Jacket quilting, help

Old June 2nd 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Jacket quilting, help

Have many of you made quilted jackets from cut up sweatshirts? I'm
taking a 2 day workshop next weekend and I'm trying to get inspired.
The woman who is teaching this class is extremely talented and very
artistic. I don't have quite the "eye" she has for creative piecing.
Her work tends to lean towards modern and Asian, neither of which is me.

If you've made these, did you use a very large piece of fabric and cover
the whole sweatshirt with it then trim out, or did you do assorted
patchwork, or did you flip and sew strips, etc?

We are supposed to bring a sweatshirt a size bigger because it'll shrink
after quilting and re-sewing. Is one size bigger enough? I'm thinking
it won't be.

I have a glorious batik material that is black with scattered light
purple/rose colored dragonflies, and a matching yard of the same
purple/rose with a black geometric print. I was thinking of the jacket
in the dragonflies with the geometric print for the binding and pocket,
but I'm not sure I want to use this for my first project, in case I ruin
this material or the jacket doesn't fit.

I've seen a few examples of these jackets on the net, but other than
this teacher, I don't know anyone who has made one. Any hints I should
know about? Do I need much quilting on this jacket if I make it from
one piece of material, would it look funny with just one piece of
material? Should I plan to skip this batik and just piece something
with other material? I have a couple completed lap quilt tops, maybe I
could use these?

As you can see, I really have no idea where to start. I'm not concerned
about the construction of the garment, I'm sure the teacher will help
with that, I'm just uninspired about the look I want. I'm not into
"grandma" types of patterns, nor ultra modern. I live in jeans and want
something that is conservative but interesting.

I could just bring all of my sock monkey material and go silly. I was
also thinking of just bringing a few kids sized sweatshirts and my large
selection of kid's prints and make presents for Christmas for the little
nieces. That way I won't ruin my good fabric until I get some
experience.

Help, I need inspiration!!!!!!!
..

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

Old June 2nd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Denise in NH" wrote in message

If you've made these, did you use a very large piece of fabric and cover
the whole sweatshirt with it then trim out, or did you do assorted
patchwork, or did you flip and sew strips, etc?

I've made two. In both cases, the lining was one large piece of fabric, and
there was no extra material on the front, only quilting directly on the
sweatshirt. They turned out cool, but I gave them away because I realized I
hate wearing jackets.

A google image search will get you lots of pictures for inspiration:
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...et&btnG=Search

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old June 2nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have made a good many Denise - just to my own made up conversion!
Most of these were presents, but there are a couple on my website:
www.quik.clara.co.uk.
These were made with two rectangular panels appliquéd onto the front of
the sweatshirt, after I had carefully cut it exactly in half. I also
use to put a simple block on the back - centre, top.
I always pieced the panels (measured the sweatshirt to get the size of
the panels.
Our sweatshirts are only sold in small, medium, large, extra large ...?
If I bought a woman's one, I would buy extra large (I would normally
wear a large); if I bought a man's one, I would buy large instead of
medium. Because I did very little quilting indeed, that always fitted
fine. However, it might make a difference if you are going to quilt it
a lot.
I did not take my sweatshirt to pieces! so the whole process was
simple. They look nice, though!
..
In message , Denise in NH
writes

.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 2nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Denise in NH wrote:
Have many of you made quilted jackets from cut up sweatshirts? I'm
taking a 2 day workshop next weekend and I'm trying to get inspired.
The woman who is teaching this class is extremely talented and very
artistic. I don't have quite the "eye" she has for creative piecing.
Her work tends to lean towards modern and Asian, neither of which is me.

If you've made these, did you use a very large piece of fabric and cover
the whole sweatshirt with it then trim out, or did you do assorted
patchwork, or did you flip and sew strips, etc?

I made one out of the block swap I did- Terbear's first block swap. I
had a few blocks more than covered the whole sweatshirt, so I folded a
few in half and used them as pockets for the inside. I cut the seams
open on the sweatshirt, laid it out flat, then laid the blocks on
internal. where I could, I seamed the blocks together. Where I had to, I
just zig-zagged the join direct onto the sweatshirt. Then I meander
quilted with a feather stitch all over the whole thing. Re-did the
seams, and bound with a different fabric I had enough of. My sweetie
calls it my coat of many colors, and I get a lot of compliments on it.

We are supposed to bring a sweatshirt a size bigger because it'll shrink
after quilting and re-sewing. Is one size bigger enough? I'm thinking
it won't be.

It was in my case. I used an extra-large v-neck sweatshirt.

I have a glorious batik material that is black with scattered light
purple/rose colored dragonflies, and a matching yard of the same
purple/rose with a black geometric print. I was thinking of the jacket
in the dragonflies with the geometric print for the binding and pocket,
but I'm not sure I want to use this for my first project, in case I ruin
this material or the jacket doesn't fit.

So plan on making more than one.

I've seen a few examples of these jackets on the net, but other than
this teacher, I don't know anyone who has made one. Any hints I should
know about? Do I need much quilting on this jacket if I make it from
one piece of material, would it look funny with just one piece of
material? Should I plan to skip this batik and just piece something
with other material? I have a couple completed lap quilt tops, maybe I
could use these?

I would avoid all one piece of fabric for a starter... but you can say
make a row of flying geese and use them as a stripe to offset the one
color, or a couple of scattered small blocks with the rest all one
fabric. The quilting will make whatever you do pop after it's washed.

