ribbon choker

Old October 11th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
David Fields

Default ribbon choker

Ok, little background here. I am writing a book (paranormal romance w
vampires etc) where a character gives his Mistress a gift. A red ribbon
choker with a black heart bead. I want to make this for a promotional pic. I
make tons of necklaces and bracelets w beading wire etc but have never
worked with ribbon. I know they make the end crimps so that isn't an issue.
What about the bead? Should I enlage the hole and just pass the ribbon
through? I would like a bead about 1/2 - 3/4 " high. Do they make a piece
like the ribbon crimp end that would clamp down on the ribbon at the halfway
point? I thought I could take a flat silver bar, fold it over the ribbon
tightly and drill a small hole that I could then use a head pin to attach
the heart to this bar. I like the ribbons width consistent all the way
across the throat instead of threaded through the bead. I do NOT have the
bead yet.

--
David Fields
Photographer of the Unreal

Old October 14th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

How wide do you want the choker ribbon.
You can use a press stud to fasten the ribbon which would make a flatter
join.
If the bead hole goes top to bottom I would put a head pin through it.
Then I would attach my beading thread firmly through the choker ribbon
coming from the back. I would then put a few crystal beads, then the
heart bead then a few more crystals. Then I would sew the end firmly
after making sure where I wanted the heart to hang.

You could use the same technique if you can thread the bead sideways .

You could also use a hanger bead instead of putting the heart on
directly to the thread then fasten the heart on with a jump ring.

If you would like a diagram please email me and I will sketch it for
you.
My addy in my signature.
Shirley

In message , David Fields
writes

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old October 15th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera

In order to avoid "ribbon-top sag" (is there a technical term for that?
Anyone?) I would sew a jump ring securely onto the bottom edge of the
ribbon and hang the heart pendant from that, or if you get a heart with
a horizontal hole, skip the jump ring and sew the heart directly onto
the ribbon.

Now I feel like making black and red hearts, LOL!

http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.bridgetownglass.com
On eBay: http://www.snurl.com/1sfe