walking foot just arrived!!!

Old March 29th 04, 10:17 PM
Terbear

Default walking foot just arrived!!!

Well, now I finally have no excuse NOT to quilt these projects, any tips? I
heard you can use powder with stencils for dark fabrics & cinnamon with
lighter fabrics. I think I want to stick with my WS pen.
Oh, got a twin needle also, what fun that will be to play with!
--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts?&page=1

Old March 29th 04, 10:49 PM
Maine-iac Rose

Oh Teri, yes you will have lots of fun with your new TOYS, I remember when I
got my first double needle, and was just fooling around with it, now it
seems that I only use it when double topstitching is needed, and when I
first got my walking foot, boy that got me to do more quilting. And with my
new old treadle Premier, I got a walking foot for that, and have been trying
to use the treadle for quilting, but alas I needed to use my new Kenmore for
the last quilting job, and now going to use my old Kenmore for a PP project
or 2. Now if I can just get to use my serger more often, then all 4
machines will be busy, wish there were 4 of me, that way all the machines
will always have something to do. but alas the good weather is here, and I
need to get things done outside before the nasty bugs start in here, you
know our state bird the black fly, lol.
well have fun.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen to email me.

Old March 29th 04, 11:14 PM
Terbear

I too have a Kenmore. My husband picked it out for me, bless his heart.
Without him, I would not be sewing, I would not even know how to use a PC,
let alone care to, nor would I have cable or Tivo!
I would be in the dark ages!
Hope that state bird doesn't "bug" you too much. We have been dealing with
yellow jackets or hornets or whatever the heck they are...FINALLY had the
guy come out to exterminate them!
I could not stand finding them in my kitchen especially with the baby
hanging out with me!
My model is 16221, which is yours? If it is the same, I could not help
notice it had an embroidery foot available, but how would I be able to do
that? Free hand?

Old March 29th 04, 11:30 PM
frood

I sometimes mark straight lines with masking tape - just be sure not to sew
through it, or you get a gummy needle, and it's hard to remove. You can also
do gentle curves with your WF. Have fun with it - it's a great tool!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old March 30th 04, 01:06 AM
D&D

I picked up my walking foot yesterday too and have been playing with it a
little bit. DD was more excited than I was as I can now quilt her long
awaited Attic Windows quilt, just what she needs with this current cold and
wet weather we are having...

Dee in Oz

"Terbear" wrote ...

Old March 30th 04, 03:41 AM
Maine-iac Rose

that was sweet of you DH to get you that. my DH did purchase me a couple
machines, the green Premier treadle that I just got, and some time ago a
Singer Touch and Sew, oh yes and then there was this other odd sewing
machine he got me from a yard sale, oh about 26 years ago, when we were
first married. Now the Kenmore 19001,
(http://content.sears.com/data/produc...200000-dlv.jpg)
I got that myself, it is an embroidery machine, so it has the embroidery
foot. Now yours, if it isn't embroidery capable, then that foot was for
darning I would guess. But to do embroidery, yes free hand embroidery would
be the way to go with that foot.
My old Kenmore is from around the 60's era. Metal casing, (which you don't
see much of today) and straight stitch with stitch length and reverse. This
machine is capable of being turned into a treadle also, but I don't have the
right cabinet for it, so kept that one elec. I try to use that one for PP
mostly. Then my new Kenmore has 72(?) different stitches plus monogramming
included in the machine, so that is used mostly for that and making clothes,
and I want my treadle to be my quilting machine.
so is this your machine?
http://content.sears.com/data/produc...221000-dlv.jpg
My guess above about the embroider foot I think would be about right, unless
your darning stitch is used with the buttonhole attachment. Maybe it says
in your manual. Well enjoy it, and try doing some free hand embroidery or
free hand quilting sometime, I finally got around to doing some free hand
quilting, and thought that I would have problems with it, just make the
machine go fast, and you move the material slow.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

P.S. glad you got those hornets or yellow jackets out, especially with a
baby around.

Old March 31st 04, 12:43 AM
Sudrlg

Hi Teri

re marking tools for quilt tops. You mentioned

powder with stencils for dark fabrics & cinnamon with
lighter fabrics.

Cinnamon has oil in it and might permanently stain a light fabric. I don't
know what kind of powder would work. I have never found a good solution to
marking a lot of lines or patterns in advance - they all seem to rub off and
disappear before too long,
so I mark as I go. This is what I have found to work for handquilting - but
machine quilting should be pretty similar.
#2 pencils - regular or mechanical
General (brand) fabric pencils - yellow and grey work well
(the white pencils I have tried were chalky and hard to sharpen and constantly
broke)
soap slivers (keep sharp with washing and drying or a vegetable peeler)
chacoliners
masking tape (can be reused several times - also, wide tape can be used for
small templates - such as leaves)
water soluble pens for fabric marking
air erase pens
The pens are nice to use but - they are expensive and tend to dry out quickly.
While I have never had a problem with them, other folks have complained that
they were left with permanent stains. The directions tell you to avoid heat and
wash first in clear cool water. To be extra safe - pretest any marker on
scraps of the fabrics you will be using.
HTH -
your quilts are great
Deena in Philly

Walking Foot for Janome 9000 MICHAEL C MARSYADA Marketplace 0 September 5th 04 01:15 PM
Walking Foot Karlee in Kansas Quilting 1 December 13th 03 09:38 PM
Generic walking foot? D&D Quilting 0 October 24th 03 11:38 AM
Generic walking foot? Debbi Quilting 3 October 23rd 03 08:43 PM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM