Tip of the day

Old July 25th 05, 03:15 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:10:18 -0500, Barbara Hass
wrote:

Cardstock and papers can be expensive. For added texture and dimension,
look for more economical fabric remnants that can be used to layer on
your cards. (Probably not for scrapbooks if you're worried about
acid-free). I got some tulle for $0.87 for almost a whole yard, and
some red burlap for around the same price at JoAnn's. Many times
they'll have decorative fibers/yarns and ribbons on discount, too!

Barbara

I agree. I teach a class on scrapbooking in the fabric store. There
are a lot of things you can use. Buttons, velcro, rickrack, binding
tape, all kinds of things. As the daughter of a professional
seamstress and quilter, I steal things from her junk drawers all the
time.

Cindy

Using my sister's Agent account, my email is .
It will be a great day when the schools have all the money they
need, and the air force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber.

Old July 25th 05, 07:44 PM
Jeanne Burton

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:09:40 -0700, Pat Kight wrote:

Barbara Hass wrote:

Cardstock and papers can be expensive. For added texture and dimension,
look for more economical fabric remnants that can be used to layer on
your cards. (Probably not for scrapbooks if you're worried about
acid-free). I got some tulle for $0.87 for almost a whole yard, and
some red burlap for around the same price at JoAnn's. Many times
they'll have decorative fibers/yarns and ribbons on discount, too!

Other sources for free/cheap card stock:

If you already have a business relationship with a commercial printer, ask
what they do with their old paper sample booklets. These come from the
paper companies as an aid to customers selecting paper for printing orders,
and typically contain a dozen or more small sheets of paper or card stock
in every color or texture that particular stock comes in. When new booklets
come out, the printers often throw the old ones out. Privately owned
printers (not the Kinko's/Staples variety) are sometimes happy to give away
their old samples. To be polite, I usually offer some token payment.

For heavier stock, try a picture framing gallery. Ask what they do with the
centers of the mats they cut for framing artwork. I've been able to buy an
entire liquor box full of various colors of mat board in scraps about
8"x10" for $3.

Paint chips now come in many more forms. There are even textured
chips. Paint chips aren't just strips of colors anymore.

Old July 26th 05, 05:26 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:20:27 -0500, Barbara Hass
wrote:

Jeanne Burton wrote:

Paint chips now come in many more forms. There are even textured
chips. Paint chips aren't just strips of colors anymore.

Cindy

OK, I've seen paint chips mentioned in magazines for stamping and
scrapbooking. Where do you get them, outside of stealing from
Wal-Mart/Lowes paint section? Do you ask for old ones from retailers?
Or are people selling them now?

Barbara

You steal them from the paint section. That is what they are for.
The paint guy from the Home Depot even saves me the ones they throw
away. He just keeps them for , in his words, "crazy people like you,
who actually want them."

Old July 26th 05, 09:57 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Barbara Hass wrote:

Jeanne Burton wrote:

Paint chips now come in many more forms. There are even textured
chips. Paint chips aren't just strips of colors anymore.
Cindy

OK, I've seen paint chips mentioned in magazines for stamping and
scrapbooking. Where do you get them, outside of stealing from
Wal-Mart/Lowes paint section? Do you ask for old ones from retailers?
Or are people selling them now?

Barbara

You can ask for old ones from retailers, but if there are specific
colours you want, its prolly best just to hover around the stand and
mutter quietly to yourself whilst selecting shed-loads which compliment
each other - hold several up against each other and ask the ever-ready
assistant who is at your shoulder waiting to ask "can I help you" -
things like "will this yellow really go with this magenta?" or whatever
- and walk off with armfuls of co-ordinated colour chips which the
helpful assistant has picked out for you!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK