Knitting on the Radio!

Old February 26th 05, 07:45 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Knitting on the Radio!

Joy Cardin - who hosts 3 hours of talk week days on Wisc. Pub Radio "The
Ideas Network", will feature a show Monday morning, February 28, at 6
a.m. CST

"Why are so many turning to knitting? After six, Joy Cardin's guest
tells us what's behind the knitting craze.
Guest: Susan VandeWalle (VAN da-wall), owner of Lakeside Fibers in Madison."

While I realize many of you don't receive this channel, you can listen
on-line by going to http://wpr.org/webcasting. I know that's a tad
early. :-)

Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old February 27th 05, 04:23 AM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

"Why are so many turning to knitting? After six, Joy Cardin's guest
tells us what's behind the knitting craze.

Pretty fibers, relatively quick completion rate, tactile and emotional
satisfaction plus positive strokes when your friends won't believe that
you actually made that yourself. And unlike needlework, you don't have
to let anyone into your house to get strokes because you can wear
(relatively more of) the results of your knitting out.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 27th 05, 06:03 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

The need to do some `hand work`, wanting to have some personalized
items. Less working people ,more time in public transportation. The
`Normal` cycle of trends. Easy accessibility to more people. The PUSH
of manufactureres who lost markets. Changing weather and a General
world need to reduce Heating costs and levels . Changing Cultural
trends. Abnormal rise in prizes of Fashion items , while the ones in
trend are made with techniques we all can do . A `pendulum ` move of
Human needs , not only to cherish Technology .. Life seems too
complicated , if you knit YOU control the outcome ....
there are so many factores to be taken in account , but why not just
sit down and enjoy the making !!!
mirjam

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old February 27th 05, 11:47 AM
Pat EAXStitch

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
The need to do some `hand work`, wanting to have some personalized
items. Less working people ,more time in public transportation. The
`Normal` cycle of trends. Easy accessibility to more people. The PUSH
of manufactureres who lost markets. Changing weather and a General
world need to reduce Heating costs and levels . Changing Cultural
trends. Abnormal rise in prizes of Fashion items , while the ones in
trend are made with techniques we all can do . A `pendulum ` move of
Human needs , not only to cherish Technology .. Life seems too
complicated , if you knit YOU control the outcome ....
there are so many factores to be taken in account , but why not just
sit down and enjoy the making !!!
mirjam

I`m sure that when more people knitted, there was far less need for
tranquilisers! It`s very soothing, both to do yourself and to be in the
company of someone who`s knitting. Unless a stitch is dropped or an error is
discovered a few rows down that is! ;-)

Pat P

Old February 27th 05, 11:50 AM

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
The need to do some `hand work`, wanting to have some personalized
items... Life seems too

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Pretty fibers, relatively quick completion rate, tactile and

emotional
satisfaction plus positive strokes when your friends won't believe

that
you actually made that yourself.
Elizabeth

Very true...on all counts!
Lisa

Old February 27th 05, 11:45 PM
Linda D.

Pat,

You would be very happy to know there has been a huge resurgence of
knitting where Iive. We have a fairly new yarn shop specializing in
gorgeous yarns. They offer classes in knitting, finishing, etc. They
also hold a knitting retreat each Spring and from what I hear it's
fantastic. This year they offered bead knitting and it was a huge hit
with the participants.

I've been amazed at all the people (under 70 yrs.) knitting socks with
all those cool specially dyed yarns. The fluffy scarves are not as
popular as they were, but they are still around.

take care, Linda

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:47:33 GMT, "Pat EAXStitch"
wrote:

I`m sure that when more people knitted, there was far less need for
tranquilisers! It`s very soothing, both to do yourself and to be in the
company of someone who`s knitting. Unless a stitch is dropped or an error is
discovered a few rows down that is! ;-)

Pat P

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
See pictures of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau
Recently finished UFO's a TIAG's "The Auction", Just Nan's "Christmas Elegance", and "Jane" a bead knit bag and matching change purse, a design by Swallow Hill Creations.
Old February 28th 05, 05:14 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Mrs PP, The Renaissance of knitting in USA is already in it`s 6th -8th
year [maybe even 10th] , and still going stronger ,,And from there it
slowly knitted itself all over the globe ,,,
You could feel it by the number of New knitting mags, new knitting
books as well as new threads , needles etc...
mirjam

Old February 28th 05, 09:36 AM
Marie Lawrence

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Mrs PP, The Renaissance of knitting in USA is already in it`s 6th -8th
year [maybe even 10th] , and still going stronger ,,And from there it
slowly knitted itself all over the globe ,,,
You could feel it by the number of New knitting mags, new knitting
books as well as new threads , needles etc...
mirjam

Knitting has always been popular in Australia, maybe because we are big
wool producers.In primary school we learnt to knit, if we did not know
already. I can remember knitting bed socks . I always knitted for my
family,, at one stage buying a knitting machine because I could not keep up
with making garments for my daughter and twin sons. Now they are grown up,
I knit by hand, not for growing children!

I was surprised to see that people were requesting help with knitting, it
never occurred to me that folk did not know how ? Marie in OZ

Old February 28th 05, 11:23 AM
Dr. Brat

Marie Lawrence wrote:

Knitting has always been popular in Australia, maybe because we are big
wool producers.In primary school we learnt to knit, if we did not know
already. I can remember knitting bed socks . I always knitted for my
family,, at one stage buying a knitting machine because I could not keep up
with making garments for my daughter and twin sons. Now they are grown up,
I knit by hand, not for growing children!

I was surprised to see that people were requesting help with knitting, it
never occurred to me that folk did not know how ? Marie in OZ

That's because you learned in school. I know very few Americans who
learned to knit in school and none of those attended public schools. My
mother taught me to knit when I was in grade school, but the lesson
didn't take, so a friend taught me again in college. That friend had
learned when she was an exchange student in Germany, where she claimed
all the girls learned to knit in school. I started knitting a lot when
I lived in Poland, where I would carry a project with me to knit on the
bus or standing in line (one did a lot of standing in line in Poland in
1989). I essentially stopped when I moved home, not picking it up again
until a year ago when I got sucked in by the scarf craze.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 28th 05, 02:38 PM
Sally Swindells

I watched a piece on the news the other day about the resurgence of
knitting, and the rise of 'art' knitting - knitted ornaments,
telephone covers etc. and they had three youngish people sitting on
London Bridge (bet they had cold fingers) knitting. Unfortunately they
gave the impression they had only learnt just before the interview,
and to watch their laboured progress was painful!

Its the same when they show people on TV plays knitting; it really
kills it dead when its suppposed to be someone who has knitted for
ever and they keep taking their hands off the needle to wrap the wool
round slowly. No clicking of needles for them.

Incidently when my son was about 14 we spent a whole day on holiday
looking for a wool shop because he wanted to knit a hat. He did finish
it, but never wore it!

Pat - Quilters Haven at Wickham Market now have a little wool
department with the most gorgeous wools. However I am saving my
knitting skills for when I have grandchildren and the garments will be
small!

Sally