What is this odd piece of fabric?

Old February 13th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace

Default What is this odd piece of fabric?

I found this piece of fabric in my mother's things after she died.
It's a seamless tube of white woven material, 4 feet long and about 18"
wide when flattened out. Each end has a scalloped, tatted edge.

I can't imagine what this is. Are there any antique textile experts
who could help me identify this piece?

TIA
Kate
Maine USA

Old February 13th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace

It sounds just much like something my mother in England used. When a
double bed was made, there was a long skinny pillow (a bolster) which
lay on top of the bottom sheet at the head of the bed. On top of this
there was placed the regular bed pillows. The bolster had a long skinny
cover called a bolster-case.
I am almost 70, and my mother has been long gone. I remember seeing
this when I was young; she didn't use it in later years; like us, she
just used two pillows. So, I would guess I last saw one about 50 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Gillian

Old February 13th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace

It sounds like a bolster case to me. I have two of them.
One long bolster the size of two pillows was used under the pillows on
the double bed. The open ends make it easy to draw the bolster through.
Mine have white work embroidered on the ends.
Shirley

In message .com,
writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk

Old February 15th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace

NO NO, Pat,

We are well-versed in household, fabric antiquities. Actually we are
very youthful!!

Gillian

Old February 15th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace

I think one of mine must be an antique one.
I had a fad a few years ago for collecting old white work. The old
Victorian night dresses and crochet trimmed huckaback towels. Also
beautiful white work embroidery small table cloths and plant stand
cover. Table cloths and napkins. They occasionally come out to be used
at appropriate times.
When I am feeling 90. LOL
Shirley

In message , Pat P