Sorting Stash

Old October 24th 03, 05:59 PM
frood

Not in my van. Scares the little pirates. I just distract the other raiders
with chocolates and plunder their booty!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
I've never participated in one of these stash raids. For a long time, I
have been wondering -- at what point in the raid do the raiders begin to
raid each other? Is there ever bloodshed?
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 24th 03, 06:06 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
I've never participated in one of these stash raids. For a long time, I
have been wondering -- at what point in the raid do the raiders begin to
raid each other? Is there ever bloodshed?

What? Shed blood and risk getting it on the fabric???? The very idea!!!!

As to what point do the raiders begin to raid each other, it's been my
experience that starts long before the actual raid has begun. In fact,
sometimes it never gets any farther than the raiders raiding each other.
(Either that, or I need a new raiding crew! ROFLOL)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 24th 03, 06:35 PM
DDM

Works every time......heheheh

Dee in Leroy, NY

"Laura Bartl" wrote in message
news
[SCREECHING TO A HALT]
did she say sale? where?? where???? must find sale...all other plans on
hold...
--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

"DDM" wrote in message
However am I going to distract you and Laura so that I can get to Ohio
first? Oh, look! Isn't that a 50% off sale at that LQS in Indiana?

Dee in LeRoy, NY (I might not be fast but I am sneaky enough to make up

for
it)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Anything that fits in my wee truck is fair game. Why stop with fabric?
Diana :-)

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Laura Bartl" wrote in message
news Great room, great stuff!

Now, here's my question - when we go on stash raids we aren't

limited
just fabric are we? can we go for stuff that holds fabric? has

fabric
touch
it? is within, say, fifty feet of some fabric? just wondering...

vbg
--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

"WoodenSpools" wrote in message
My stash is first sorted by type. I am a Civil War reproduction

fabric
fanatic and have the first three drawers of my oak dresser full of
that -
arranged by color. Then a drawer for homespun plaids; all

colors.
Then
drawers and bins sorted by color for most the rest of it.

Christmas
fabric
gets its own bin.
And then there's a bin for the stuff I don't use but haven't

managed
part
with yet.
Hubby recently helped me build one of those Judy Martin ironing

tables,
and
I have bins of fabric on the shelves underneath the ironing

surface.
And then I have a wood CD cabinet hanging on the wall housing my

fat
quarter
collection; all colors.
You can see my sewing room at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/buckeyebev

How do you sort your stash? By color? By style? By size? By date
acquired?

Old October 24th 03, 06:55 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"frood" wrote in message
news
Not in my van. Scares the little pirates. I just distract the other

raiders
with chocolates and plunder their booty!

Feel free to distract me anytime! ;-)

Old October 24th 03, 07:08 PM

Bev,

" have more drawers
that I bought on sale- but they are empty at the moment."- Julie

heavens, Julie - don't 'cha know it is bad luck to have *emtpy* bins??? go
right out and buy enough fabric to FILL them!- Bev

I use the empty drawers (for the time being) to prove to my husband that
I hardly have any fabric- especially since I took him to a quilter's home
where she has an entire walk-in closet stacked with copy paper sized
boxes stuffed full of fabric. It makes me look harmless

I am trying to forgo stashed fabric for some spiffy other things like
EQ5, etc. I buy for planned projects or swaps anyway. If anyone is
*really* concerned about my empty stash drawers, feel free to help out

As for my thread box - my husband's father bought it for his tools back in
the early forties from an old man. Used it all these years, and then bought
himself a new, bigger toolbox and gave the old one to my DH. It was
positively black with age/grease/use. He refinished it for me as a
Mother's Day gift two years ago; I lined it with new green felt. These are
Machinist's tool boxes. Precision machine tools lay flat in the thin
drawers. Perfect for my Mettler threads. Everytime I look at that box, I
think of its history and the time my hubby took to refinish it for me. I
love it.

This story is so great. Your box has history and meaning and looks really
nice also!
I have seen new, similar wood tool boxes at Sam's Club. I think they run
around $100. Not the best quality, but certainly do the job.
The BEST tool boxes that any toolmaker/machinist covet are Gerstner.
check:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/gerstner/gerindex.html
a bit pricey - heck, a LOT pricey, but a major drool factor.

Wow I checked out that website. Whoa! I can see that these boxes are
well crafted. If I get something similar- I would like it to be well
built. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for an old greasy one to fix up

Julie
Richmond, VA
Old October 24th 03, 11:19 PM
Diana Curtis

There is no need for bloodshed.. I just find out who is attending the stash
raid, and while they are gone I raid *their* stash!
Diana, the Lady Who Lies in Wait

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
igy.com...

Old October 26th 03, 01:58 AM
WoodenSpools

Thank you! I was amazed to find that there were 575 "visits" to my sewing
room this week after I posted my first message. The r.c.t.q. is a busy
place!
Buckeye Bev
"QuiltiM" wrote in message
What a great sewing room Bev has! I also sort by color.

Old October 26th 03, 04:27 PM
Dr. Quilter

love your quilting room, nice stuff and like you said, there is an order
and unifying style that brings it all together... but I am in love with
your spool box. saw a similar one at a thrift shop the other day but the
guy wants like 250 if I remember correctly...

WoodenSpools wrote:

My stash is first sorted by type. I am a Civil War reproduction fabric
fanatic and have the first three drawers of my oak dresser full of that -
arranged by color. Then a drawer for homespun plaids; all colors. Then
drawers and bins sorted by color for most the rest of it. Christmas fabric
gets its own bin.
And then there's a bin for the stuff I don't use but haven't managed to part
with yet.
Hubby recently helped me build one of those Judy Martin ironing tables, and
I have bins of fabric on the shelves underneath the ironing surface.
And then I have a wood CD cabinet hanging on the wall housing my fat quarter
collection; all colors.
You can see my sewing room at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/buckeyebev

How do you sort your stash? By color? By style? By size? By date acquired?

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 26th 03, 04:33 PM
Dr. Quilter

I sort like Teresa, maybe with less categories, only that I put larger
pieces in a different area of my shelving so I can put two piles of
folded fabric per square foot nook.

Teresa in Colorado wrote:

I have a closet with 3 rows of wire shelves all the way across. I have 2
large piles of novelty fabrics and multi-colored fabrics, a pile of
white/cream/brown neutrals and a pile of gray/black neutrals.

The rest of my stash is sorted by the colors in the color wheel - blue,
blue/violet, violet, red/violet, red, orange/red, orange, yellow/orange,
yellow, yellow/green, green, and blue/green.

I did this sorting as an assignment for my color class and have found it to
be very very helpful when selecting fabric for a project. Having everything
where I can see it all is wonderful and having it sorted helps me to
determine where I have "holes" in my stash.

For example, I've been buying a bit more yellow, orange, yellow/orange, and
orange/red because I'm way short in that area. I know I will always have
more blue than everything else (it's what I use!), but the other colors are
really useful at times and the fabric stores are not open 24/7. I have also
been looking for pure hues - I have discovered that most of my stash is
muted and grayed. Pure hues are more difficult to find - so I pick them up
where I find them.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com