Thinking about backings and variegated thread

Old January 14th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Thinking about backings and variegated thread

I'm doing the mindless task of adding logs to log cabin blocks. They are
all cut to size, so no thinking required. This is a bed sized quilt
designed to practice the feather quilting method in the book "Hooked on
Feathers". Then it will reside on my bed.

I was pondering the thread to quilt this one. I love variegated thread for
the quilting, but I have reached a conclusion that I love some color
combinations but don't like the light/dark factor. If I am quilting on a
darker fabric the lighter areas show up and the darker areas disappear. The
opposite happens on lighter fabrics. I have decided I like threads that are
all about the same- all darker colors or all lighter colors- within the
color changes.

Then I started thinking what I'd use for the backing. I have always used a
fabric that I used in the blocks or the border- a pretty backing that
matches the front of the quilt. But why should I spend the money for LQS
quality fabric for the backing? Nobody but me sees the backing- and very
few will see the front, either! LOL My bed quilts are washed to death in
a year or two courtesy of The HairyButt Gang and them sleeping on my bed.

I am just about decided to purchase the cheapest muslin I can find for the
backing. Maybe even a poly/cotton blend! The reason is cheap 100% cotton
muslin sometimes looks just awful after it's laundered and a poly cotton has
some permanent press and generally is less wrinkled after washing. The
cheap stuff will surely last as long as the front will last before it's worn
out from being washed.

I'm feeling like a rebel! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in 'finally thawing out' MO.

Old January 14th 10, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Nobody but me sees the backing- and very
few will see the front, either! LOL

Your mama would probably appreciate that comment.
I think I would go for a sheet because at least it is all
one piece. Target has some nice basic ones that you
can buy in separates in a good variety of colors and
price is good.
Taria

Old January 14th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_3_]

If you want to simplify your life a hair, plain muslin comes in 90" and 120"
widths as well as the narrower......and can be bought places like Joanns and
Hobby Lobby, doesn't need to be LQS muslin.

I'm a firm believer in it. It's classic, timeless....and while I have--and
have made--quilts with other fabrics on the back, I pretty much restrict
that nowadays to quilts that just demand it---or baby quilts, which *do* get
both sides seen and used on a regular basis.

--pig

Old January 14th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

My mama is finally realizing that at age 59 I am old enough to make my own
decisions without a need (or want) for her approval or comments. ;-)

But then again- I generally post pics of finished quilts, so who knows how
many thousands of folks may see my quilt laid out on my bed? VBEG I don't
have enough room any where else in my house to take the pic!

Cheap muslin comes as wide as 120 in., so that may be cheaper than a sheet,
but I will compare prices on both- thanks.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 14th 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Thinking about log feathers

I have a log cabin Christmas tree skirt ready to be quilted and was thinking
of doing 'hooked' feathers too. STID on those logs may be more appropriate
but I figure would bore me to death before the first block was stitched.
Are you sure the Quilt Police won't come after the both of us? Polly

Old January 14th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Use the variegated thread in the bobbin and you'll have a whole cloth of
feathers.
Gen

Old January 14th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Beware very cheap sheets from very cheap shops! - I used one and it had
faded in patches before the quilt was finished. Perhaps I can call it
'hand-dyed' and everyone will think how clever I am. Now when I use a
sheet it comes from the store I usually buy bed linen from. A good plain
sheet comes in lots of lovely colours and is surprisingly cheap and
often in the Sales. I made a lovely bright red Christmas tablecloth from
one. When I am sick of it it will become a backing.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallyattheseaside/

Old January 14th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Yeah, well my mama is almost 10 years outta this life and I still
laugh and think of things she would or wouldn't say. That doesn't
mean anyone paid much heed but still I would have her in my
thoughts if I had an unlimited amount of folks wandering through
my bedroom. She and her sister would probably have some sick
interest in looking down though. They were really wacky. lol I miss
them both a lot. I think virtual doesn't count though so your pics are
good.
The roc-lon muslin that Joann's sells is good stuff. I don't think
I would go for the really cheapo gauzy stuff though. Looking forward
to seeing it whatever back it gets.

I think I hear the quilt police siren headed Polly's way.
Taria

Old January 14th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_3_]

Has anyone ever considered quilting a pattern of various types of drums on a
log cabin quilt?

Then when someone asks you what that's supposed to be, you can tell them
it's a log o' rhythm.

--pig, ducking

Old January 14th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Oh man, Megan/Piggy! I can absolutely see Polly doing your log o' rhythm!

I won't. Actually I just got bored with the pretty pastels in my mint green
and lavender-y purple log cabin blocks and switched to a very unique
modified Rail Fence quilt I designed for my Laurel Burch's Song of The Sea
(?) line of fabrics. Wild bright colors to cheer me up on a dismal winter
day. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.- getting ready to start stitching 47 sets of
six 1.5 in. strips.... b-o-r-i-n-g! LOL

Esther" wrote:

I have a log cabin Christmas tree skirt ready to be quilted and was
thinking
of doing 'hooked' feathers too. STID on those logs may be more
appropriate
but I figure would bore me to death before the first block was stitched.
Are you sure the Quilt Police won't come after the both of us? Polly

Wide Backings -- Where? Sherry Quilting 15 November 30th 09 02:44 PM
The thread on insuring a quilt got me to thinking. Phyllis Nilsson Quilting 3 January 28th 06 04:53 AM
backings Diana Curtis Quilting 35 September 9th 04 04:34 PM
variegated thread on a cone? Kristen L. Renneker Quilting 52 July 3rd 04 07:16 PM
Variegated Rayon thread?? Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 2 December 3rd 03 02:38 PM