Looking for metric needles

Old March 23rd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Looking for metric needles

If any of you have a 7.5mm circular needle, 80cm or so, that you'd like
to part with -- I'm interested in buying one. Or perhaps one of the
Canadians would be able to buy one from their LYS and mail it to me -
pre-payment to be arranged. Contact me at my good address -- qiuser at
yahoo dot com.

sue
Old March 23rd 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

suzee wrote:
If any of you have a 7.5mm circular needle, 80cm or so, that you'd like
to part with -- I'm interested in buying one. Or perhaps one of the
Canadians would be able to buy one from their LYS and mail it to me -
pre-payment to be arranged. Contact me at my good address -- qiuser at
yahoo dot com.

sue

Hi all,
Jenny here, feeling muuuuch better now .
I have a lot of circular needles, but I don't know what size they are.
not in a wrapper,and not on the needles, if someone here can tell me how
to tell the sizes ?and if I have what you are looking for I can send
them to you. I think at one time I had a "card" with different size
holes that was for needle sizing, lost in my stash now, is there another
way to know the size?
Jenny
Old March 23rd 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , jheller wrote:
suzee wrote:
If any of you have a 7.5mm circular needle, 80cm or so, that you'd like
to part with -- I'm interested in buying one. Or perhaps one of the
Canadians would be able to buy one from their LYS and mail it to me -
pre-payment to be arranged. Contact me at my good address -- qiuser at
yahoo dot com.

Jenny here, feeling muuuuch better now .
I have a lot of circular needles, but I don't know what size they are.
not in a wrapper,and not on the needles, if someone here can tell me how
to tell the sizes ?and if I have what you are looking for I can send
them to you. I think at one time I had a "card" with different size
holes that was for needle sizing, lost in my stash now, is there another
way to know the size?

7.5mm would be close to 5/16 of an inch. But trying to measure knitting
needles with a flat ruler is pretty hopeless. You'd have to poke a hole
in a piece of paper and trim it so that it fit the needle exactly and
then measure precisely across the center with a metric ruler (most new
rulers have the metric measurements on one edge). It might be easier to
find your needle gauge.

Also, it's a size that doesn't even appear on my conversion card,
which lists metric sizes 7mm (US 10 1/2) and 8mm (US 10 3/4) but
not 7.5mm.

=Tamar
Old March 23rd 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Richard Eney wrote:
In article , jheller wrote:
suzee wrote:
[...]

I have a needle gauge that has US/metric on one side and US/Imperial(UK)
on the other side with measurements in inches and centimeters along the
edges. It has 10.5 as 6.5mm which I think is standard. Very handy gadget
- discovered that some of my really old needles are almost the next size
up from what they're labelled.

And Jenny, you could take some that you think might be close to 7.5mm
with you to a store and `try out' their needle gauge to see which is
what.

sue
Old March 23rd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

http://knitting.about.com/library/blneedleconv.htm

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
: In article , jheller
:

Old March 23rd 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

suzee wrote:
If any of you have a 7.5mm circular needle, 80cm or so, that you'd like
to part with -- I'm interested in buying one. Or perhaps one of the
Canadians would be able to buy one from their LYS and mail it to me -
pre-payment to be arranged. Contact me at my good address -- qiuser at
yahoo dot com.

sue

You can buy metric needles from us

http://www.yarnforward.com/needleshooks.html

And a needle guage

http://www.yarnforward.com/kalist.html

There is a funky one at the top of the page, or scroll down for a low
cost one.

Roger.
Old March 23rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Yarn Forward wrote:
suzee wrote:
If any of you have a 7.5mm circular needle, 80cm or so, that you'd like
to part with -- I'm interested in buying one. Or perhaps one of the
Canadians would be able to buy one from their LYS and mail it to me -
pre-payment to be arranged. Contact me at my good address -- qiuser at
yahoo dot com.

sue

You can buy metric needles from us

http://www.yarnforward.com/needleshooks.html

And a needle guage

http://www.yarnforward.com/kalist.html

There is a funky one at the top of the page, or scroll down for a low
cost one.

I was at this page last night, but don't see any 7.5mm except in the set.

sue

Old March 24th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , suzee wrote:
Richard Eney wrote:

Also, it's a size that doesn't even appear on my conversion card,
which lists metric sizes 7mm (US 10 1/2) and 8mm (US 10 3/4) but
not 7.5mm.

I have a needle gauge that has US/metric on one side and US/Imperial(UK)
on the other side with measurements in inches and centimeters along the
edges. It has 10.5 as 6.5mm which I think is standard.

You're right, I misread my card. US 10 1/2 is 6.5mm, US 10 3/4 is 7mm.
US 11 is 8mm. But still no 7.5mm on the card.

Very handy gadget - discovered that some of my really old needles
are almost the next size up from what they're labelled.

I once tried to correlate several different conversion lists and there
were some big differences. Of course, the size changes in the mid-20th
century didn't help, but the variations go back further than that.
I have a bunch of antique knitting needles and they are all sizes in
between the official ones even on the old gauges.

And Jenny, you could take some that you think might be close to 7.5mm
with you to a store and `try out' their needle gauge to see which is
what.

What a good idea!

=Tamar
Old March 24th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Richard Eney wrote:
In article , suzee wrote:
Richard Eney wrote:

[...]

Mine aren't exactly antiques, they're younger than I am! They're about
40 years old though.

And Jenny, you could take some that you think might be close to 7.5mm
with you to a store and `try out' their needle gauge to see which is
what.

What a good idea!

I did that with a couple when I started up knitting again last year. I
wasn't sure what sizes they were.

sue

Hard S.E.X.; The Search for Golden Needles Yarn 6 January 5th 06 09:09 PM
Gauge: Circular vs Straight needles Gallagher Yarn 13 August 25th 04 11:56 PM
John James Needles Suzanne Needlework 3 July 20th 04 11:56 PM
Request for your extra needles and hooks Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 2 February 5th 04 07:41 PM
Nickel plated brass needles AGRES Yarn 0 July 24th 03 09:59 PM