I would not do a completed lap quilt- but I do recommend using any
orphan blocks you may have!

Consider cutting of the sleeves and just making a vest if you prefer them.

Consider making the black with scattered light (etc) dragonflies as the
background, and then try to make 6 to 12 inches of something to go on
the foreground, like cattails, shrubs, or a pier. Made with something
also kind of dark and complimentary, it's still going to look
conservative and yet one of a kind. Consider lining it completely with
the purple/rose, and that will help the conservative appearance.

Mine ain't conservative, but I'm not that way.

I could just bring all of my sock monkey material and go silly. I was
also thinking of just bringing a few kids sized sweatshirts and my large
selection of kid's prints and make presents for Christmas for the little
nieces. That way I won't ruin my good fabric until I get some
experience.

If you make a few to give away to learn the technique, you'll have the
pressure off and can just have fun with it. Why not?

-georg
Old June 2nd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
(Denise in NH) wrote:

Have many of you made quilted jackets from cut up sweatshirts? I'm
taking a 2 day workshop next weekend and I'm trying to get inspired.
The woman who is teaching this class is extremely talented and very
artistic. I don't have quite the "eye" she has for creative piecing.
Her work tends to lean towards modern and Asian, neither of which is me.

I've done two, Denise. Just in case you don't need to read further
because they're not what you're talking about, take a look he
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1/misc2.html#jackets. The first one
doesn't have much fabric on it at all, but the second one is completely
covered.

If you've made these, did you use a very large piece of fabric and cover
the whole sweatshirt with it then trim out, or did you do assorted
patchwork, or did you flip and sew strips, etc?

For the second one I did, I made blocks and then covered the
disassembled pieces of the sweatshirt, trimming off the blocks where
necessary. Each separate piece was quilted before reassembling the
jacket.

We are supposed to bring a sweatshirt a size bigger because it'll shrink
after quilting and re-sewing. Is one size bigger enough? I'm thinking
it won't be.

I would normally wear a medium sweatshirt, and I used a large for each
of mine; they were fine. However, a lot will depend on the quality of
the sweatshirt. I have a friend whose jacket is unwearable because it
was a cheapie and shrank to doll size. ;S

I have a glorious batik material that is black with scattered light
purple/rose colored dragonflies, and a matching yard of the same
purple/rose with a black geometric print. I was thinking of the jacket
in the dragonflies with the geometric print for the binding and pocket,
but I'm not sure I want to use this for my first project, in case I ruin
this material or the jacket doesn't fit.

Good point. I'd do a sample first, just to see what's what.

I've seen a few examples of these jackets on the net, but other than
this teacher, I don't know anyone who has made one. Any hints I should
know about? Do I need much quilting on this jacket if I make it from
one piece of material, would it look funny with just one piece of
material? Should I plan to skip this batik and just piece something
with other material? I have a couple completed lap quilt tops, maybe I
could use these?

I think one piece of fabric wouldn't look "funny" -- it would just be
different from a patchwork version. If you think you need to do
patchwork, can you get some coordinating fabrics to stretch things?

As you can see, I really have no idea where to start. I'm not concerned
about the construction of the garment, I'm sure the teacher will help
with that, I'm just uninspired about the look I want. I'm not into
"grandma" types of patterns, nor ultra modern. I live in jeans and want
something that is conservative but interesting.

Your fabric selection will determine whether it looks like something
your grandma would wear or not. G

I could just bring all of my sock monkey material and go silly. I was
also thinking of just bringing a few kids sized sweatshirts and my large
selection of kid's prints and make presents for Christmas for the little
nieces. That way I won't ruin my good fabric until I get some
experience.

And I think this is the best idea of all! Make the first one for your
biggest niece and see how much it shrinks. That way, it will still fit
one of the smaller ones, if it shrinks more than anticipated, and you'll
still have your "good" fabric for after you've experimented. And getting
Christmas gifts done early isn't bad, either!

Best of luck!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 2nd 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Denise, I made one of those and it was alot of fun. I bought a
Sweatshirt 1 size bigger and I normally wear. I used fabric left over from
a blue and yellow quilt I made. It was easy.

Linda in Tx

Old June 3rd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have made a couple of these, but I bought the biggest size
seaweatshirt I could find and made quite roomy jackets of
mine. If your class recommends one size bigger go with
that, but there are lots of variations on this theme.

I cut the side seams and arms seams open, remove all bands
and cover the piece with patchwork/quilting, then resew the
seams, adjust the finished length and bind the edges. For
this method, a few sizes bigger gives scope for changing
length, overall size etc., or even leaving it as a jumper
style instead of a jacket.

--
Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:
[...]
: .
:

Old June 3rd 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have a great pattern I saved for one, but it takes a sweatshirt with set
in sleeves and all the sweatshirts I can find have the dolman sleeve. Do you
have an online sorce?

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

Old June 3rd 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Several inexpensive ones on the hanes website. Not actual set in
sleeves, but a drop sleeve:
http://www.hanes.com/HanesCommerce/e...ext=sweatshirt

Old June 3rd 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oooh Georg, I would love to see it!!!!

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

"Georg" wrote in message
Denise in NH wrote:
[...]

Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence! Liz and Steve Ford Quilting 33 August 17th 03 04:51 AM
Quilting and what I've been up to this summer frood Quilting 3 August 15th 03 12:14 AM