Japanese Hand Embroidery

Old July 2nd 04, 06:03 PM
Maureen Miller

Default Japanese Hand Embroidery

Please excuse me if this is a repeat post but a recent virus (now
deleted) wiped out everything so if my message was indeed posted, I did
not see the reply.

I want to learn Japanese Hand Embroidery. There is no teacher locally,
nor classes at local institutes. But there are MANY books out there on
the subject. Could someone please recommend a good book to learn
Japanese Embroidery from which preferably teaches from beginner to
advanced techniques? Thanks much!

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old July 2nd 04, 08:01 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I hope John O'Leary sees this. If not, I'll send him some email. He's
currently studying Japanese Embroidery in Australia. It is a *very*
exacting technique in which you master certain phases over time.

I am not self-disciplined enough to do it, but it's something I've
always wanted to persue.

If you go to the Japanes Embroidery Center's site:
http://www.japaneseembroidery.com and in particular this link to their
"books"
http://www.jecstore.bigstep.com/cate...l?UCIDs=632246

You might find something helpful!

Dianne

Old July 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
Maureen Miller

Thank you. Going via the book route is iffy for me because I can well
imagine just how exacting it would be! That's why I thought someone
might know the best book for learning. But I will try the sites you
suggest and maybe they can point me to the best place.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old July 3rd 04, 06:40 AM
Maureen Miller

Hahaha. An axe murderer? When would I have time with all this stash on
my "To Do" list?! Aside from that, I'm morbidly terrified to fly so
unless you're close, like...Bellingham, in Washington State, then I'll
have to pass on your very generous offer, but I thank you very much all
the same. My karate teacher goes to Japan regularly and last time he
brought me a gift of a bill fold and change purse. It is brilliant
orange....silk?....embroidered in red and gold thread. It's so
beautiful! He knows I love my needlework and he told me he stays with a
family when visiting Japan where the 97 year old grandmother hand
embroiders kimonos. She has 5 daughters, but none of them are
interested in learning traditional Japanese hand embroidery from her
which is a real shame because it is becoming a dying art over there.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

From: Maureen Miller

...... Could someone please recommend a good book to learn
Japanese Embroidery from which preferably teaches from beginner to
advanced techniques? .......

You won't find a *good* book that will teach beginner to advanced
techniques! A series of books, yes -- but not just one book :-)! As Dianne
mentioned, your best bet is the Japanese Embroidery Center which is right in my
back yard -- sort of. It is about 25 miles from where I live and my needlework
group took a tour last autumn. OH what a wonderful experience! You have
absolutely no idea what is involved in learning Japanese Embroidery!!!!! It is
a true labour of love and I just wish I could afford to take some of the
classes.
Anyway, the center produces some of the best literature on Japanese hand
embroidery that you can get outside of Japan. If you can ever manage to take a
series of classes from them, DO SO at all costs! I would even be happy to
offer a room in my home for the week you would be here -- assuming you bathe
with a fair amount of regularity and aren't an ax murderer or something equally
horrid :-)! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old July 3rd 04, 07:22 AM
Linda D.

Hi Maureen,

Have you contacted any of the needlearts guilds in Vancouver?
There used to be a wonderful guild, I think it was called the North
Shore Needlearts Guild. I attended one of their members shows many
years ago and they had some extremely talented needleworkers. I bet
at least one of their members does Japanese embroidery and could point
you in the right direction for information.

There is a group of ladies here in Nanaimo who have pursued
Japanese embroidery through the Japanese Embroidery Center. Their
work is outstanding, but it is a big investment both in threads and
other supplies.

take care, Linda

Old July 3rd 04, 07:23 AM
John

Hi Maureen (and hi to Dianne too!)

Yes, best thing for you to do is contact the Japanese Embroidery
Center www.japaneseembroidery.com . They've got all the introductory
information you'll need.

As Dianne says, this form of embroidery is very exacting, but you'll
also probably find it to be hugely satisfying to do (well, satisfying
and bloody frustrating, but that's the fun of it).

I've recently finsihed my Phase 7 piece (Camellias) and loved every
stitch of it. One of these years I'll hopefully get to the Center for
Phase 10. These days I travel to Adelaide to study with Heather
Sterling, a lovely lady who's also a very good teacher.

As well as your contacting the Center, I'm happy to answer any other
questions you might have.

John
Old July 3rd 04, 01:19 PM
MaryR

The Center also trains and certifies its students as
teachers. If you contact them they can let you know if
there is a certified teacher somewhere closer to you.

MaryR

Old July 12th 04, 05:18 PM
Marjorie Holme

Hi, Maureen: I can learn most anything from books but this technique
stymied me. I went to the Japanese embroidery center near Atlanta a
couple of years ago for a beginner course and it made a world of
difference. "The Techniques of Japanese Embroidery" by Shuji Tamura is
the best technique book. "The Art of Oriental Embroidery" by Young Y.
Chung is another good one. The Japanese Embroidery Series books on sale
at the Center are all pictures with little or no technique information.
They do help train your eye to really see the embroidery.

The key that I learned in class, and did not get from the books, is that
the threads are under tension at ALL times. This is what I'm still
working on.

You can order beginning designs, materials, etc. from the Center. If you
join you'll receive a lovely little periodical discussing embroidery and
the philosophy--it includes new and practice designs you can order. I've
been a member, off and on, for years.

Good luck. Marjorie

Old July 12th 04, 05:55 PM
Maureen Miller

Hi Marjorie,

It looks like books will be the way I have to go for now because I can't
afford the classes. I contacted the Japanese Embroidery Center and they
put my in touch with a woman who teaches this art from about 40 miles
away. Here was her response to me.

The classes begin with two days, not possible to get started with less time.

Then, one may continue with a one-day class at one month intervals.
Students would pay
my transportation costs (ferry and car) and there would be no fee for
teaching. That is
right, I will not be charging for teaching a group. Individuals
teaching is $50 per day
plus the aforementioned expenses. All materials are ordered through me.
Basic supplies
include frame, Tekobari (Japanese laying tool), needle set, awl,
finishing materials,
textbook. The basics cost approx. $200 and are used over and over again.
Depending on
the Phase 1 piece, and I prefer you to choose Bouquet from Japan,
although I am willing
to discuss the choices. Do you have a catalogue? I can print and send
you one ($10),
or you can order your own from the Center. The first Phase with all
silks, metallic
threads, and the project transferred onto Kimono fabric will cost
approx. $180. These
costs are in Canadian dollars. So, you can see that this is not an
inexpensive hobby
to venture into. As you progress through the Phases, the costs for
designs transferred
onto silk increase as well. My students who are embarking on Phase X in
September have
paid $240US for their design on heavy silk.

As you can see, this lady is being very accomodating, but I just can't
afford to take this class right now.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.