Best batting for baby quilt - polyester or cotton

Old August 26th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Best batting for baby quilt - polyester or cotton

Howdy!

Cotton. Or a mostly-cotton blend.
The batting in that tiny quilt I sent you is Hobbs Heirloom (of course g):
http://www.hobbsbondedfibers.com/quilters.html
and look what a happy little quilt that made. ;-D

Good luck, Tutu! The quilt top & back sound just fine.

R/Sandy--I like babies...on toast

On 8/26/07 10:02 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Ooh, a religious issue!
My own preference is always natural fiber. Cotton breathes, it shrinks up
and makes a lovely textured surface, drapes well, and it's a lot easier to
machine quilt, if that's your plan. Assuming your fabrics are also cotton,
why not stick with a good thing? And there's the fire safety issue, not that
your friend will ever suffer a fire. Polyester melts and sticks, cotton
needs a much higher temperature before it will burn.
Sounds like a really pretty quilt!
Roberta in D

"Tutu Haynes-Smart" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi all

I really need your help here - I am out of my depth. Very good friend has
just become a grandmother and asked me to make a baby quilt for her new
grandson. Now, babies - let alone baby quilts - are not my favourite
things - so I am swimming in deep water vbg.

I have made what is probably a totally unsuitable top (hoffman panel with
bears and ducks and other stuff) and made it a bit larger with a final
border of scrapy four patches. The back is my interpretation of a baby
quilt 12 x 14 3" rail fence blocks in barn-raising layout in shades of
blue yellow and turqoise with a large turqoise border around the outside
to make is the same size (more or less) as the front.

Now to my question:

Is cotton or poly batt better - and why?

I have both and don't quite know what to do next. The quilt will be used
in England if temparatures make a difference.

Help ....

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old August 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Has this been your experience, Anne?

I'm thinking of the quilts I love to cuddle, how they turn out
soft w/ the cotton blend, quilted w/in 2" all over. I've never
known of a cotton batt that yields a "stiff" quilt, but perhaps
it's the wonderful 80/20 blend that solves that problem.
Loose quilting often leads to a shifting batt, more wear on the
quilt top & back. At least that's what I've noted in 30+ yrs
of quilting, and seen in many of the older quilts I've repaired.
(I do not believe the pkgs that say may be quilted 6" or 8" apart;
sparse quilting doesn't usually yield long-lasting good results.)
Good quality products make a big difference in the outcome.

Tutu, you got that thing quilted yet? ;-P

R/Sandy

On 8/26/07 12:49 PM, in article
, "Anne Rogers"
wrote:

I'm tending more and more to cotton - are there ANY downsides??

yes, a quilt with cotton batting can be a bit stiffer than one with poly
batting and initially not feel as soft, to get round this, my suggestion
would be to choose a cotton batting that allows a large space between
lines of quilting and not quilt it densely, it will soften up with use
and washing.

Cheers
Anne

Old August 27th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Has this been your experience, Anne?

I'm thinking of the quilts I love to cuddle, how they turn out
soft w/ the cotton blend, quilted w/in 2" all over. I've never
known of a cotton batt that yields a "stiff" quilt, but perhaps
it's the wonderful 80/20 blend that solves that problem.
Loose quilting often leads to a shifting batt, more wear on the
quilt top & back. At least that's what I've noted in 30+ yrs
of quilting, and seen in many of the older quilts I've repaired.
(I do not believe the pkgs that say may be quilted 6" or 8" apart;
sparse quilting doesn't usually yield long-lasting good results.)
Good quality products make a big difference in the outcome.

I've only got one quilt with polyester batting inside, it definitely
started out softer than any with I've handled with cotton inside. My
daughter was given a baby quilt and whilst it wasn't unpleasantly stiff
it was definitely stiffer and less soft than either the aforementioned
one, or any other bedding she was used to, it's only taken a couple of
washes to soften it as well as a lot of use! I've just basted a quilt
with a cotton wool blend and that does feel softer, the packet says 3
inches as the quilting distance, which is a non issue as I like to quilt
fairly densely, I'm yet to start quilting it though, so I don't know how
it will feel when done.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 27th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

For those who are interested - consensus is cotton in 99% of cases (with
the exception of Ragmop who is 80/20!).

So that's what I shall use. And if the grandmother/mother/baby complain I
shall ask them to direct their problems to you. VBG

Thankyou everyone!!

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old August 27th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Tutu Haynes-Smart" wrote:

For those who are interested - consensus is cotton in 99% of cases (with
the exception of Ragmop who is 80/20!).

So that's what I shall use. And if the grandmother/mother/baby complain I
shall ask them to direct their problems to you. VBG

Thankyou everyone!!

Tutu, I must admit that, when I said "cotton", I was thinking of the
Hobbs 80/20, which is what I use 99% of the time. Oops! I should have
been more specific.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 28th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Hi, use the cotton batting instead of the poly. Polyester is plastic
and will melt and stick to skin if it catches on fire.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

Old August 30th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:
Thanks for all the input so far.

I'm tending more and more to cotton - are there ANY downsides??

Yes, drying it in the UK climate if you don't have a tumble dryer. Poly
batting holds very little water so you are only trying to dry the
"skin" of the quilt.

It always makes me laugh when the advice for quilts is to wash them,
only spin minimally and then lay outside covered with a sheet to dry.
No way would that have worked over here this summer!

Lizzy in grey, damp Lancashire, UK
Old August 30th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

from what we've seen on the news here...
the northern summer got more rain than we did this winter.
in UK and USA and lots of other places around the globe its been flooding in
the northern summer.
has the world turned completely upside down?
very very strange up there, folks.
confuddled in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote...