Getting a HUGE loose loop at end of row.

Old March 23rd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Getting a HUGE loose loop at end of row.

Hi everyone,

I'm a new knitter, and I have been practising making swatches and
stuff. I'm learning to knit so that I can knit a sweater for my five
month old Munchkin kitten as winter is approaching here in Tasmania.

I've been running into a problem however. I cast on loosely (though not
too loosely) and knit with an okay tension (the needle goes in through
the loop on the other needle fine) but I realise that as I progress
down each row, the yarn just seems to get looser and looser, no matter
how tight I loop the yarn around the needle. This happens regardless if
I knit or purl. What I end up with at the end is having a swatch with
perfectly even texture but this incredibly huge loop of yarn that I
just can't gather up. Trying to pull the yarn from the skein side
doesn't budge it. It's like, stuck or something. I end up having to tie
off a huge loop at the end of every row, and knitting gets unbearably
difficult once I get halfway through the row, as the needle has to go
through a loop the size of a barn on the other needle, and I have to
pull a lot here and there just to keep the fabric even in texture.

Am I making any sense? I hope someone here knows of what I'm talking
about and can give me some advice!

Thanks for reading!

Old March 23rd 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

From one Aussie to another - HI!

Not sure I fully understand what your knitting problem is
but there are experts here who can probably help. But let
me tell you - your munchkin will love those loopy blocks to
make a nest in far more than a jumper!! LOL You have
just described cat heaven!

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"aonaich" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hi everyone,
:

Old March 23rd 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hello!

It IS a weird problem isn't it? Maybe I should throw in a few more
details, um I was using 100% wool Panda Woolbale 8ply with 6mm straight
needles and it was happening when I was knitting garter stitch and
stockinette stitch. Were the needles too big?

Haha I sprayed some catnip on the swatches and threw 'em all into his
hideyhole and he went nutz!!

I can't say that cats and yarn don't mix in the play, but it sure is
war time when I'm trying to knit! Me on one end and him on the other
and my hubby in between rescuing what yarn he can LOL!

Old March 23rd 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article .com,
aonaich wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a new knitter, and I have been practising making swatches and
stuff. I'm learning to knit so that I can knit a sweater for my five
month old Munchkin kitten as winter is approaching here in Tasmania.

A blanket might be better. Kittens rarely wear sweaters, though
maybe you could train it. (check out http://www.stuffonmycat.com)

I've been running into a problem however. I cast on loosely (though not
too loosely) and knit with an okay tension (the needle goes in through
the loop on the other needle fine) but I realise that as I progress
down each row, the yarn just seems to get looser and looser, no matter
how tight I loop the yarn around the needle. This happens regardless if
I knit or purl. What I end up with at the end is having a swatch with
perfectly even texture but this incredibly huge loop of yarn that I
just can't gather up. Trying to pull the yarn from the skein side
doesn't budge it. It's like, stuck or something. I end up having to tie
off a huge loop at the end of every row,

This seems very odd to me. I once taught someone to knit and their
project used bulky yarn; since you say (in the other post) that you
are using 6mm needles (US size 10), it's probably about the same weight.
She also had a large loop at the end of the row, but only at the end,
not along the way. Her problem was that she didn't tighten the stitch
again after turning at the end to start back. The solution was to
(1) turn the work
(2) put the needle through the first stitch
(3) hold both needles with left hand and use right hand to yank that
last/first stitch tight
(4) put the yarn around the tip of the needle that is through the
now-tightened loop
(5) grab the appropriate needle with the right hand and make the stitch
(6) continue down the row

Maybe if you take care to tighten each stitch along the row, immediately
after making the stitch, the tension would stay even. Tugging on the
skein end of the yarn after every stitch is how I keep my knitting tight.

and knitting gets unbearably difficult once I get halfway through the
row, as the needle has to go through a loop the size of a barn on the
other needle, and I have to pull a lot here and there just to keep the
fabric even in texture.

Now I'm confused. If you can tug it so that you get the "perfectly
even texture" you said you had in the paragraph up top, how can it be
that pulling on the skein side doesn't budge it? You can't easily
tighten an _entire row at once_, true; that wouldn't budge. But you
can tighten _each stitch as you go along_.

