A Little S.E.X.

Old January 7th 04, 02:33 AM
Ellice

Default A Little S.E.X.

Well, I finally went to my friend's LNS - nice - it's the January inventory
sale. She's doing something different - rather than have a pile of
discounted books - there's a big jar, and you reach in, pull out a card, and
get your discount form 10% - 50% (thought I think most are about 20%). Even
includes framing orders! Now, what to do??????

So, I picked out a sampler for my crazy aunt - The Black Sheep Sampler from
Elizabeth's Designs. Figured it's traditional enough, with a little bit of
something different, and great stitch diagrams, nothing too difficult IMHO.
Bought 28 ct Cashel in the pretty Flax color, instead of 36 ct (a bit much
for a quasi-beginner), and floss (not silk). Here's the link at ABC:
http://www.abcstitch.com/images/s3/03-2326.jpg

Then, I had to buy the Just-Nan Spring In the Air Sampler - heck, it's on
sale, and came with the embellishment pack. But, upon review with DH - he
likes it. I didn't buy fabric - but he looked at the picture and suggested
instead of the natural linen to try one of the pale pastels. So, now I have
reason to go pick up the threads - may just have to be the silks, and then
pick some linen. Maybe I'll start that one really soon - as it's not that
large and I can travel with it. And a link for the curious:
http://www.justnan.com/jn104.html

Finally - I bought the Indigo Rose True Love sampler. Going to do it as
anniversary present for DH - well, it ends up being for us. Got the silks -
of course, not what was called for - a slight change in the pinks and
burgundies - bought Soie Crystal and Splendor - still have to get the greens
- guess where I'll be either tomorrow or Thursday. And the flax Belfast
linen. DH - not allowed to see the cover - but he saw the chart. He won't
know the whole thing this way, and there's no way I can stitch without him
seeing me working occasionally. Big link, at Hoffman:
http://www.hoffmandis.com/detail.cfm...1&image=97-250
1.jpg&ProductName=True%20Love%20Sampler%2C%20The&D esignerName=Indigo%20Rose&
SubcatID=&DesignerID=IND&Keyword=&prodlist=des&des refine=&CatID=

Just wanted to share a bit. Heaven forbid I just work on some UFO/WIP. Oh,
and my friend convinced me to make a bell-pull from the little Berries
Sampler I just did - made me feel good - she thought it came out really
well. But, I'll wait to see what hardware she gets in - what was there was
too big, or something.

ellice

Old January 7th 04, 02:23 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/6/04 9:33 PM, in article , "Ellice"
wrote:

Well, I finally went to my friend's LNS - nice - it's the January inventory
sale. She's doing something different - rather than have a pile of
discounted books - there's a big jar, and you reach in, pull out a card, and
get your discount form 10% - 50% (thought I think most are about 20%). Even
includes framing orders! Now, what to do??????

So what % off did you get!

Then, I had to buy the Just-Nan Spring In the Air Sampler - heck, it's on
sale, and came with the embellishment pack. But, upon review with DH - he
likes it. I didn't buy fabric - but he looked at the picture and suggested
instead of the natural linen to try one of the pale pastels. So, now I have
reason to go pick up the threads - may just have to be the silks, and then
pick some linen. Maybe I'll start that one really soon - as it's not that
large and I can travel with it. And a link for the curious:
http://www.justnan.com/jn104.html

I really like that one! Like I need more stash!

Just wanted to share a bit. Heaven forbid I just work on some UFO/WIP. Oh,
and my friend convinced me to make a bell-pull from the little Berries
Sampler I just did - made me feel good - she thought it came out really
well. But, I'll wait to see what hardware she gets in - what was there was
too big, or something.

Sounds like a nice idea for it! Have you checked out what Nordic Needle has
for ideas?

Cheryl

Old January 7th 04, 04:11 PM
Ellice

On 1/7/04 9:23 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

wrote:

discounted books - there's a big jar, and you reach in, pull out a card, and
get your discount form 10% - 50% (thought I think most are about 20%). Even
includes framing orders! Now, what to do??????

So what % off did you get!

20 % . But, she gave me more on the fabric - my 22 X 16 piece was only
$11.

Then, I had to buy the Just-Nan Spring In the Air Sampler - heck, it's on
sale, and came with the embellishment pack. But, upon review with DH - he
likes it. I didn't buy fabric - but he looked at the picture and suggested
instead of the natural linen to try one of the pale pastels. So, now I have
reason to go pick up the threads - may just have to be the silks, and then
pick some linen. Maybe I'll start that one really soon - as it's not that
large and I can travel with it. And a link for the curious:
http://www.justnan.com/jn104.html

I really like that one! Like I need more stash!

