Janome MC6500P

Old December 29th 04, 09:44 AM
Leigh Harris

Default Janome MC6500P

Okay, this may be just a pipe dream, but I'm thinking that I might like to
get one of these machines. Does anyone have one? If so, is it as good as it
sounds? Is it worth the money? It's on special at the moment for AU$1650,
but that's still a lot of money to spend without a bit of research. I love
the Janome machine I've had for years, so it's not about Janome in general,
but this machine in particluar. All comments appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

Old December 29th 04, 10:19 AM
Patti

Hullo Leigh
I have one, and I absolutely love it.
I bought a much cheaper one recently, to have as a backup, and I laughed
when I had a go on this one, as It was like going from a Ferrari to a
Go-cart!! The 6500 sews beautifully. The speed control and needle
movement are so useful for me - I didn't realise how much I would use
them. Some of the gadgets (like the thread cutter) I don't use, but
other owners love it. The walking foot is quiet! and I found
free-motion (which I am not good at) much easier, insofar as I can find
a rhythm between myself and the machine - by finding just the right
speed to set the 'engine' at. The computerisation is extremely user
friendly; and any hiccups I had were very easily solved by a phone call
to my supplier. The extra size under the arm (the harp) is wonderful to
have. I haven't used it to its full potential yet, but this is the
reason I bought it. Even for my small quilts, I enjoy being about to
whirl them around underneath. I also adapted to the knee lift in a very
short time (I've never had one before and thought I would find it
awkward).
If these are on offer, do just have a look at the paintwork, for any
sign of blistering. There was an issue about the paintwork for one
batch of these machines, shortly after they were distributed. Mine is
fine. There is a Yahoo group for the 6500, where you can find out all
sorts of useful information day to day, or you can check the archives.
I would never like to recommend any machine unreservedly, because they
must all be tested by the future operator; but I believe you would have
to go a long way to beat this. I was reluctant to change from Husqvarna
(my previous two machines), but they didn't have any sign of making one
with a larger harp, so I did. I have not regretted it at all.
..
In article , Leigh
Harris writes
Okay, this may be just a pipe dream, but I'm thinking that I might like to
get one of these machines. Does anyone have one? If so, is it as good as it
sounds? Is it worth the money? It's on special at the moment for AU$1650,
but that's still a lot of money to spend without a bit of research. I love
the Janome machine I've had for years, so it's not about Janome in general,
but this machine in particluar. All comments appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 29th 04, 01:10 PM
I.E.Z.

"Leigh Harris" wrote in message
Okay, this may be just a pipe dream, but I'm thinking that I might like to
get one of these machines. Does anyone have one? If so, is it as good as

it
sounds? Is it worth the money? It's on special at the moment for AU$1650,
but that's still a lot of money to spend without a bit of research. I love
the Janome machine I've had for years, so it's not about Janome in

general,
but this machine in particluar. All comments appreciated.

Had one over a year. Absolutely the best for machine quilting. Good
walking foot. Good for free motion. I have done a queen-size quilt
recently and the extra space under the arm makes a tremendous difference.
The thread cutter is a fantastic feature. It makes it so much faster to
free motion an area, then move quickly to another one, without having to
reach underneath to snip the bobbin thread. I love the knee lift, also have
one on my older Bernina. Lots of other bells and whistles to play with
too, if you're interested. Makes great buttonholes.

Iris

Old December 29th 04, 02:46 PM
WhansaMi

Okay, this may be just a pipe dream, but I'm thinking that I might like to
get one of these machines. Does anyone have one? If so, is it as good as it
sounds? Is it worth the money? It's on special at the moment for AU$1650,
but that's still a lot of money to spend without a bit of research. I love
the Janome machine I've had for years, so it's not about Janome in general,
but this machine in particluar. All comments appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia
www.leighharris.info
(Real email is bearleigh at bigpond dot com)

I have a 6500, and it is a very nice machine. I'm still learning all the
things I can do with it, but I LOVE the automatic tied off/cutter, the large
variety of stitches, and the roominess under the arm.

I have a small Bernina, and I have to admit that I like the sound of that one
better, but, that is a small thing.

Sheila
Old December 29th 04, 06:12 PM
..Mickie Swall..

Since you are already a Janome fan, you would probably love the MC6500
too. I have had mine since August, it is wonderful for machine quiting. The
built-in thread-cutter on it is a little clumsier, slower and a lot noiser than the
cutters on the three straight stitchers (Brother, Juki, BabyLock), but it cuts
satisfactorily for me, and starts the next bit of stitching withough hassle.

You also might want to consider Elna's contribution to the new large-harp trend:
http://www.elnausa.com/products/sewing/qdpro/ It looks like it was made from
the same mold as Janome's though the screen and buttons have been relocated
to a more (to me) logical place.

The Janome works for me, though I still want to see what Husquvarna Viking's
competition will be (I hear rumors there is a long-armer in the works in Sweden)
I'm still a Viking girl at heart g

Mickie

Old December 29th 04, 07:05 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I'm still a Viking girl at heart g

Mickie

As I've always suspected. G
http://www.dennyweb.com/viking_kittens.htm

Ragmop/Sandy--handquilter

Old December 31st 04, 02:26 AM
DrQuilter

where did you get that???? )
sofi loved it...

Ellison wrote:

As I've always suspected. G
http://www.dennyweb.com/viking_kittens.htm

Ragmop/Sandy--handquilter

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old December 31st 04, 08:12 AM
Leigh Harris

Thanks everyone for your input. Well, I took the plunge! It's on layby as of
an hour or so ago. Thanks for the warning about the damaged ones, Patti, but
this was just part of the annual Janome sale they have here. It was reduced
from AU$2299 to $1649, and that included the extension table. I've kept my
other Janome because it's still a wonderful little machine. Aslo, the 6500
doesn't have a free arm and, as I still do some dressmaking and teddy
making, I really do appreciate a free arm.

So, in a couple of months or so, I'm sure I'll be raving about my new toy.
Thanks again to all who answered. Happy new year to all!

Old December 31st 04, 12:36 PM
georg

DrQuilter wrote:

where did you get that???? )
sofi loved it...

That artist has a *bunch* of them. http://www.rathergood.com/

Be warned that several are not suitable for children.

-georg
Old December 31st 04, 07:15 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
google
Lots more crazies he
http://www.rathergood.com/
(not all suitable for younger ears, I reckon g)

Sandy--quilting the border on the client's quilt,
ready to go back to my soft flannel holiday quilt quilting

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
where did you get that???? )
sofi loved it...