Are you using a mohair type of yarn? Mohair does "grab" more and
is very hard to adjust or rip.

=Tamar
Old March 23rd 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

For an 8ply wool I would normally work on 4mm needles, and
you could try slipping the first stitch of every row.

Is there a reason you chose 6mm needles?

How long are your needles? If they are super long and you
are a beginner they may be a bt awkward.

How many stitches are you working on?

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )
Enness Boofhead Donut

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"aonaich" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hello!
:

Old March 23rd 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hello!

"A blanket might be better. Kittens rarely wear sweaters, though
maybe you could train it."

Oh Cooper's already used to wearing his turtleneck woolen sweater. It's
actually a dog's sweater but I got a smaller one so that it would fit
him.

[...]

Oh I do that, but the problem is that the loose knot is *not* connected
to the skein-side yarn, rather it seems to be the yarn of the
*previous* row that I knitted/purled. Um, let me try to give a
"walk-through":

1) I insert the right needle into the top loop on the left needle to
knit.
2) The top loop on the right needle (skein-side, so to speak) is kept
nice and firm all the way.
3) It is the yarn under the top loop on the right needle is loose, and
to tighten it, I have to pull the top loop on the left needle to gather
in the slack. That results in the huge top loop on the left needle.
4) So I keep gathering up the slack from the resulting fabric all the
way down the row like this until I get to the end of the row with this
loop sticking out, large enough for me to put four fingers through.
5) I tried the method I quoted above but if I don't tie off the loop
with a dead knot at the end of each row, it just gets bigger and bigger
and more and more unmanageable.

"Now I'm confused. If you can tug it so that you get the "perfectly
even texture" you said you had in the paragraph up top, how can it be
that pulling on the skein side doesn't budge it? You can't easily
tighten an _entire row at once_, true; that wouldn't budge. But you
can tighten _each stitch as you go along_. "

See that's the confusing bit. I do tighten each stitch of the row that
I am currently knitting as I go along, but the slack is not coming from
the row that I'm currently knitting. It seems to "materialise" from the
row below! I just don't get it. And no matter how tight I make the
current row that I am knitting, once I start on the next row, the same
problem materialises. ARGH!!!

"Are you using a mohair type of yarn? Mohair does "grab" more and
is very hard to adjust or rip."

I think it is crepe yarn, it doesn't say on the label, it's just 100%
wool 8 ply Panda Woolbale yarn that I got from Spotlight.

"Purl your last stitch.
Then when you turn, slip your first stitch.
and... WELCOME, from Tennessee, USA! "

I'll give that a shot thanks! And thanks for the welcome!

"For an 8ply wool I would normally work on 4mm needles, and
you could try slipping the first stitch of every row.

Is there a reason you chose 6mm needles?"

No reason actually LOL, I was just messing around, trying all sorts of
combinations with my swatches while practicing.

"How long are your needles? If they are super long and you
are a beginner they may be a bt awkward. "

I think they are the "normal" length? Um, I don't have the slip that
came along with the needles any more but it seemed like all the needles
hanging on the row in Spotlight was of this length so I'm assuming it's
average? LOL man I sound so NEWBISH! Harhar

"How many stitches are you working on? "

At the time I was doing 35 stitches.

=== === === ===

I've given up and tossed that horrible swatch! I'm using 4mm needles
now and practicing a swatch in two by two rib that I got from here
http://knitting.about.com/library/bl2rib.htm using 100% wool
Cleckheaton Machinewash 8 ply Crepe, and I haven't been having any of
that previous problem. I'm starting to think that I may have created
the whole problem myself by trying to play around with 8 ply yarn on
king sized needles (6mm) to produce fabric looking like it was knitted
on 4mm needles.

I mean, you knit yarn on needles too big and it is sure to produce
loose fabric isn't it?

Thanks for all the time and advice! I'm going to go do some reading on
slipping right now, cuz I haven't the foggiest as to what that is! LOL!

Old March 24th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Sorry,"aonaich", I tried to think of a solution for you but all I could
think of was smaller needles and I see in your later post that you have been
successful by doing just that so all is well - do no hesitate to contact the
group if you run into any further problems as there is always someone here
who can help.

