It's arriced!

Old July 16th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default It's arrived!

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:33:24 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:54:17 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I'm pleased that the rain has sought out weak points and that it's
happened
while he's still fit enough to go up ladders and work on the roof.

He certainly sounds a "handy man" to have around :-)

I don't know what I'd do without him - but if he dies before me I can rely
on the famiy, they've inherited all that's best from him. Sadly, they've
also inherited all that's worst in me :-)

I must admit the nasturtiums and cornflowers have done well but the slugs
got my poppies.

They're not touching mine. Mind you, when you have a plot full of brassica
why should they bother?

It's been good for herbs though. The tarragon I have in a pot (it's a
beast for spreading otherwise) has done well

I can't grow tarragon at all, I've tried for years :-(

I couldn't grow it either until I found a packet of Russian Tarragon
in our local Homebase. Perhaps the Russian variety is more hardy and more
suitable for this climate.

and I've even managed to get
the seeds of fenugreek (methi) to grow. Around here you can get the
seeds but not the leaf so I've taken to growing my own on a window sill
and as it is a strong flavour you don't need much.

I've never tried, it's not something I use although i have a pot of
dried seeds in the pantry.

I've also cropped and dried the lovage leafs for use in the winter as
they make a lovley soup when mixed with potatoes. Nice for a cold
winter day.

They are, but too big for my garden :-(

Has he noticed it has gone "walkabout" yet? I'll look forward to
seeing those pics when you get around to it.

He hasn't - I've kept him too busy

I pulled out the second one, it was too small for anyone and I'd tried
to be clever and assumed what was meant in the instructions. Ha! How
are the might fallen :-) But I'm making it bigger and stayed up until
11 pm last night working on it. I've also been thinking of making the
colours photogenic - just for you :-)

Now that is very kind Mary (LOL).

The pictures WILL happen, promise. I mused whether to pose then alone,
as in the book, or on a model - the Bearded Wonder :-)

I'll just have to wait and see then, they always say "anticipation is
half the pleasure" but I'm not sure I agree. I like everything as of
yesterday!

Oh - another short term hedonist :-) I'd say don't hold your breat :-)

I worked on it last night and wondered if I'd have to pull it out again.
It doesn't ook too bad this morning but I've busy with the ironing all
today so might not be able to pick it up until tonight.

Sorry!

Mary

Don't rush it Mary just because I've been nagging you. I always complete
my projects slowly because that way I enjoy them more - it's only other
people that I nag at to get things done NOW! ;-)

Old July 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

[...]

Oh - but we're always told not to grow Russian tarragon because it's not as
tasty as the French. Have they been having us on?

I'd like to try the Russian stuff but I've never seen seed. Where did you
get it?

the hat

Don't rush it Mary just because I've been nagging you. I always complete
my projects slowly because that way I enjoy them more - it's only other
people that I nag at to get things done NOW! ;-)

Yes, somehow it's important that other people do things NOW!

:-))))

Mary

Old July 16th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:00:40 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:33:24 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:54:17 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

snip
Oh - but we're always told not to grow Russian tarragon because it's not as
tasty as the French. Have they been having us on?

I'd like to try the Russian stuff but I've never seen seed. Where did you
get it?

I never heard that before. I got my seeds from Homebase but most of the
supermarkets carry seeds in the Spring. I've also seen them in the Co-op,
Lidl's and in Tesco.

I find the flavour is fine and use it fresh in my home made salad
dressing. The only problem I've found is that it will take over the garden
unless you keep it in a separate pot. It's a bit like mint in that way. I
haven't bothered drying it for use in the winter as we already have a pot
of dried and will use that first.

the hat

Don't rush it Mary just because I've been nagging you. I always
complete my projects slowly because that way I enjoy them more - it's
only other people that I nag at to get things done NOW! ;-)

Yes, somehow it's important that other people do things NOW!

:-))))

Mary

I think most of us are the same way in that respect :-D

Bernadette

Old July 16th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

I thought that big old clumps of tarragon were called "Russian", and when
you dug the clumps up every so often and divided them up so that they grew
more rapidly, it was "French."

I have easily grown tarragon in other places, but here in Pleasant Hill, I
have only managed to kill it. That is ok. My wife does not like it in
anything.

Aaron

Old July 17th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default Clarification

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:46:12 +0000, Bernadette wrote:

[...]

Sorry, that last sentence confuses things. What I meant to say was I
haven't dried any mint this year. It was nearly midnight when I wrote it
and I'm not used to being awake at that hour :-(

the hat

Old July 17th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:57:04 -0700, Aaron Lewis wrote:

I thought that big old clumps of tarragon were called "Russian", and when
you dug the clumps up every so often and divided them up so that they grew
more rapidly, it was "French."

I have easily grown tarragon in other places, but here in Pleasant Hill, I
have only managed to kill it. That is ok. My wife does not like it in
anything.

Aaron

I've not heard that either Aaron but will bear it in mind and see if I can
find out any more about it.

I thought there was "ordinary" tarragon and (when I discovered it by
accident) "Russian" tarragon as that was the label on the packet.

Thanks for the info though.

Bernadette
Old July 17th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:00:40 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

snip
Oh - but we're always told not to grow Russian tarragon because it's not
as
tasty as the French. Have they been having us on?

I'd like to try the Russian stuff but I've never seen seed. Where did you
get it?

I never heard that before. I got my seeds from Homebase but most of the
supermarkets carry seeds in the Spring. I've also seen them in the Co-op,
Lidl's and in Tesco.

I'll give it a go, my usual seed suppliers probably have them. We rarely go
to supermarkets.

I find the flavour is fine and use it fresh in my home made salad
dressing. The only problem I've found is that it will take over the garden
unless you keep it in a separate pot. It's a bit like mint in that way. I
haven't bothered drying it for use in the winter as we already have a pot
of dried and will use that first.

Mint grows in a Belfast sink - I have lots more in the garden so I could
confine it in one of those. I've heard they frych a big price on e-bay but I
can't be bothered ... :-)

Thanks, Bernadette.

Mary

the hat

Old July 17th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

I think that for sauce Béarnaise, it is classic to pickle the tarragon in
vinegar for the winter.

Aaron

Old July 17th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:16:09 +0000, Aaron Lewis wrote:

I think that for sauce Béarnaise, it is classic to pickle the tarragon in
vinegar for the winter.

snip
It does give a lovely flavour to vinegar or oil.

I make up a batch of salad dressing several times a year. All it takes is
one part lemon juice to 3 parts olive oil. Then peel one garlic clove and
put it into the bottom of the bottle (or whatever container you are using)
add a sprig of fresh tarragon, shake it well then let it sit in the fridge
for about a week.

By then the flavour should have developed. If you're "picky" you can
strain it as it makes it look better. I just leave it until it's all used
up - it doesn't usually last long!
Old July 18th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:16:09 +0000, Aaron Lewis wrote:

I think that for sauce Béarnaise, it is classic to pickle the tarragon in
vinegar for the winter.

snip
It does give a lovely flavour to vinegar or oil.

I make up a batch of salad dressing several times a year. All it takes is
one part lemon juice to 3 parts olive oil. Then peel one garlic clove and
put it into the bottom of the bottle (or whatever container you are using)
add a sprig of fresh tarragon, shake it well then let it sit in the fridge
for about a week.

By then the flavour should have developed. If you're "picky" you can
strain it as it makes it look better. I just leave it until it's all used
up - it doesn't usually last long!

Good Heavens! When I suggested doing that on a food preserving ng I was
attacked from all sides with threats of botulism :-) Didn't stop me of
course!

Mary