Thinking about backings and variegated thread

Old January 15th 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Thinking about log feathers

On Jan 14, 5:57*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
Oh man, Megan/Piggy! *I can absolutely see Polly doing your log o' rhythm!

I won't. *Actually I just got bored with the pretty pastels in my mint green
and lavender-y purple log cabin blocks and switched to a very unique
modified Rail Fence quilt I designed for my Laurel Burch's Song of The Sea
(?) line of fabrics. *Wild bright colors to cheer me up on a dismal winter
day. *;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.- getting ready to start stitching 47 sets of
six 1.5 in. strips.... b-o-r-i-n-g! * LOL

Leslie, I am on my sixth block of a log cabin quilt and am also using
Laurel
Burch fabric! What a coinky-dink. Except mine is fantastic feline.
Thought I would pass on a disaster scenario at my LQS last week when I
was there, since we're talking about backings. Some woman had done
an absolutely stunning pieced top and took it in for machine quilting.
Only
she brought the really thin muslin for backing. The backing split when
they
were about 1/2 way done quilting it. Horrors.
I've used sheets too before, on quilts that were for myself. QI hair
all over
the place here, too; they get washed a lot.
Love to see a pic of your pretty Burch colors when you're done.
Sherry
Old January 15th 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Love it!
(but then I would wouldn't I? g)
..
In message , Megan Zurawicz
writes
Has anyone ever considered quilting a pattern of various types of drums on a
log cabin quilt?

Then when someone asks you what that's supposed to be, you can tell them
it's a log o' rhythm.

--pig, ducking

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 15th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

IMO feathers could look gorgeous on a LC. You could do long garlands,
say on the light side, and alternate with geometrical SITD on the dark
side, if that makes sense.
I once did a straight furrow set something like that, with a sort of
fan-shape into the dark half of each block, radiating from the center
square -the "fans" thus alternated along the "furrow". The light
"furrows" had a garland of hearts.
Roberta in D

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:28:39 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I have a log cabin Christmas tree skirt ready to be quilted and was thinking
of doing 'hooked' feathers too. STID on those logs may be more appropriate
but I figure would bore me to death before the first block was stitched.
Are you sure the Quilt Police won't come after the both of us? Polly

Old January 15th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Aargh! But clever.
Roberta in D

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:32:20 -0500, Megan Zurawicz
wrote:

Has anyone ever considered quilting a pattern of various types of drums on a
log cabin quilt?

Then when someone asks you what that's supposed to be, you can tell them
it's a log o' rhythm.

--pig, ducking

Old January 15th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

Default Thinking about backings and variegated thread

I usually use the RocLon muslin for backings (from Joann's), but this
year I have found that the quality has gone down hill! I found some
Kona muslin and was able to buy some with a coupon, so now I am totally
spoiled!

Susan
quilting as usual

wrote in message
Nobody but me sees the backing- and very
few will see the front, either! LOL

Your mama would probably appreciate that comment.
I think I would go for a sheet because at least it is all
one piece. Target has some nice basic ones that you
can buy in separates in a good variety of colors and
price is good.
Taria

Old January 15th 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

My 2-cents' worth about backing fabric is that I NEVER use the cheap
stuff! I want the backing to be equal in quality and durability as
the front of any quilt. My thinking is that I put a lot of time and
effort into a quilt, and I don't want to need to put a new backing on
down the road. Cheap muslin is great for Halloween costumes, and that
is about it.
Old January 15th 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

But the reasoning is that my bed quilts just don't last very long with the
dogs on them. The back of the quilt gets no wear and the quilt top will
only last a year or two.... and I make simple quilts for my bed- no sense
making a masterpiece when I know it's doomed to a short life....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 15th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

On Jan 15, 9:45*am, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
But the reasoning is that my bed quilts just don't last very long with the
dogs on them. *

When it's time for bed, turn the quilts over so the pups dont ruin the
"pretty" side.
did that for a long time. works pretty well.

amy in CNY (who has used both cheap and better muslin for backing and
likes LQS fabric the best)
Old January 15th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Amy, the dogs wander in and sleep on the bed off and on during the day. And
I wouldn't want to have the hair, etc. against my blankets if I turned the
quilt over. I've tried about everything with my many years of dog
ownership- including covering the quilt with an old sheet but then I can't
see the quilt and my room looks messy all the time. Replacing the worn out
quilts works for me- and I get to redecorate the room every year or so.
Keeps my little blonde brain from getting bored! LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 15th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TinaR

Leslie, I hear ya on the need for reasonable backing fabric - I've
been making a lot of quilts lately that serve no purpose whatsoever,
so I am never sure where they will end up and so how much $$ to put
into it.

I've had really good luck with these "tonal" backs from Fabric.com:

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabri...t-backing.aspx

NAYY..

They come in lots of colors, and at 6.98/yd for 108" width, it's a
great price. They are really stiff - which I like, because the backing
"lays down" then and is easier to baste.

-Tina in Sowal.

Wide Backings -- Where? Sherry Quilting 15 November 30th 09 02:44 PM
The thread on insuring a quilt got me to thinking. Phyllis Nilsson Quilting 3 January 28th 06 04:53 AM
backings Diana Curtis Quilting 35 September 9th 04 04:34 PM
variegated thread on a cone? Kristen L. Renneker Quilting 52 July 3rd 04 07:16 PM
Variegated Rayon thread?? Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 2 December 3rd 03 02:38 PM