shortening a sweater

Old March 27th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default shortening a sweater

A couple of questions :

1) Is it weird that my pattern says this: Cont even until work from beg
measures 27, ending with RS facing for next row for the back, BUT then
this: Cont even until work from beg measures 24, ending with RS facing
for next row? ie, is it strange that there seems to be a 4 inch
difference between the back and the front?

2) I measured my brother (for whom I'm knitting this sweater) and it
seems the sweater at 28 inches is going to be way to big for him (he
has a short torso). Is there anyway I can fudge with the numbers so
that the finished measurement is around24 (and not 28? the pattern
doesn't give finshed measurements (only finished chest measurements).

Old March 27th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

It occurs to me that the shorter measurement of the front might be where the
neck shaping starts. About three to four inches difference is about right.
If there is no other shaping, then you can make the sweater whatever length
you like very simply by reducing the number of rows knitted before the
armholes.

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

wrote in message
oups.com...
A couple of questions :

1) Is it weird that my pattern says this: Cont even until work from beg
measures 27, ending with RS facing for next row for the back, BUT then
this: Cont even until work from beg measures 24, ending with RS facing
for next row? ie, is it strange that there seems to be a 4 inch
difference between the back and the front?

2) I measured my brother (for whom I'm knitting this sweater) and it
seems the sweater at 28 inches is going to be way to big for him (he
has a short torso). Is there anyway I can fudge with the numbers so
that the finished measurement is around24 (and not 28? the pattern
doesn't give finshed measurements (only finished chest measurements).

Knit sweater -- Decreasing on the wrong side Julie Yarn 8 September 28th 05 03:45 AM
"Big Fish" Sweater? Allaya Diep Yarn 0 April 27th 05 06:10 AM
"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one? Carolyn Sewing 12 October 20th 04 12:49 AM
Aran sweater pix Slinky Yarn 36 February 3rd 04 08:28 AM
Using Guernsey technique on Norwegian sweater? H Schinske Yarn 0 October 15th 03 09:44 PM