Handi-Quilter

Old August 6th 03, 04:28 PM
connie

Default Handi-Quilter

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Handi-Quilter, so I can start doing my own
machine quilting. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them,
or other suggestions that I should consider. I thank you in advance for your
help.

Old August 9th 03, 12:23 AM
Laurie G.

I looked at a HQ today. The machine that was on it was a Baby Lock
(Brother PQ1500). The one thing I didn't like about it was that the
"quiltable" area was only 5" x width of the quilt. If I wanted to quilt
a 12" feathered wreath I would have to do it in sections. I am going to
do more investigating but know I will not get a HQ.

HTH - Laurie G.

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
"connie" wrote in message

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Handi-Quilter, so I can start doing my own
machine quilting. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them,
or other suggestions that I should consider. I thank you in advance for

your

help.

First off, you don't need a HQ to do machine quilting. A frame-type system
just makes it easier to move a large quilt around under the throat of the
sewing machine. *grin*

I'd strongly suggest you test drive any type of machine you are looking to
buy. In fact, try more than one system. (You'll usually find several
different vendors at any of the larger shows.) Think about the pros and cons
of each system and how they relate to the type of quilting *you* do. And
don't overlook going to a shortarm machine -- they cost about the same as
getting a frame system with an industrial sewing machine, and usually have
much heavier-duty components.

For every person who likes a particular system, I can probably find you two
people who don't like it. It's kind of like cars -- I might rave about a
Mazda Miata, but if you're the kind of person who loves a Lincoln Town Car,
you won't particularly enjoy owning a Miata. Nothing wrong with either car,
it's just that one car suits you and the other doesn't. So that means YOU
need to do some test driving.

Good luck!

Old August 10th 03, 02:42 AM
niasha

Laurie, it's not the quilting system but the sewing machine that limits the
quilting area. To sew a 12 inch wreath without adjustments, you will need a
sewing machine with a 12 inch+ throat (needle to back of machine). The
current machines with the largest throats (Juki and Brother) are only 8.75
inches and cost about $1,000. Again, it's not the quilting system but the
sewing machine. Some of the shortarm machines you might think about are the
kenquilt and the hobbyquilter by nolting. I think the handiquilter folks
are coming out with a SM with a 16 inch throat fairly soon. These are in
the $3-4 thousand range.
--
Niasha
"What doesn't kill you, defines you."

Old August 10th 03, 06:43 AM
Laurie G.

Niasha - thanks for the info on the nolting machines. i will look into
them. The space btwn rollers was quite large but the space btwn the
needle and the roller inside the throat was small. Ah, so much to learn
and investigate.......:-)

Laurie G.