Needlepoint tips needed

Old December 8th 03, 06:33 PM
Laury Walkey

Default Needlepoint tips needed

I'm considering trying my first needlepoint project so I am looking for
some hints or tips from more experienced needlepointers. The small kit
I wish to do is Leopard's Gaze
http://store4.yimg.com/I/count_1753_559507320 .

I've done a little reading on needlepoint techniques and am feeling a
little confused.

One book suggests that stitching goes from right to left in a
continental stitch and when you reach the end of the row you turn the
canvas upside down and stitch again from right to left, continuing the
process until the area is filled in.

Another needlepoint source suggests you stitch from right to left in the
continental stitch and when you reach the end of the row, the next row
starts underneath the completed row, but instead of going from bottom to
top with the stitch motion, you go from top to bottom across the row,
left to right.

Does it really matter which technique I use or should I just go with
whichever works best for me?

Another question I have is about working the areas with color changes.
My needleworking experience lies in counted cross stitching where I like
to work my designs by starting in the middle and going where the design
and/or the colors I'm working take me until the design is finished.
With needlepoint, do I have to work everything in rows with lots of
swapping of colors or can I go where the colors take me?

Any tips or hints are very much appreciated.

Thanks kindly.

Cheers,

--

Laury
BC, Canada

Old December 8th 03, 07:22 PM
Ellice

On 12/8/03 1:33 PM,"Laury Walkey" posted:

I'm considering trying my first needlepoint project so I am looking for
some hints or tips from more experienced needlepointers. The small kit
I wish to do is Leopard's Gaze
http://store4.yimg.com/I/count_1753_559507320 .

Hi, and welcome to trying something different. That's a nice kit.

I've done a little reading on needlepoint techniques and am feeling a
little confused.

There is a lot of reference information on the ANG website. It's pretty
consistent, and there are links to stitch techniques, all kinds of NP info.
The main page is
http://www.needlepoint.org/

The section with stitches of the month is full of diagrams, and includes
links to examples.

One book suggests that stitching goes from right to left in a
continental stitch and when you reach the end of the row you turn the
canvas upside down and stitch again from right to left, continuing the
process until the area is filled in.

Many people turn the canvas if stitching in rows - that way you're working
in the same direction. If you can get your hands on a copy of:
Needlepoint Book: A Complete Update of the Classic Guide
By Jo Ippolito Christensen

This is a great book, and if you're only getting one, it's a good one.
Library might have it.
Also, for a less investment, TNNA - The National Needlework Asso. Puts out
some basic guide books - they're very inexpensive, and many LNS will have
them. It's a big workbook sized thing "How To Needlepoint" (they also have
crochet, knit instruction books) with excellent diagrams. Will answer all
your basic questions. You can see some info at the TNNA site,
http://www.tnna.org/

Another needlepoint source suggests you stitch from right to left in the
continental stitch and when you reach the end of the row, the next row
starts underneath the completed row, but instead of going from bottom to
top with the stitch motion, you go from top to bottom across the row,
left to right.

Absolutely correct. It works out to be the same thing.

Does it really matter which technique I use or should I just go with
whichever works best for me?

Yes - what works for you. For a decorative piece like this one, working in
rows is fine. Here are some links to diagrams of tent stitch and basketweave
- the first 2 are by Beth Robertson (one of the authors of the Stitches for
Effect series). Definitely go look at these.

http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfTheMonth/98-02.htm
http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfTheMonth/98-03.htm

http://webstitch.designwest.com/stitch06.html#tent1
Is another site with very nice stitch diagrams.

However, doing a basketweave form of continental stitch is generally
preferred for a couple of reasons. Basketweave is a stronger stitch, so if
it's a piece that will get handled - like a pillow, or a footstool, it will
hold up better. The other reason, is that basketweaving tends to keep the
shape better, less distortion, easier to block. There is an info piece - I
think by David McCaskill, on the ANG site about stitching in curved areas -
that's a good thing to read. Here's a link to a bunch of stitching FAQs:
http://www.needlepoint.org/FAQ/stitching.htm

Another question I have is about working the areas with color changes.
My needleworking experience lies in counted cross stitching where I like
to work my designs by starting in the middle and going where the design
and/or the colors I'm working take me until the design is finished.
With needlepoint, do I have to work everything in rows with lots of
swapping of colors or can I go where the colors take me?

