Satin Stitches on Lycra fabric

Old August 10th 05, 10:10 PM
VegasQuilter

Default Satin Stitches on Lycra fabric

Hello

I am in need of help. I have a customer who is a member of a rock group and
needs some satin stitches (to look like Frankenstein) on top of lycra sport
type pants (close fitting). I have tried everything that I know and am not
having any luck. I know it can be done because he has a pair of pants that
a quilter did for him in New Jersey. No matter what I try the fabric waves.
I''m using a 10 ball point needle; I have lessened the presser foot tension;
I've tried tear away and water soluable stabilizers. I've tried different
widths of zigzag along with decreasing the desnity of the stitch. I've
tried not stretching the fabric and stretching the fabric as I sew. No
matter what it ripples.

We have a month to either find someone who can do this or someone who can
tell me what I may be doing wrong. I'm in Vegas. Thanks.

Linda

--
Linda Ruskauff
Personalized Threads

Old August 11th 05, 02:49 AM
romanyroamer

Have you tried reducing the bobbin tensin as well as the top? I have used
thread elastic (used for shirring) when decorating lycra........Amelia in
Austraia

Old August 11th 05, 07:46 AM
Doreen

What about putting a layer of water soluble stabilizer on top of the
fabric, where you'll be stitching, as well as using regular stabilizer
on the backside? Or maybe you've tried that already...

Doreen in Alabama

Old August 13th 05, 09:18 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Hi!
There are two methods that I have found work quite well: for velvet lycra
glue (I have used Aleene's stretchable flexible fabric glue with good
results) a stabiliser in place on the right side of the fabric that is
slightly smaller than the finished design. Leave to dry. When dry, go
ahead with your stitching.
Method number two is to paint the general area of stitching with a heavy
starch. Again, leave to dry. When dry, go ahead and do the stitching.
Wash out the starching when the project is complete.
Good luck!
Cynthia

Old August 16th 05, 10:50 PM
Fred Lebow

Long shot suggestion

Try a layer of the no show nylon mesh stabilizer on the backside It is made
in blk wht and beige
It is very strong

Sincerely
Fred

Old August 18th 05, 01:47 PM
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:49:29 -0500, romanyroamer wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I'd also consider a cutaway stabilizer instead of wash away or tear away.

Old September 12th 05, 10:16 PM
Joy Hardie

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:18:39 -0700, "Cynthia Spilsted"
wrote:

Hi!
There are two methods that I have found work quite well: for velvet lycra
glue (I have used Aleene's stretchable flexible fabric glue with good
results) a stabiliser in place on the right side of the fabric that is
slightly smaller than the finished design. Leave to dry. When dry, go
ahead with your stitching.
Method number two is to paint the general area of stitching with a heavy
starch. Again, leave to dry. When dry, go ahead and do the stitching.
Wash out the starching when the project is complete.
Good luck!
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
That is an amazing idea you have there. If I understand you
correctly, you put your design on with the glue-based
"stretchable-flexible" product....then after it is dry....you are
basically freehand zig-zagging over the raised surface?
Never would have thought of that. Nice results?
What a great idea.
Thanks,
Joy
Old September 13th 05, 06:10 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

wrote:

[...]

Awesome results, Joy:

I used this method (after much trial and error on scraps!) to do the design
on my daughter's Irish dress. I used velvet lycra instead of regular velvet
because the fit and look is nicer. The greatest complement on the dress was
when a troupe of Irish dancers came to town and performed at the elementary
school. Jenn also performed her dance (it was multicultural week) - and
those dancers wanted to take a closer look at her dress! I did the freehand
zig-zag using a rayon embroidery thread and a tear-away stabiliser on the
back of the fabric (I used the kind that is sort of lightly 'waxed' paper -
not the fabric. Because you are working with a stretch fabric, applying any
kind of heat is a no-no, but that goes on with a slightly warm iron.)
For Irish designs on regular lycra, I usually paint them on with flexible
paint and a very fine brush or use a bottle with a fine hole. I have done
several group costumes over the years and all of the outfits are still in
use.
Cynthia

Old September 15th 05, 12:04 PM
Joy Hardie

Cynthia,
It sounds so wonderful I just can't wait to give it a try on
something!! I guess I have one more question.....do you have a fancy
machine? I just have a plane regular Singer that does zig-zag stitch.
I wonder if I can get similar results. I have never had tremendously
great results with freehand work....but I think it is because I don't
spend a great deal of time perfecting it (my thought). I bought the
special needle with the spring....was that the right thing to do for
freehand embroidery. Shows how much I don't know.
Joy

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:10:25 -0700, "Cynthia Spilsted"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Fabric bowl report Kathy Applebaum Quilting 24 April 2nd 04 12:54 AM
Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 07:54 PM
Branching out and trying new things: fabric question Chrysta Wilson Needlework 60 November 20th 03 04:34 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM