Pet peeve: shipping time

Old March 26th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TinaR

Default Pet peeve: shipping time

I got a snippy email today from an online retailer when I complained
about how long it was taking my order to get shipped (I understand
USPS/UPS delays - I only hold the etailer responsible for getting the
thing out the door and addressed correctly).

It has been a full week (I placed the order early am last Thursday)
and I was just notified that the order had shipped (this isn't a tough
order - machine oil and some bobbins - it doesn't even need to be cut,
FTLOG).

Now, that's a week, no matter how you slice it, so I asked if one of
the items had been backordered. The answer was, "it says on our
website that shipping will be 7-10 days, depending on how far you are
from Florida, and you placed your order 5 business days ago". Well, I
am IN Florida, so I sort of assumed that I would be on the SHORT end
of the shipping scale.

This kind of answer always says to me, "Hey, we said 10 days, and we
get the full ten (business) days to get it to you. Shut up."

Am I wrong? I mean, I placed an order early Thursday morning. I
expected it to go out Friday, or at the latest, Monday, unless
something was backordered. They have the big old "If you're not 100%
satisfied" yada yada on their website.

I understand that if you place an order during Hancock's or Keepsake's
big web sales, it may take a while to get your order cut and shipped.

But, as a standard practice, during normal times, from a company which
is web-based, how long SHOULD it take to throw a couple of items in a
box and ship it out?

Old March 26th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

Not to sound rude, but if they clearly state the time allowed for
shipping, then that is what should be expected. They know their
business and their needs and have clearly stated that on their web
page. It doesn't matter if it is 20 yards of fabric being cut from
individual bolts or if it is a pack of needles. Now if it were taking
longer, then I would begin to be frustrated with the length of time,
but if they have the order out the door in the time frame they set -
then there is nothing to be complaining about.

Just my two cents.

Dannielle

Old March 26th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

There are all kinds of factors that could enter it. One is the size of
the business. If it's a very small operation with only one or two (or
maybe zero) employees, it's possible that they were really swamped with
orders or there were other things going on in their personal lives that
kept them from filling the order as promptly as you would have liked. In
that case, it would have been nice if you had received a better answer
to your e-mail, but again if they're really busy, they may not want to
take the time to reply in more detail. And if they are really busy, they
may be prioritizing order filling according to how long they anticipate
shipping to take rather than the order in which the order was received.
In any case, you don't have to do business with them again.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default

Old March 26th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

To add to what others have said, if you were in a rush to get oil and
needles, why didn't you go to the LQS and purchase them?

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old March 26th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TinaR

On Mar 26, 3:48*pm, "maryd" wrote:
To add to what others have said, if you were in a rush to get oil and
needles, why didn't you go to the LQS and purchase them?

Because I don't have one? Not even a WalMart. Everything is a minimum
25 miles away - Wally world is 20, the LQS is 45 (which makes it not
so "L"). TWSLTH, 75. My sewing machine dealer, about 60. You should
see my total when I actually do make it to the LQS!

Normally, when I order something online, it gets here LONG before I
could have made it to any of the above. I bought crazy things like
plumbing fixtures and light fixtures when we were building our house,
I buy almost all of my fabric online, I am an insanely frequent
shopper at Drugstore.com, so it's not like I am not aware of how these
things usually happen. I just think a week between order and shipment
is kinda lengthy.

I did get another snippy response from the shop. Hopefully they have
already actually shipped the order.
Old March 26th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_4_]

TinaR wrote:
I got a snippy email today from an online retailer when I complained
about how long it was taking my order to get shipped (I understand
USPS/UPS delays - I only hold the etailer responsible for getting the
thing out the door and addressed correctly).

But, as a standard practice, during normal times, from a company which
is web-based, how long SHOULD it take to throw a couple of items in a
box and ship it out?

I am wondering if you plan to continue to do business with these people?
How long it takes them to ship your order would seem to send a message
about the importance of your business to them. I tend to order again and
again from retailers that treat me as if I am important to them. And
once I am unhappy with one I usually don't go back for more punishment.

Judie

Old March 26th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Mar 26, 2:14*pm, TinaR wrote:
[...]

I dunno, Tina. This just me, but unless it's a large company or
Christmas season,
I kind of expect the item to at least be shipped out sooner than a
week. I hate
waiting weeks for an online order to appear (instant gratification
society member?)
I've had items appear in the mailbox amazingly fast from online sites.
In fact,
I usually *receive* them within a week. I don't think I'd do biz with
that outfit
again....particularly because of the snippy reply.

Sherry
Old March 27th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I think you should allow what their website says. But I do agree with
you that I would have been taken a little back by the fact that order
took so long to get out the door. I too would have expected such a small
order with nothing to cut to be out the door a little quicker. Like
maybe 2 or 3 business days at most. I also would have been miffed with
their manners in their email. Even presuming I was wrong in my
assumptions they should not have worded their email so unprofessionally.
Probably wouldn't shop there again unless I really had to.
That my two cents.
Take Care
joanna

Old March 27th 09, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Name that store!! I for one would nt shop there. I order frequently from US
and usually get a shipped to you email the same day or next!
--
Estelle UK

You are never too old to become the person you should have been!
My photos are here!
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11