Removing silly putty

Old September 9th 05, 07:59 AM
Trish Brown

Sally Holmes wrote:
romanyroamer wrote:

The smell washes out. I also use Teatree oil. Eucalyptus and / or tee
tree oil will remove any goo or stain. I have used them mixed to
remove acrylic paint (dried) from a satin jacket. Both oil's are
excellent for removing cradle cap even.

I would be very careful about using it like this: it's toxic to cats and I
wouldn't chance it on a baby's delicate skin.

It's toxic to humans when given by mouth so it's not a good idea to ingest
it.

I do use tea tree oil - it's a great antiseptic and anitfungal - but treat
it with care. Natural is not the same as harmless.

Sally

Sally, you're quite right about it being toxic, but let me tell you, my
Nanna dosed us with a teaspoonful of sugar containing as much eucalyptus
oil as would fit into the teaspoon every time we had a headcold! I'm not
dead yet and neither is my sister (or my Mum, for that matter). I think,
maybe it's toxic in rather large doses... not in the small dab you'd use
to remove a stain...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old September 9th 05, 03:58 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Thank you for the warning about cats! I thought it could be toxic to them
because I knew of its low level toxicity for humans (topical only use - do
not ingest). We use it as a lice treatment (excellent to use in shampoo to
prevent those little nasties!). It is also very good to dilute in water and
add a few drops to the 'bedding' in our lizard cage to keep the bark mites
down.
Finally, a few drops in the rinse water of your laundry cycle to destroy
dust mites. We don't have a moth problem here, but I wonder if it could
also be used to scent a pomander to protect woollens and other fine fabrics?
Cynthia
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
. uk...

Old September 9th 05, 05:25 PM

Trish Brown wrote:

Sally, you're quite right about it being toxic, but let me tell you, my
Nanna dosed us with a teaspoonful of sugar containing as much eucalyptus
oil as would fit into the teaspoon every time we had a headcold! I'm not
dead yet and neither is my sister (or my Mum, for that matter). I think,
maybe it's toxic in rather large doses... not in the small dab you'd use
to remove a stain...

I think Eucalyptus oil and Tea Tree Oil are two separate things. There
are tons of cough drops with eucalyptus in them, so it should be okay.
Old September 9th 05, 05:38 PM
Trish Brown

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:

Sally, you're quite right about it being toxic, but let me tell you,
my Nanna dosed us with a teaspoonful of sugar containing as much
eucalyptus oil as would fit into the teaspoon every time we had a
headcold! I'm not dead yet and neither is my sister (or my Mum, for
that matter). I think, maybe it's toxic in rather large doses... not
in the small dab you'd use to remove a stain...

I think Eucalyptus oil and Tea Tree Oil are two separate things. There
are tons of cough drops with eucalyptus in them, so it should be okay.

Oh yes! Eucalyptus oil is distilled from the leaves of E.globulus
(Tasmanian Bluegum) while Tea Tree oil comes from Melaleuca alternifolia
(which is a misnomer, because the true Tea Trees come from the genus
Leptospermum...). Eucalyptus has been used for yonks to treat head colds
because it works as well as menthol does to open airways. Tea Tree has
been used by indigenous peoples from time immemorial as a natural
antibiotic. It really does work very well to repel headlice too! It's
not so good once an infestation is present, but it will prevent one from
starting if you spray it in your kids' hats!

Anyway, as I said, eucalytpus used in small doses (ie. just enough to
flavour an item - it's very strong) seems not to do much harm. I was
amazed to hear of its toxicity, having taken it all my life! I think it
would be silly to administer it internally, knowing as we do that it can
cause trouble. But I don't think using it topically on fabrics could do
much harm at all, especially if you wash it right out with warm soapy
water. Eucalyptus oil is *brilliant* for getting chewing gum out of
hair! I know this from experience! ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old September 11th 05, 04:38 AM
romanyroamer

Hi Sally,
I've used tea tree oil on the scalps of my children with no adverse affect
and yes Trish I have found that Tea tree oil will kill an infestation of
nits (use undiluted) and then comb through Wash hair well and beware of
eyes. Then comb through the oil regularly or do as you do with
hats.....Amelia