Ladies Workbook - free ebooks

Old September 26th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

Default Ladies Workbook - free ebooks

I've found a great website:

http://manybooks.net

It has thousands of books that can be downloaded free, in all sorts of
formats. They ask for a contribition, and I gave them one, because
they deserve it. Most of the books are pre-1930s, and thus out of
copyright, but there are a few more recent ones whose authors have
made them available. I downloaded about 30 books, some very long ones,
such as Boswell's Life of Johnson, to put (a few at a time) on my Palm
Lifedrive, which has a 4 gigabyte hard drive.

One of the books I found was the Ladies Workbook of Knitting, Crochet
and Lacepoint. It intrigued me, but the free copy didn't have any of
the diagrams. However, I googled the book and found a copy (not free,
though) at www.tradebit.com

So I bit the bullet and bought it, for about 8 euros, I think. (4.50
pounds sterling.) Tradebit is another site that looks interesting. It
is a hosting service for selling anything downloadable. At first
glance, I would say it's a bit disorganized, but it might be a good
place to sell patterns. Unfortunately, they seem to go in a category
called recipes/manuals, which is 33 pages long, without subdivisions,
and 95% recipes.

Speaking of Palm computers, I think that in the future when I'm
working on a pattern, I'll scan it and put it on my palm computer. It
should be easier than carrying around the printed instructions.

Right now, I've been too busy with my consulting work to do any
crocheting. I haven't touched it for several months now.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

though) at www.tradebit.com

So I bit the bullet and bought it, for about 8 euros, I think. (4.50
pounds sterling.) Tradebit is another site that looks interesting. It
is a hosting service for selling anything downloadable. At first
glance, I would say it's a bit disorganized, but it might be a good
place to sell patterns. Unfortunately, they seem to go in a category
called recipes/manuals, which is 33 pages long, without subdivisions,
and 95% recipes.

Speaking of Palm computers, I think that in the future when I'm
working on a pattern, I'll scan it and put it on my palm computer. It
should be easier than carrying around the printed instructions.

Right now, I've been too busy with my consulting work to do any
crocheting. I haven't touched it for several months now.

Thanks for the book!

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old September 27th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:21:05 +0200, B spewed
forth :

Speaking of Palm computers, I think that in the future when I'm
working on a pattern, I'll scan it and put it on my palm computer. It
should be easier than carrying around the printed instructions.

I do this, but I have to say that a paper pattern has distinct
advantages, especially if one is prone to marking things up as one
knits.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old September 27th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Wooly wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:21:05 +0200, B spewed
forth :

Speaking of Palm computers, I think that in the future when I'm
working on a pattern, I'll scan it and put it on my palm computer. It
should be easier than carrying around the printed instructions.

I do this, but I have to say that a paper pattern has distinct
advantages, especially if one is prone to marking things up as one
knits.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Wooly,

I have printed one out already and can mark it up as much as I want.

If you can't print one, email me and I will print it out and mail it to
you, I would be glad to do that.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old September 27th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:38:22 -0500, SpikeDriver
spewed forth :

I have printed one out already and can mark it up as much as I want.

If you can't print one, email me and I will print it out and mail it to
you, I would be glad to do that.

Buh? What are we printing, and for whom, and why? I've got printers
stacked under the desk - no lack of printing ability here! I'm just
saying, it's handy to have a copy of a pattern stashed in a handheld
(I do it with most of the patterns I use) but nothing beats having a
paper copy to mark up as one goes.

+++++++++++++

Old September 27th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Hi all,

B Vaughan wrote:
One of the books I found was the Ladies Workbook of Knitting, Crochet
and Lacepoint.

If you like vintage knitting things (which I most certainly do) Mrs
Beeton's Book of Needlework also has interesting chapters on Knitting
and crochet. You can download an unillustrated version free from
Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15147

I also have a couple of vintage patterns on my website
(http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz). These are more than 50 years old (and
don't have identifiable authors) so they are out of copyright (in New
Zealand anyway). I do plan to add some more (I've quite stash of
vintage patterns), is anyone looking for something particular?

Morag
P.S. I've been lurking for a wee while but this is my first post - Hi :
)

Old September 27th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On 27 Sep 2006 00:56:06 -0700, "Vintage Purls"
wrote:

Hi all,

B Vaughan wrote:
One of the books I found was the Ladies Workbook of Knitting, Crochet
and Lacepoint.

If you like vintage knitting things (which I most certainly do) Mrs
Beeton's Book of Needlework also has interesting chapters on Knitting
and crochet. You can download an unillustrated version free from
Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15147

The woman who was selling the Ladies Workbook on tradebit says that
she is working on transcribing Mrs. Beeton's book.

I noticed that she didn't just scan the Ladies Workbook. She also
added a table of contents with links to the various sections, and she
translated some of the abbreviations into their more modern
equivalents. At least I least I think so, because pattern repeats in
the free version I downloaded from manybooks.net were marked with an
"X", while in the version on tradebit.com, they were marked with an *.

I also have a couple of vintage patterns on my website
(http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz). These are more than 50 years old (and
don't have identifiable authors) so they are out of copyright (in New
Zealand anyway). I do plan to add some more (I've quite stash of
vintage patterns), is anyone looking for something particular?

Thanks, I'll have a look as soon as my slow connection digests Mrs.
Beeton.

Old September 27th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:26:37 GMT, Wooly wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:21:05 +0200, B spewed
forth :

Speaking of Palm computers, I think that in the future when I'm
working on a pattern, I'll scan it and put it on my palm computer. It
should be easier than carrying around the printed instructions.

I do this, but I have to say that a paper pattern has distinct
advantages, especially if one is prone to marking things up as one
knits.

I hadn't really thought about that. I'm a fairly new Palm user, but I
think that in some formats (iSilo for instance) you can attach notes.
Still, maybe that wouldn't accommodate the kinds of notes I write on
patterns.

Old September 28th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

wrote:
I also have a couple of vintage patterns on my website
(http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz). These are more than 50 years old (and
don't have identifiable authors) so they are out of copyright (in New
Zealand anyway). I do plan to add some more (I've quite stash of
vintage patterns), is anyone looking for something particular?

I've just seen your website; very nicely designed.

Old September 29th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

B Vaughan wrote:
I've just seen your website; very nicely designed.

Thanks!

I'll work on putting some more patterns up this weekend.