You can go where the colors take you. However, you don't really want to
carry thread much in NP. And if you're starting with waste or away knots -
be sure that they are located so the tail is directly vertically or
horizontally in line with the beginning stitch. If it's on a diagonal, the
front of the piece will often show a zipper type affect. Also, it's a good
practice to end/start new thread in the middle of a row, not at the leading
edge.

Any tips or hints are very much appreciated.

Seriously, check out the ANG site, and the stitch links. I think they will
really help. If you're into NP, even just learning - ANG has a needlepoint
discussion list. It's very helpful, and reasonably active without being
overwhelming - probably between 6 and 20 messages a day. The list is
moderated, there is a FAQ on the website. Over 1300 subscribers - so they
try to keep people on topic. But, you don't have to be an ANG member to
join, and there's a lot of stitching information, design references, etc.
There are many well known teachers on that list, as well as designers. You
might want to subscribe, and just check it out. People are very welcoming to
new folks, and beginners.

Enjoy,
ellice

Old December 8th 03, 08:39 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Welcome to RCTN. Ellice answered your question. I'll add: Yes,
joining forums is great. But don't stop posting here. We all learn
from the questions and answers of others. :-)
Dianne

Old December 9th 03, 06:01 PM
Laury Walkey

Ellice,

Thanks so much for your great advice. Those links were very helpful. It's
going to be a little while before I have the time to start the project, so in
the meantime I will continue to read up on the subject.

Thanks again so very much!

Cheers,
--

Laury

Old December 9th 03, 06:05 PM
Laury Walkey

animaux wrote:

Continental stitch is done this way so that the back of your stitches will give the best
possible coverage to the canvas. The stitches are long on the back side, and look like a
plain tent stitch on the front.

Now I understand. I was looking at the diagrams in the two sources I had consulted and
wondered what the difference between the continental stitch and a half cross stitch would be.

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
--

Laury

Old December 11th 03, 01:05 AM
FKBABB

I was looking at the diagrams in the two sources I had consulted and
wondered what the difference between the continental stitch and a half cross
stitch would be. BRBR

Both look pretty much the same on top. The crucial difference is that
continental takes nearly twice as much thread to execute as half-cross stitch.
Many needlepoint kits include only enough thread/yarn/floss to work the design
in half-cross -- a lousy, penny-wise and pound-foolish stitch, IMHO, as it
doesn't wear well and distorts the canvas hugely if worked in-hand, leading to
bills for professional blocking greater than that for buying enough materials
to work the piece decently in the first place.

So, read the directions on your kit. And, make a decision based on the purpose
of the the finished product -- are you going to use it as a picture or as a
pillow, something subject to wear? You can overcome some of the problems of
stitching in half-cross by doing the piece on stretcher bars. Glad to explain
further if anything of the foregoing makes any sense.

Best, Annie

Old December 13th 03, 07:09 PM
Laury Walkey

FKBABB wrote:

[...]

Annie,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The other day I saw an example at my local
thrift store of needlepoint done with parts in half cross stitch and parts in
continental in black yarn on white canvas and it really showed the difference. I
understand the reasoning behind it now. Fortunately the kit I have is done in
floss and not yarn, so if I run short, I should be able to add to the kit if
necessary.

I think one of the things that has kept me from trying needlepoint before was that
it seems an awfully expensive project compared to cross stitching or embroidery.

As for finishing the piece, I have no idea what to do with it. I'm one of those
people who enjoy the creating but not the finishing. I keep hoping the Finishing
Fairy will come one night to turn all my completed stitching into something
wonderful! :-)

Cheers,

--

Laury