Typical beginner question

Old September 1st 03, 09:38 PM
Cheryl

Default Typical beginner question

1. Is this gas available in anything larger? The local
welding suppliers say no but I can't imagine why not. One guy filled a
large propane tank with MAPP but without knowing the vapor pressures of
each, that's amazingly dangerous.

yes it is!!! Don't DO THAT!

I have a MAPP tank -no longer used (but cannot ship it because it still has gas
in it - or I'd offer it up).
I believe it is 20 or 22 lb size - I got it at my welding supply. They look
about like the old aluminum C02 tanks...

If your welding supply company is brainless - I suggest you try a different
source... Also call some local plumbing shops - since they often use it, and
may know of a dependable source.
Or try buying and empty over the internet....
there is also a 70 lb tank size - but it's pretty big.

your second question leads to the obvious - if you have "outgrown" the
hothead...and have discovered it's limitations....

point between the dots" must have something else in mind. What's the next
step up from a simple MAPP cylinder with Hot Head?

A minor burner - oxygen and propane is your next step - forget the bigger mapp
tank, by a minor, and go on to the next step... a real bead torch.

"intense
black" rod but my local retailer hasn't heard of it. Is it true black and

yes - it is "blacker" than the regular black (which is really intensely deep
purple - as you have probably discovered.
Frantz and Arrow springs both carry this stringer. Quit buying locally - and
start buying from the larger suppliers --
both are online -
and all the information you could need is available from the books - or if you
check the information on the web....
start with my webpage
http://www.dragonbeads.com/glassfaq.html

and you will get a lot of information that will be helpful in the longrun, and
save yourself some time and effort!
Many OTHER BEADMAKERS also have similar pages on their websites - for
beginners... so you might scope out other beadmaker webpages to see what you
can learn from them.
No sense in re-inventing the wheel over stuff that's already been experienced
by others-
also
wet canvas
ISGB
and other beadmaker forums.... will provide a lot of your answers by reading
the older archive material....
have fun.....
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old September 1st 03, 10:51 PM
Kandice Seeber

Welcome Steve!!

I don't know anything about MAPP because I have never used a Hothead, but I
do know that the next step up is likely a Minor Burner and an oxygen tank
(with propane as well). You can get a lot more heat with it, and also a
nice pointy flame for detailed work if you like. This set-up is
significantly more expensive, but if you're serious about lampworking and
want to move up, it's the way to go. And you can use the Minor for as long
as you wish, until you want to move up to something really hot. Also,
if you haven't already, think about investing in a kiln to anneal your
beads.

Here are some links to help you along the way:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/foru... 8&forumid=89
WetCanvas Glass Art Forum - look at the technical section - there is a TON
of info there on everything about working glass.

http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist4.html
Halfway down there is a section on tutorials, and some of them are lampwork
related.

http://www.frantzartglass.com
A good supplier for torches, kilns and glass, as well as tools. There are
other suppliers, but this is the one I use and know the most about.

http://www.isgb.org/forum/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
International Society of Glass Beadmakers Forum - tons and tons of info.

Good luck and have fun!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I've made a jar full of beads now, to get the feel of working with the

glass
mainly, not worrying too much about anything fancy. I've worked with frit
(with nice results) and stringer (very inconsistently), and taken some
classes along the way. I use a simple MAPP gas 1-pound cylinder now,
leading to question 1. Is this gas available in anything larger? The

local
welding suppliers say no but I can't imagine why not. One guy filled a
large propane tank with MAPP but without knowing the vapor pressures of
each, that's amazingly dangerous.

Question 2 is also pretty fundamental. When I try to do more detailed

work,
I can't do any kind of point heating with my current setup, the whole bead
ends up being heated (at least on one side). So books saying "heat the
point between the dots" must have something else in mind. What's the next
step up from a simple MAPP cylinder with Hot Head?

Last question: I've run across references to something called "intense
black" rod but my local retailer hasn't heard of it. Is it true black and
where can it be bought?

Sorry for the beginner's stuff but I don't know many other beadworkers
locally so I thought I'd widen the net a little.

- Steve R in St Louis

Old September 1st 03, 10:53 PM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, I forgot to add - Frantz has Intense Black stringer - and I have some as
well. It's terrific because it doesn't go purply on you when using it as
decoration.

Old September 4th 03, 05:46 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
"Steve Richardson" wrote:

[...]

You can get MAPP and Propylene in bulk, try Airgas (I think they're
nationwide).

Heating a specific area with a Hot Head is doable, though difficult; try
holding the spot you want heated to just one side of the flame.

The next step up is a Minor or Bobcat oxy/propane torch.

Check out http://www.frantzartglass.com and http://www.waleapparatus.com

Also http://www.wetcanvas.com

Have fun!

--
-Kalera

---------

see my auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe
Old September 5th 03, 03:03 PM
Louis Cage

Realistically, you never will do detailed work with a hot head. And the
savings on gas will pay for a minor burner (oxygen/propane torch) setup
within a year.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

. ..

Old September 6th 03, 02:25 AM
Steve Richardson

To all who responded to my "beginner" questions - thanks! This seems to be
a very helpful, positive group, unlike a few others I've had experience
with. Now I need to work on my techniques, upgrade equipment, add some
stock...
- Steve R
St Louis

[...]

de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Monsterslayer / Beadalon question mªdcªt Beads 6 July 28th 03 09:10 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM