Introductions! OT

Old April 13th 04, 08:51 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Introductions! OT

To explain:
Everyone, please write a bio here, if you possibly can. I'll keep them on
Word, and give them out only to the people on this NG. And you don't HAVE to
write one if you don't want to. But if you do, please write it so I don't have
to edit it heavily....you now, no segments of other people's posts excerpted,
try not to make a big mess, etc.
:-) And please include your birthdate if you can.

Okay? Ready, set -- go.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old April 13th 04, 09:32 PM
Valerie

I consider myself a beginner, almost to the intermediate stage.

Me, too, most of the time. I'm really pushing to get better at what I do.

Excuse me Kathy?? What are you thinking woman? You are far far from a beginner,
way past the intermediate stage too. Quit being modest. ;-D

Valerie
http://www.valeriebeads.com
RCB FAQ: http://www.valeriebeads.com/FAQ.html
Check out my site for the RCB Member Links! E-mail me for details on
submission!

Old April 13th 04, 10:01 PM
Jan G

Well, while the dogs are snoozing, DH is playing with clay and before I
start dinner......

Here goes..........

I'm Jan and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Please never call me Janice, that
means I am in trouble, as in "Janice Adela Allen, get down here!!!!" I live
with my DH, a retired gov't employee. He hit 55 with 30 years in, took his
pension and hasn't looked back He is also a professional musician, playing
Irish music in the Irish pubs in the tristate area. We have a son and an 11
year old granddaughter who are moving to the San Francisco area in the fall,
sniff, sob (reaching for her hankey!) We share our home with 3 Wheaten
Terriers, Finbar, Liffey and KatieMAE!!!, the youngest. She came from
Wheaten Rescue as a foster and never left because she was born without a
real bladder and has to wear diapers.

I am a retired radiological tech, worked in orthopedics for over 20 years.
I was diagnosed several years ago with fibro and severe polyarticular OA. I
have had several surgeries, joints rebuilt in my hands, tendon repairs and a
total knee replacement over the years and could no longer work. So I had to
retire on disablilty.

I am involved in Wheaten Rescue, fostering, evaluating, placing them in
homes and transporting. I also belong to several Irish charitable
organizations and am the Data Systems Administrator for the St. Patrick's
Day parade in Pittsburgh. This entails getting the entry forms from the
committees, putting in a data base, assigning the line up positions and
writing the scripts for the reviewing stand announcers.

I got started in beading this past Christmas. We were shopping and I was
looking at jewelry. I made the remark that I could do that and DH took me
up on it. He gave me some tools, beads and other things for Christmas and I
was hooked. Of course, all the things he got were wrong, but he realized he
didn't know what I would need. So, a couple of days after Christmas he took
me to a large craft store and told me to go crazy.

Right now I do mostly necklaces and earrings, love semiprecious stones like
jasper, agate and obsidian. I try to do some with Celtic beads. I bought a
loom that I am hoping to set up next week after we get some things out of
the way and DH and I are both getting into polymer clay.

I lurk here a lot, reading and learning. I hope to someday have some
answers so I can help others. And I love the OT stories. Maybe I will post
some of my own someday.

So, that is me in a nutshell. Oh, and my birthday is May 20th. I am not
sharing the year but I am a boomer :-)!

Jan G

Old April 14th 04, 01:23 AM
Cheri2Star

Okay? Ready, set -- go.

Well, I can't remember if I ever did this or not, so here goes.

Hi. My name is Cheri (sounds like Sherry) and I am a beader. heh. I'm 54 and
live in Frederick, a small town nestled in the mountains of Maryland with DH
(who I met online 10 years ago) and Roxy the German Shepherd. Frederick is a
pre-civil war town. In fact, Abraham Lincoln stopped here on his way to give
the Gettysburg Address. It's utterly charming, with tons of antique stores.
This time of year the entire town is in bloom with cherry blossoms and bradford
pears and azaleas. One of my favorite things about Frederick is that it's 50
miles west of Baltimore and 50 miles northwest of Washington, DC. So we're
only an hour from lots of shopping, theatre, culture, whatever your heart
desires.

I have two grown daughters, one lives in Delaware and one in San Diego. The DE
daughter has two lovely kids, 7 YO Emily and almost 6YO Nathan. The CA
daughter is the one who got me hooked on beads. She came home for a visit and
said, I'm going to show you how to make bracelets! We shopped at Michaels and
JoAnns and she taught me how to make memory wire bracelets. I'm sure she never
thought I would take that and run the way I did. LOL. Anyway that was only
about 18 months ago, so I am still a relative newbie to beading. I've done a
little stringing and some beadweaving and I've learned alot and love it all.

DH is a cartographer (he makes maps) and he is a contractor for the govt.
agency NOAA. I am also a contractor for the Army as an accounting tech. DH
has two kids who lived with us for a couple of years but they are both in
college now.

Well, I guess that's enough for an intro. My birthday is July 12th.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)
Old April 14th 04, 03:25 AM
Lee S. Billings

In article ,
uppies says...

