That's it for me...not OT..or is it? DON'T GIVE UP!

Old September 14th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon & Jack

Default That's it for me...not OT..or is it? DON'T GIVE UP!

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, carpel tunnel in both wrists, and
I get bursitis in both shoulders and hips, and have had 2 fusions and 2
decompressions done on my lower spine. There's more, but I don't want to
bore everyone, just want to say you have all my sympathy, and maybe a few
things that hopefully you can use.

In 1999 I had some reconstructive surgery on my hand. I also had carpel
tunnel in both wrists, but I did not want more surgery. My surgeon told me
to take 50 mg of vitamin B6 every day. It works. Or at least helps a lot.
I haven't had to return for it, and any flair ups have been mild, and in
hind sight, my fault. He also gave me wrist splints, and as soon as I have
any significant pain, those go on.

I protect my hands and wrists as much as possible - I type letters instead
of writing, or phone ( better than never hearing from me again. I think.).
I tend to use my hip or shoulder to open swing doors instead of pushing
them open with my hands. Try those lever door handles that you can push up
and down instead of grasping and turning.

Use a battery operated toothbrush - they have bigger handles and some are
ergonomically angled. Sometimes I use ice packs (20 minutes at a time). If
that doesn't help, I've also filled a deep pot with hot water and drop my
hand and wrist in that. I also don't iron much any more.

The biggest thing is, don't give up anything you love to do. Even if you
can only do it for 10 minutes at a time. Do the most important things early
in the day.

Good luck!
Sharon

Old September 14th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:26:09 GMT, "Sharon & Jack"
wrote:

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, carpel tunnel in both wrists, and
I get bursitis in both shoulders and hips, and have had 2 fusions and 2
decompressions done on my lower spine. There's more, but I don't want to
bore everyone, just want to say you have all my sympathy, and maybe a few
things that hopefully you can use.

In 1999 I had some reconstructive surgery on my hand. I also had carpel
tunnel in both wrists, but I did not want more surgery. My surgeon told me
to take 50 mg of vitamin B6 every day. It works. Or at least helps a lot.
I haven't had to return for it, and any flair ups have been mild, and in
hind sight, my fault. He also gave me wrist splints, and as soon as I have
any significant pain, those go on.

I had forgotten about taking Vitamin B6 when I had carpel tunnel, but
you are right it does work. Another little trick my doctor taught me
just a few weeks ago and it works too, is if you are prone to have
leg/feet/toe cramps, take Slow-Mag, which can be found at Walmart, it
is a little expensive according to the doctor but I thought it was
worth every penny I spent on it. I too have Fibromyalgia and carpel
tunnel to name a few things. Many more we won't talk about tonight.
BTW, if anyone decides to try Slow-Mag, he said to take two tablets
per day, the first two weeks and one every day there after. I admit I
hate pills so I quit mine after the cramps quit but just remembered
that last night I was awakened by a big ole leg cramp so I just took
them while typing this. I was also told by the doctor that Magnesium
was something that most diabetics lack and so do heart patients. Too
much will give you the "trots" that is why you take the Slow Mag and
not pure Magnesium. Not a doctor but these both worked for me.

Jacqueline

[...]

http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things
Old September 14th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cathy

how much Magnesium is in the Slo-Mag? the Calcium I take 2x daily has
Magnesium in it as well

Cathy in BC

. . .

Old September 14th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Oh, watch out for that Slo-Mag! It...um... well, just remember what
they make Milk of Magnesia out of....

Monique in TX

Old September 15th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tigg

Sharon & Jack wrote:
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, carpel tunnel in both wrists, and
I get bursitis in both shoulders and hips, and have had 2 fusions and 2
decompressions done on my lower spine. There's more, but I don't want to
bore everyone, just want to say you have all my sympathy, and maybe a few
things that hopefully you can use.

Sharon, I empathize with you. While I don't understand everything that
you are dealing with, I do know about the RA and fusions. I had a
wrist splint for my right hand but have lost it years ago during a move
(didn't need it and now wish I still had it). My left wrist is fused
surgically, my right fused itself to the point it is now and will
probably continue to do so (it doesn't hurt like the left one did and
since I'm left handed, it kept getting worse...now it doesn't hurt
hardly at all).

I protect my hands and wrists as much as possible - I type letters instead
of writing, or phone ( better than never hearing from me again. I think.).
I tend to use my hip or shoulder to open swing doors instead of pushing
them open with my hands. Try those lever door handles that you can push up
and down instead of grasping and turning.

On opening doors like in an office...at least when I can push them, I
tend to use my forearm, if not my hip. If they have the handicap
button that opens the doors and I'm having more trouble than normal, I
use that. I wish I had the lever door handles on my apartment doors.
I used to have these rubber doorknob covers but they now reside at
Mom's (she needs them more than I do). I may wind up requesting the
lever handles be put on here in the near future but right now I can
still grasp the knob.

Use a battery operated toothbrush - they have bigger handles and some are
ergonomically angled. Sometimes I use ice packs (20 minutes at a time). If
that doesn't help, I've also filled a deep pot with hot water and drop my
hand and wrist in that. I also don't iron much any more.

I can say if you don't like a battery operated toothbrush, there are
brands out there with a fatter handle. I can't remember which ones off
the top of my head, but I know I've seen them. I grew up with Oral B
and tend to stick with that, and the one I have now has a decent handle
for gripping.

The biggest thing is, don't give up anything you love to do. Even if you
can only do it for 10 minutes at a time. Do the most important things early
in the day.

I second this whole-heartedly. When I was going through the divorce, I
gave up everything I loved, mainly because I was too depressed to do
anything but sleep. I didn't read, sing, quilt, knit, or anything....I
am back to doing most of those things again (I've even done some
knitting but not much). Try to keep your stress level down to a
minimum. Stress brings on flairs.

Tigg (who will admit that I have no clue where this topic started since
I don't check in very often).

Old September 15th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

And magnesium citrate that I drank a bottle of a week ago tonight! That
keeps you hopping! And afraid to cough. tee hee.
But it helps to start cleaning out the gut before the NuLightly! I'm glad
that's all "behind" me.....heheheheh.
KJ

Old September 15th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon & Jack

Default That's it for me...not OT..or is it? DON'T GIVE UP! SLOW-MAG

[...]

Slow-Mag....hmmm. Wonder if a 12 yr old can take it. My DGS gets leg
cramps at night. I'll have to tell DD about this. He eats a lot of
bananas, and loves
V8 juice but nothing helps. Thanks!
Sharon

Old September 15th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

Default OT: That's it for me...not OT..or is it? DON'T GIVE UP!

Oh, you bring back such wonderful memories of last December - even with the
poor pun. The joys of being over 50 (and in my case, having a family history
of colon cancer).

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old September 15th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Sharon & Jack wrote:
Slow-Mag....hmmm. Wonder if a 12 yr old can take it. My DGS gets leg
cramps at night. I'll have to tell DD about this. He eats a lot of
bananas, and loves
V8 juice but nothing helps. Thanks!
Sharon

Sharon,

Bananas are binders, which cause constipation. DSs doctor said to try a
tsp. of M.of M. 2x a day for DS. One of the side effects of his current
med is bowel issues, but he has *always* been like this. DH says it's
just because he's so "anal retentive" about everything that this is just
a physical manifestation. Anyway, that is something I will give a
try...hopefully there won't be any accidents...if there are, doc said to
decrease to 1 tsp a day. DS is 6...might want to try this with your DGS
before giving something strictly formulated for adults.

JMHO,

Larisa