I know the feeling. But, I really like the pansies, and it's got some nice
stitches - would be cheerful piece when finished. The pansies are actually
done over 1 - nice detail I think the model is stitched on 28 ct - so that
makes it much easier. Seems comparably more easy than it should be compared
to 32 ct & 36 ct. Any thoughts on color linen? Maybe I'll get one of those
really pale blue or lilac hand dyed pieces - pale enough so the stitching
will show, but with some little variation like clouds. Or would that be too
busy?

and my friend convinced me to make a bell-pull from the little Berries
Sampler I just did - made me feel good - she thought it came out really
well. But, I'll wait to see what hardware she gets in - what was there was
too big, or something.

Sounds like a nice idea for it! Have you checked out what Nordic Needle has
for ideas?

She usually orders from Yarn Tree or Norden. I'll check out Yarn Tree - I
have an order going in there anyhow - but don't usually buy for myself when
I'm doing stuff for the business. Don't want to compete with my LNS, and
then I have to do weird accounting - sell it to me personally - charge
myself tax, and then pay the tax to the state. She had a nice hammered metal
bell pull - but it was black and there is no black in this piece - it's all
Weeks Blue Spruce, Garnet, Whiskey, Mulberry, Blue Bonnet, Americana and the
Whitewash - on natural Belfast. The Garnet is on the largest flower motifs,
and the lettering in Blue Spruce (as is the black work), and the Mulberry on
2 sets of grapes and some bands, some of the Blue Bonnet is also pretty
prominent. So, I'll find something. The piece is only about 3" X 10" - so
the bell pull seemed a nice little idea.

I'll be looking.

ellice

Old January 7th 04, 05:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

discounted books - there's a big jar, and you reach in, pull out a card, and
get your discount form 10% - 50% (thought I think most are about 20%). Even
includes framing orders! Now, what to do??????

So what % off did you get!

20 % . But, she gave me more on the fabric - my 22 X 16 piece was only
$11.

Nice LNS!

[...]

How about a palest green tone or a delicate rose pink? I think unless you
find exactly the right piece of overdyed with really subtle variations it
will detract from the piece.

[...]

Perfect size for a bell pull - how about something pewter colored or even a
light wood tone. I'll have to go look at it again!

Cheryl

Old January 7th 04, 05:56 PM
seaspray

S.E.X must be going around this week! I went to Treasure Island to look for
beaded garland and they had the Christmas stitchery at 70 % off. Well, you
now I just started there. Going off to the craft area, I found many of
their kits at 50% off. I went home with a BIG smile and can't wait to start
once the boys leave tomorrow for Canada.

Seaspray

Old January 8th 04, 07:26 PM
Ellice

On 1/7/04 12:56 PM,"seaspray" seaside stitcher @ yahoo. com posted:

S.E.X must be going around this week! I went to Treasure Island to look for
beaded garland and they had the Christmas stitchery at 70 % off. Well, you
now I just started there. Going off to the craft area, I found many of
their kits at 50% off. I went home with a BIG smile and can't wait to start

Wow - good for you. I'm going to head out in a while and visit Needlewoman
East. I just have to get the green silks for the True Love sampler, and
start looking at fabric, thread for the Just Nan sampler. I just haven't
decided if I'm splurging on silk, or doing floss. I don't know. Probably
silk - I'm in that mood ;^)

once the boys leave tomorrow for Canada.

Hope they do well in the Silver Sticks. And you enjoy your quiet house - and
get lots of stitching, and no snow!

ellice

Old January 10th 04, 04:36 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Ellice wrote:

Wow - good for you. I'm going to head out in a while and visit Needlewoman
East. I just have to get the green silks for the True Love sampler, and
start looking at fabric, thread for the Just Nan sampler. I just haven't
decided if I'm splurging on silk, or doing floss. I don't know. Probably
silk - I'm in that mood ;^)

Oh, like you can go to Needlewoman East and not come
out with spiffy fibers! I come out of that darned shop with
fibers even when I have no need for them, silks especially!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 10th 04, 06:02 PM
Ellice

On 1/9/04 11:36 PM,"Ericka Kammerer" posted:

Ellice wrote:

Wow - good for you. I'm going to head out in a while and visit Needlewoman
East. I just have to get the green silks for the True Love sampler, and
start looking at fabric, thread for the Just Nan sampler. I just haven't
decided if I'm splurging on silk, or doing floss. I don't know. Probably
silk - I'm in that mood ;^)

Oh, like you can go to Needlewoman East and not come
out with spiffy fibers! I come out of that darned shop with
fibers even when I have no need for them, silks especially!

