New to it all... (kinda sorta cross posted ;-)

Old September 28th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Michael LeBlanc

Default New to it all... (kinda sorta cross posted ;-)

Hey all...

I've just recently started to get interested in making glass beads for
my wife to make in some of her Native American handcrafts.. we've
picked up a few things here and there but are still a ways off from
actually starting.

Here not that long ago, we picked up some stuff for my wife's sudden
interest in silver smithing. One of these items was a Smith Little
Torch http://www.littletorch.com/
Just the basic box setup with the 7 tips. We asked the person we
bought it off of if it could be used for glass and she said that it
could not. Upon looking at the Smith website it references using it
for glass. I did some quick research on it and found a ton of people
saying you could not use it.. and then some that said they have been
using it for quite some time and it works great. From what I gathered
I would have to purchase a warming tip for it in order to get a larger
flame... but was wondering if anyone knew any more about using these
torches for glass beads and the like?

Thanks in advance.

- Michael

Old September 29th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
karin

Normally, a beadmaker uses a torch that is fixed to the table - you
will already have both hands full, with the mandrel in one hand, and
glass or tools in the other. So you can't hold onto a torch. There is
some 'off-mandrel' work that is frequently done with a torch like that,
although normally a larger one.

I think you would be disappointed if you tried to use this for
beadmaking. (I have one, it's great for silver, but I use a minor
burner for beads). It's going to make your life a whole lot more
difficult than it needs to be starting out - both because of the size
of the flame, and the issue of holding it steady. If you bought one
with a propane/oxy set up, then you will already have the tanks for the
lampworking torch, or you can go with a hot-head and use MAPP gas to
start out with.

Karin

Old October 2nd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera Stratton

Michael LeBlanc wrote:
[...]

A lot of people use these for welding together small glass components,
for paperweights, sculpture, or complex beads. However, using a Smith
Little Torch to make the base bead is impractical at best.
Old October 4th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

So Michael, What does your wife make. And who are her people, what do they
traditionally make?

My niece is Gwitch'in from Arctic village and does "card beading". And a
couple weeks ago I saw a gorgeous dress by two Anchorage women. The moose
hide had fireweed growing up from along the hem -- embroidered stems and
leaves with the flowers in naturally dyed tufted (little sheared mounds)
caribou fur. The embroidery was beaded, and then there were little beaded
flowers twinkling from behind.

Tina

ps.com...

Old October 4th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Michael LeBlanc

Everything we are finding is pointing to her being Shawnee.. we're
going to try and get a little more information by having the DNA tests
done (plan on getting it done for her birthday).

Here a few years back she started making handbags, medicine bags, and
the like. The items she created right off the bat were amazing... she
has since then tried her hand (and I feel suceeded) in carving her own
stone fetishes, traditional drums, chokers, etc. Like I think I
mentioned before, she is now interested in making her own jewely as
well.

Her website is long over due (very long) for an over haul, but we've
been so busy with adding to the family, moving, etc. that we have not
gotten back to it yet... anyhow.. it is
http://www.whitebearcreations.com

- Michael

Old October 11th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera

Holy crow, I didn't know you could get DNA testing done to prove
indianness! Technology..!

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com