Hi, I'm Celine, and I'm a beadaholic... oh, that wasn't the sort of
introduction you meant? g

Okay, seriously. I was born in 1956, but am a relative newcomer to beading,
having only been doing this for about the past 3 years. I'm primarily a
bead-stringer, although I want to get into wirework too. I love lampworked
glass but have absolutely *no* ambition to do it myself! I work mostly with
stone and semi-precious beads; I like using pretty-but-unusual materials in my
work. I also work mostly with larger beads, though I use seed beads for accents
and similar purposes. Beadweaving would drive me batty.

Personally, I live in Houston with my partner and his daughter from a previous
marriage. I've been here since the end of 1998; before that, I lived in
Nashville for many years. We have 5 cats, all relatively young -- I lost my
23-year-old grand lady Mina last year. When I'm not online or doing beadwork, I
like to read (mostly science fiction and mysteries), attend science fiction
conventions, and contradance. My partner runs a T-shirt and bumper sticker
business. Not having a day job is good because it gives us more flexibility to
go to events; we range as far as Des Moines and Atlanta on occasion. So far
I've mostly tagged along and sold at the events he goes to, but this year we
are going to do a couple of real crafts fairs for me.

That's about all I can think of to say. Hope it helps!

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat

Old April 14th 04, 05:28 AM
Debbie B

My name is Debbie (44yrs old). I am married (3 yrs now) to Rodney(54yrs
old). He is a Paramedic and Firefighter (avid fly fisherman & flytyer).
I'm a First Responder and Honorary Firefighter. We live in Los Lunas, New
Mexico.

We have 3 chihauhaus. Buddy, who is my baby. He's 3 years old. His two
daughters, Eppy & Ms. Diamonds. They are 8 months old. We have no children
together. I have a daughter and a son from a previous marriage. Beth, who
will be 21 in May and Tony, who will be 20 in October. They both live in
Ohio.

I started beading last November. I've learned a few of the stitches but
have learned that I need instant gratification. So earrings and stringing
are what I've been doing. I will be trying to do the amulet bags next.

I took a class with a friend three weeks ago to keep her company. It was in
Polymer Clay. Oh Boy!! So now I have a station set up for Polymer Clay. I
love it. I like the sculpture part best. I have not tried the jewelry yet.
But I'm sure it will come.

I've got some wire working stuff going on too. But I haven't done anything
with it yet. A new shop in town is offering classes in a month, so I will
take that class too.

I crochet a little. Make Christmas stockings. Gardening & reading.

I have neurological problems so am on disability. Also bipolar, migraines &
now some type of back problem with excrutiating pain.

Birthday is December 13th
--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

---

Old April 14th 04, 06:57 AM
Anna W.

Hello RCB'ers...

I'm a first time poster. My name is Anna and live close to the Houston area
in Texas. I'm 55 yrs young and will be married 30 yrs in June to a wonderful
DH that has battled (and hopefully won) cancer this past year. No kids but
our sweet white Chihuahua, Chloe allows us to live in and share this nice
home with her.

It's been one year this month that I've been reading RCB. I went to a
Stitching Festival (I do counted cross stitch) last April and while waiting
for my Hardanger class to start, I took a Make-It-Take-It beaded bracelet
class. I came home more excited about the beads than the stitching. I told
DH it was "instant gratification" to bead and all he could say was, "UH
OH"!! I've been hooked ever since.

I've enjoyed this group so much and have learned way more than I ever
expected I could. I've learned (through online tutorials) to beadweave and I
like peyote the best but will try anything. I've made bracelets, necklaces,
earrings and ornament covers.

I truly feel that the beading and RCB has kept my sanity intact this past
year. It helps me kick my mind out of gear and not worry quite as much. I
feel as though I know many of you. I've laughed and cried with you. Cheered
you on and sent many, many good vibes out all over the world. For your
friendship, encouragement and knowledge, I thank you all.

Anna W. in Tx

Old April 14th 04, 06:59 AM
Karen Officer

I'm Karen. I live in Tracy California. 46 years old, been married
almost 29 years (in July) I have 2 grown sons. One is married. No
grand kids yet. I don't make beads, but I do like to make jewelry
(most recently made all the jewelry for my friend's wedding in march)
I like brick and peyote stitch and I like to go through the bead boxes
and just admire them sometimes too. I also quilt and do some wearable
art. Have dabbled at spinning and weaving. Geez sounds like all I do
is play. ;-) I also help my Dad oversee my Mom's care and play taxi
driver to DH's mom who is 82. She still drives a bit, but not in bad
weather, after dark or on the freeway.
Birthday is September 24.
Old April 14th 04, 06:59 AM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

lady, that is one looooooooooooooong commute!
even for California!

yep.... Only see him on weekends, and for his Reserve Duty weeks.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old April 14th 04, 09:12 AM
Lee S. Billings

In article ,
says...

Hello RCB'ers...

I'm a first time poster. My name is Anna and live close to the Houston area
in Texas.

Hi, Anna! Are you by any chance someone I'd know from the Houston Bead Society?
If not, would you be interested in finding out more about it? Info is available
at
http://houstonbeadsociety.org. Their next meeting is this coming Saturday,
from 10AM to noon on the 2nd floor of Texas Art Supply on Montrose. Starlia is
coming in from Austin, to go to the Intergem bead show, and we'll probably both
be there. It would be cool to have another RCBer in the bunch!

Celine