LOL - you're so right. Yup, we just call Sue (the owner) the Thread Queen
;^) I don't think many shop owners can go to the extent that she has in
carrying so much different thread. The only place I've seen with the full
line of Caron cottons, silks, silk/wools, and Needle Necessities - overdyes
in perle and rayon blends, all the Rainbow Gallery, and the list goes on -
it's where I found the Felicity's Garden (silk/wool)_, and I think she's got
Pearsall's silk, and more than I can list. Since I live soooo close (I
drive, but could walk the mile if it were nice out) it's very tempting. I
try to not go when it's crowded - hahIt's a great resource, as I think she
carries nearly as much variety in fabrics. They're great with the customers,
and very helpful to the designers/teachers in the area - it's really helpful
when I want to go just look at, pick some threads for a sample to be
stitched rather than having to order huge quantities of stuff to try it.

Great shop, tons of NP, some XS charts, and lots of trinkets.

So, Erika - let me know if you're heading this way - I'd be happy to hook up
for some S.E.X. , and we can always get some refreshment nearby.

Ellice

Old January 10th 04, 08:39 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Ellice wrote:

[...]

Sure--can't beat Crisp'n'Juicy followed by S.E.X. ;-)
I love her selection of fibers and fabrics, but she's usually
a little low on the sorts of patterns I like. I wish someone
locally would carry Columbine Designs stuff (I *LOVE* her
work). I also love to stop by Hole in the Wall books ;-)
I used to work right there (in the tall white building
right next door to the little center Needlewoman East is
in), but the company moved to McLean :-( It's a better
commute for me now, but I can't stop and shop on my way
to or from work :-(
By the way, are you planning to go to Woodlawn this
year? I'm going to try to get one of my projects back in
order to submit it, but I never have anyone to go with!
My sister sometimes goes with me out of pity, but it's
not really her favorite thing to do.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 10th 04, 11:44 PM
Ellice

On 1/10/04 3:39 PM,"Ericka Kammerer" posted:

Ellice wrote:

LOL - you're so right. Yup, we just call Sue (the owner) the Thread Queen

*snip*

Great shop, tons of NP, some XS charts, and lots of trinkets.

So, Erika - let me know if you're heading this way - I'd be happy to hook up
for some S.E.X. , and we can always get some refreshment nearby.

Sure--can't beat Crisp'n'Juicy followed by S.E.X. ;-)

Local chain of hispanic style rotisserie chicken - complete with yucca and
plantains for side dishes. There's always Panera, or thr 4 Ps (Irish Pub)

I love her selection of fibers and fabrics, but she's usually
a little low on the sorts of patterns I like. I wish someone

Yup - the shop is definitely slanted towards NP, and all the accoutrements
you could want. She has usually some new XS charts, but all the older stuff
I find hard to look for as it's in the magazine holder bin things. Anyway,
for XS, CT charts, I usually either shop the Hang-Up (in Sterling), or
Stitchin' Pretty, http://www.michelleink.com/, in Laurel.

locally would carry Columbine Designs stuff (I *LOVE* her
work). I also love to stop by Hole in the Wall books ;-)

Great used book store.

I used to work right there (in the tall white building
right next door to the little center Needlewoman East is
in), but the company moved to McLean :-( It's a better
commute for me now, but I can't stop and shop on my way
to or from work :-(

Wow, you work just down the road from me (we're on the Falls Church/McLean
border - taxes in McLean district - get to use their really nice community
center for classes, but Falls Church address). If you ever want to do a shop
after work - evening thing - I'd be happy to meet you.

By the way, are you planning to go to Woodlawn this
year? I'm going to try to get one of my projects back in
order to submit it, but I never have anyone to go with!
My sister sometimes goes with me out of pity, but it's
not really her favorite thing to do.

I'd definitely go with you. Don't know if we can make a big outing with
Caryn, too. Maybe Susan will come down from Baltimore and join us.

I haven't decided if I'm going to enter my latest little sampler. The
unbiased opinion I got on it from my LNS owner friend was that it came out
really nice (the stitching). So, I suppose it depends on if I can get it
finished as a bell pull right away. I probably will enter it. The original
piece I wanted to enter, I don't think will be done by the Feb drop-off
date.

But, now it's time to head off to some freezing ice-rink! Poor DH, reffed a
bunch of games today - 3 in the am, 2 in the late afternoon, and is playing
tonight (and I'm scorekeeping his game, and the one after it).

I'll send you mail directly to talk about Woodlawn, etc.

ellice