Glass or no glass for framed work?

Old January 1st 04, 03:35 AM
Bergen

Default Glass or no glass for framed work?

I'm almost done stitching a portrait (140x120x90 colors) and was curious
what the opinion was on putting it under glass? I remember reading somewhere
not to because it flattens out the stitches? The person receiving this has
smokers in the house and I would like to protect it from yellowing.

Old January 1st 04, 04:11 AM
Yggdrasil

As the piece is going to a home where someone smokes, I'd say
definately use glass. Just make sure the framer uses spacers so that
the glass does not rest on the needlework. Spacers are also very
important if a piece with beads is being framed with a glass.

Good luck-

Katla

Old January 1st 04, 04:12 AM
Julie T in VA

This is a subject that seems to me to be a matter of personal preference. I put
non-glare glass on most pieces, partly because I have friends and family who
HAVE to touch what they see. If the pieces is going to someone who smokes, it
seems to me that using glass would protect the piece.
Old January 1st 04, 05:55 AM
Darla

wrote:

I'm almost done stitching a portrait (140x120x90 colors) and was curious
what the opinion was on putting it under glass? I remember reading somewhere
not to because it flattens out the stitches? The person receiving this has
smokers in the house and I would like to protect it from yellowing.

Give it a good washing before you take it to the framer. Press it
face down on a fluffy towel. I have my framer use conservation
(museum) glass. It's pricier, but worth it to me.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old January 1st 04, 08:24 AM
Yggdrasil

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 05:55:20 GMT, Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

LOL! No, they don't!! After living in India for 3 years I know that
the meat from sacred cows makes lousy hamburgers!

Katla

Old January 1st 04, 08:37 AM
Ellice

On 12/31/03 11:11 PM,"Yggdrasil" posted:

As the piece is going to a home where someone smokes, I'd say
definately use glass. Just make sure the framer uses spacers so that
the glass does not rest on the needlework. Spacers are also very
important if a piece with beads is being framed with a glass.

Adding in here - spacers, or a mat, should always be used with needlework.
Not just because the stitches can get smushed, but you can end up with
transference of dye from the thread to the glass. Same as with good
lithographs, watercolors, - the glass should be separated from the art so
the ink, paint doesn't transfer. If the piece is being matted, that's
enough space for most needlework, and the typical Mill Hill beads. The
framer should be able to judge.

Any needlework going to a house with smoking should always be framed under
glass. Even then, the piece should be opened and cleaned, the glass cleaned
after several years. The smoke will still seep in, even with a good dust
cover sealing the back.

Happy new year, happy stitchin'
ellice

Old January 1st 04, 01:11 PM
CASin43

I never use glass on my work. I use a professional framer who explained to me
that crossstitch is a textile and should be able to be touched . it can be
taken out of the frame, washed and reframed if it gets very dirty - that's if
it has been framed properly.
She says that putting glass on crossstitch is like leaving the plastic covers
on new furniture.
Canvas work is different as it cannot be washed and therefore glass should be
used.
Carol-Ann
10 miles NW of London England
Old January 1st 04, 03:00 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ellice wrote:
Any needlework going to a house with smoking should always be framed under
glass. Even then, the piece should be opened and cleaned, the glass cleaned
after several years. The smoke will still seep in, even with a good dust
cover sealing the back.

No it won't if it's well sealed on the back and properly framed. I got
a 25- to 30-year old framed crewel piece from my mother (father smoked
heavily) and just took it apart to reframe. Mother used masking tape to
"lace" the fabric to the thin cardboard and guess what? No damage there
to the linen. That's good news.

Not one bit of smoke on the glass inside.

Dianne

torch question Karen_AZ Beads 48 October 1st 04 07:59 AM
books on glassworking lathes Allan Adler Glass 19 May 29th 04 08:55 AM
AD: one- and two-day glass workshops - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Glass 0 February 26th 04 08:56 PM
HELP: mounting beveled glass in doors Tim Glass 5 December 29th 03 04:14 PM
FA:: on ebay The History of GLASS, Ends 10-Aug-03 20:42:30 BST The Camper Man Glass 0 August 10th 03 03:05 PM