?

As far as I know, it is an off tasting version of ketchup that
seriously needs more salt to it (at least anything *I've* ever tasted
that has said catsup rather than ketchup has been that way -- and
something I would rather by-pass than use, even if it means my fries go
naked)

Tricia

Old February 21st 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Tricia

Old February 21st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Aussies were great tea drinkers. My Tasmanian relatives were famous for the
fact that if you got up at two in the morning someone would be in the
kitchen with the kettle on. We have been subverted to coffee to a large
extent, but I have never drunk a cup of coffee in my life, and am unlikely
to start now. I take my tea with lots of milk and 2 sugars in a very large
mug (so probably the equivalent of weak white and one), but others who come
to my house like black tea so weak that they "share" a tea bag! I couldn't
believe it when I first saw this, but the first person gets two dunks, the
second about 4 or 5, and the third just pours the hot water through the bag.
Weird!!

According to one of my stewards (who was a flight steward for the Queen) the
Royal protocol is to pour water straight from a "rolling boil" into the
warmed pot with tea leaves, and allow to brew for at least 2 minutes. The
tea should be poured within 5 minutes, always into an empty cup. Any milk,
sugar and lemon is added after.

The longer the tea leaves stew in hot water the more tannic acid is
released, so that's why tea that has been standing will tast particularly
yukky.

Service ration packs used to always include tea and coffee (don't know if
they still do) in powdered form. Powdered tea with powdered whitener and
sugar mixed in is not nice, and the NATO standard mix was white with one
sugar! To this day I have ex-service friends who still answer "NATO
standard" if you ask tham how they drink their tea or coffee. On exercises,
if I couldn't scrounge a real tea bag and some sugar I went without. I
could handle not having milk, but powdered tea is beyond bad!!

A couple of people have mentioned green tea but that is a taste I have never
acquired. Nor do herbal teas appeal much. I used to drink Earl Grey (weak
black unsweetened) but after some throat surgery it never tasted right again
so switched to "normal" tea. Honey is supposed to be wonderful in tea as a
sweetener but I don't like honey. So when I come to visit just have normal
tea, lots of real milk and some sugar available and I will be right at home.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have discovered that I am a tea addict. Have loved the stuff for
ages, but have discovered recently that I must have my afternoon tea.
About 2 in the afternoon, if I haven't started the tea kettle for a
English Teatime or a Constant Comment... I start to lose steam and feel
a bit sluggish!

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

stew
chili
split pea soup
corned beef and cabbage - which I started in the crock pot yesterday
morning before Billy and I left for the day. The corned beef didn't
have enough fat in it, and I didn't add enough liquid (counting on the
fat) so the cabbage burnt! Can you say GeeeeROSSSSSS! Nothing smells
worse than coming home to a house that reaks of burned cabbage! BLEK!

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

TIA and Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina wrote:

I have discovered that I am a tea addict. Have loved the stuff for
ages, but have discovered recently that I must have my afternoon tea.
About 2 in the afternoon, if I haven't started the tea kettle for a
English Teatime or a Constant Comment... I start to lose steam and feel
a bit sluggish!

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

Milk in tea, cream in coffee. Cream is far too heavy for the more
delicate flavours of tea. Lemon if you prefer, but both are acceptable.

I like honey in herbal teas, but drink china and green teas plain and
unadorned.

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

stew
chili
split pea soup
corned beef and cabbage - which I started in the crock pot yesterday
morning before Billy and I left for the day. The corned beef didn't
have enough fat in it, and I didn't add enough liquid (counting on the
fat) so the cabbage burnt! Can you say GeeeeROSSSSSS! Nothing smells
worse than coming home to a house that reaks of burned cabbage! BLEK!

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

One Pot Goulash
Venison casserole
Jugged hare
Beef Carbonade

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 21st 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"Tina" wrote:

I have discovered that I am a tea addict. Have loved the stuff for
ages, but have discovered recently that I must have my afternoon tea.
About 2 in the afternoon, if I haven't started the tea kettle for a
English Teatime or a Constant Comment... I start to lose steam and feel
a bit sluggish!

I'm a tea lover, too! Except that I more often have mine in the morning,
after I've finished my housework and have dressed. Then I can settle
down with my tea and email. G

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

I once had tea in a restaurant where they brought cream instead of the
milk I always used -- and the cream curdled in the tea. Ugh! I grew up
(English mother) with milk in my tea, but I've more or less given up
putting anything in it -- gotta save the calories for something else you
know. G DGS#2, who loves to have tea with me (he'll be five on Friday)
says his favorite addition to tea is cookies.

My favorite teas are Earl Grey (with extra bergamot -- yum!) and Lapsang
Souchong. Both are to die for, IMHO. Tea is best brewed in a pot from
tea *leaves*, rather than from bags. I order my tea from
http://www.uptontea.com/, and they also have teapots with inserts so
you can remove the tea leaves and yet they have plenty of room to steep
properly. Great company (NAYY, of course) with very good customer
service.

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item?

You already mentioned split pea soup, but I also love lasagna (I *love*
pasta!) and a recipe for Mexican tortilla soup a friend gave me.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 21st 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article . com,
"Tina" wrote:

OOOOOOOOOOHhhHhhh Marcella! A woman after my own heart! My absolute,
all time favorite! French Onion soup and a french dip! I'm so
spoiled, I never would have dreamed of making that at home! That's
usually my LaMadelaine treat!

Guess it's time to try it myself in my own kitchen! Thanks for sharing
your recipes!

Hugs,
Tina

You are very welcome! Hope you like them.

marcella