Now a big welcome to the group from another Aussie to you and "cats", So
you are from the most beautiful of all states, Tasmania ? I just love it
down there. I am from the Gold Coast Qld. - my ambition would be to spend
summers in Tasmania and winters in Qld. e mail me off line so that we can
get to "know" one another - I have always felt it just amazing that it would
appear that I was the only Aussie on the group. God Bless Gwen

Old March 24th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hello "Cats" here is another Aussie - where are you from - I am in QLd
God Bless Gwen

"Cats" wrote in message
From one Aussie to another - HI!

Not sure I fully understand what your knitting problem is
but there are experts here who can probably help. But let
me tell you - your munchkin will love those loopy blocks to
make a nest in far more than a jumper!! LOL You have
just described cat heaven!

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )
Enness Boofhead Donut

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"aonaich" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hi everyone,
:

Old March 24th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Gwen, I am down south in Victoria. I mostly lurk here, as
my main interest is quilting. But I am getting back into
knitting, and am currently madly making socks for the coming
cold months.
--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )
Enness Boofhead Donut

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Gwen" wrote in
message ...
:
:
: Hello "Cats" here is another Aussie - where are you
rom - I am in QLd
: God Bless Gwen
:
:
: "Cats" wrote in message
: ...
: From one Aussie to another - HI!
:
: Not sure I fully understand what your knitting problem
is
: but there are experts here who can probably help. But
let
: me tell you - your munchkin will love those loopy blocks
: make a nest in far more than a jumper!! LOL You
have
: just described cat heaven!
:
: --
: Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
: ( U ) ( U ) ( U )
: Enness Boofhead Donut
:
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
: "aonaich" wrote in message
:
oups.com...
: : Hi everyone,
: :

Old March 24th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article .com,
aonaich wrote:

"A blanket might be better. Kittens rarely wear sweaters, though
maybe you could train it."

Oh Cooper's already used to wearing his turtleneck woolen sweater. It's
actually a dog's sweater but I got a smaller one so that it would fit
him.

Have you seen the picture on www.stuffonmycat.com of a cat wearing a
crocheted hat with earcovers, and a scarf?

snip
2) The top loop on the right needle (skein-side, so to speak) is kept
nice and firm all the way.
3) It is the yarn under the top loop on the right needle is loose, and
to tighten it, I have to pull the top loop on the left needle to gather
in the slack. That results in the huge top loop on the left needle.

snip
See that's the confusing bit. I do tighten each stitch of the row that
I am currently knitting as I go along, but the slack is not coming from
the row that I'm currently knitting. It seems to "materialise" from the
row below! I just don't get it. And no matter how tight I make the
current row that I am knitting, once I start on the next row, the same
problem materialises. ARGH!!!

Oh, I think I see now. Once you take the needle out of the stitch,
it won't be as tight as it was with the needle in it. Just leave
the "slack" there.

snip
=== === === ===

I've given up and tossed that horrible swatch! I'm using 4mm needles
now and practicing a swatch in two by two rib that I got from here
http://knitting.about.com/library/bl2rib.htm using 100% wool
Cleckheaton Machinewash 8 ply Crepe, and I haven't been having any of
that previous problem. I'm starting to think that I may have created
the whole problem myself by trying to play around with 8 ply yarn on
king sized needles (6mm) to produce fabric looking like it was knitted
on 4mm needles.

I mean, you knit yarn on needles too big and it is sure to produce
loose fabric isn't it?

Yup. :-) I'm glad you figured it out.

Thanks for all the time and advice! I'm going to go do some reading on
slipping right now, cuz I haven't the foggiest as to what that is! LOL!

Just what it says - slip the old stitch over to the other needle
without actually knitting it, while holding the yarn in back (usually).

=Tamar

Relockable Loop Knot Announcement O J Knots 0 January 12th 05 09:26 AM
Renee's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:18 AM
O J's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:09 AM
Double Dragon Loop? roo Knots 5 April 9th 04 09:47 PM
To loop or not to loop?? Jenn Ridley Needlework 1 August 16th 03 01:55 AM