My Windfall

Old March 25th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default My Windfall

Thats wonderful. I also was given old knitting books and crochet books
from an estate..dating the 30's and 40's I have books here up to the
80's Its facinating to see the patterns for skirts and dresses. It
would take forever to knit one of those with fine yarn. Anyone
interested in a book or two let me know..I would be willing to sell a
few.

Old March 25th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

YarnWright wrote:
"hesira" wrote in message
ups.com...
I finally found some measurements in these old patterns. Check this
out! in 1946 a size 14 measured: Bust 32", Waist 26 1/2" Hips 35".
Well, I'm no size 14 anymore! Also, in some of the patterns calling
for worsted weight yarn, the needle called for is 3 or 4. The gauge
is 6 st to 1" stockinette. That sounds more like a #7 needle to me.
Have needle sizes changed too?

Hesira

Oh, I know how the sizes have changed, and they've changed again not
all that long ago....
A junior size 3 or 5 a few years ago is now a junior 0 or 1!!
That's why I crack up over the weight loss commercial where the model
says she went from a size 10 to a size 6... well, let's be honest
there, lady, you actually lost one size, not two!
I hate when bigger people want to feel little, and the manufacturers
accommodate them by resizing so a size ten can now say, oh I wear an
8. Or a junior size 7 or 9 can now say, oh I wear a 5 or a 3, and
those who were actually a 5 or 3 now have to hunt for the elusive 0's
and 1's. I'm on a roll, i'm on my soapbox.
another thing that really gets me is...
I would NEVER ever say to someone's face:
oh, you're so fat.
or
oh, you're so big.
or
oh, you're so heavy.
Its just rude.
But, people will use insulting terms to small people and say:
oh, you're so skinny.
or
oh, you must be anorexic.
Skinny is insulting. Anorexic, when one is not is damned insulting.
Slender, small are better terms, but why to big people feel the need
to point it out? Like I said, I don't point it out to the bigger
people. jeeeeeeeeeez.
off my soapbox now, roll over.
Noreen

Oh, treasure, I would never insult anyone by commenting on their size,
whether small or large. I prefer people as people, not as sizes.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 25th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Katherine" wrote in message
YarnWright wrote:
"hesira" wrote in message
[...]

Katherine,
Dear heart, I know you wouldn't, I know a lot of people who wouldn't, but
I know plenty of ppl who DO!
I agree, about seeing ppl, not their size, or for that matter, their colour
or ethnicity!
Hugs,
Noreen
(but one distinction I DO make IS: whether ppl. are good or not!)

Old March 25th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

YarnWright wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
YarnWright wrote:
"hesira" wrote in message
[...]

Well, yes! But we can't *see* that, can we? :-(

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 25th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

YarnWright wrote:
"hesira" wrote in message
ups.com...
I finally found some measurements in these old patterns. Check this
out! in 1946 a size 14 measured: Bust 32", Waist 26 1/2" Hips 35".
Well, I'm no size 14 anymore! Also, in some of the patterns calling
for worsted weight yarn, the needle called for is 3 or 4. The gauge is
6 st to 1" stockinette. That sounds more like a #7 needle to me. Have
needle sizes changed too?

Hesira

whoops, in my earlier 'rant' I forgot to say, YES, needle sizes have
changed too.
Noreen

My oldest needles are from the mid 60s when I first began knitting and
though they're labeled 5, they fit into the size 6 hole in my needle
gauge. A little loosely, but they're too large for the 5 hole.

sue
Old March 25th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Showing a picture without selling it or making money from it , just
for curiousity , Does Not violate Any copyright laws ,,, i think from
fear of breaking any laws you are a bit over anxious. Also if the
books are indeed from the 1940 s ,,, copy rights aren`t valid any more
, At those times persons bought a mag or pattern and happily made
whatever they wanted with it ... [ copy possibilities were not so
advanced !!!!] I saw my maother`s friends go to knoiytting shops and
write copybooks full of patterns they saw there .
As to measures , just GAUGUE your own threads and convert everything
to YOUR measurements ,,,, as well as using your own chosen threads ,
unless you want to reconstruct the patterns , there is no need to use
all the original stuff , even if you could find it .
mirjam

Hi All,

I wanted to share my good fortune with you and maybe get a little
advice. One of my students was the sole heir to his grandmother's
estate. Among the things was a stack of needlework pattern books
ranging in dates from the 1930's to the 70's with the majority of them
from the 40's & 50's. Most of the books are for baby patterns, and are
really adorable, and timeless, but a few focus on adult patterns that
are incredible. One of them is a Bernat knitting pattern book, and I
can't find a copyright, but I'm guessing mid-40's. The patterns are
elegant and most even look contemporary.

Well, I'm tempted to make myself a sweater, but I'm pretty sure the
sizes are NOT contemporary. The smallest size listed is 12, and the
models are very thin, so I'm guessing that would probably be a size 6.
Also, most of the yarns are no longer available, so I'll have to find
an appropriate substitute. I can figure that part out. I wish I had a
scanner so I could show you some of the photos of the various pieces,
but that might violate copyright.

Anyway, just sharing...

Hesira

Old March 25th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Needle sizes have 3 `trends` , European - mm , English and American
,,, see if the books were printed in UK or USA this will solve that
mystery i think by the sizes that they are from UK ,,,,,???
mirjam

Old March 25th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

About 15-20 years ago Bras manufactureres chnged bras sizes soi that
ladies won`t feel so gross,,,, seems that the wide use of the pill
increased breast sizes.
mirjam

oups.com...

Old March 25th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Me neither ,,, but sometimes ..... i am on the border of almost saying
it ,, esp when a `different` sized lady comments to me about my Not
dying my hair ,,,And lately when a Double my size lady told me iwas
Fat ,,, [i wanted to say :at least i still got ankles and a Talia ,,,
But i closed my mouth ...]
mirjam

Old March 25th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

If she will follow a 1940-50 pattern than Authomaticly there will be
decreases and increases of stiches in the hips , the breasts etc,,,
if i remember correctly we stopped making all those `tailoring`
decreases /increases at the end of 60`s ,,,,
. With
such a firm fabric, the tailoring must be exact.

Any knitting unless it meant to be unsized needs some `tailored` pre
planned stiches ...
On the other hand, it can be really beautiful! Stitch patterns stand out
and show the knitter's skill. The garment will have a definite shape that
can really flatter, rather than hiding the figure of the wearer. Definitely
a pattern for someone that wants to show off.

I think moodern patterns are very Showing Off the knitter`s skills ,
so many laws of Do and don`t aren`t taught anymore that any knitter
who can produce a fine knit should be congratulated .
If she gaugues her wool ANY wool she can transpose her sizes ,,,
easily ,
mirjam
You could use a sport weight yarn to get the same number of stitches per
inch in a softer, more modern fabric, but it will have a very different
drape and a less tailored look.

Needle sizes for the small "steel needles" have changed, but not for US size
3 & 7. While the standards remain the same, what we use has changed. In
those days, # 3 was a big needle for fast and easy knitting projects.

Aaron

oups.com...