Another dress form question

Old February 2nd 04, 07:52 PM
Moe

Default Another dress form question

Hi, my daughter is a figure skater & this fall I started & finished a dress
for her (Deep purple,stretch velvet) Since then I have made 3 others. I am
now making the body in one piece & attaching the skirt last. ok here's my
question, it is hard to fit the skirt to the body as it is stretch velvet it
is also very difficult to pin when she has it on, I saw a dress form at
Fabricland, ( Ontario Canada) would this work for my intended application,
also are there cheaper ones as this was over 200.00 Canadian dollars. Are
they offered for sale used, if so where?
I am a beginner, but am really enjoying my new hobby, having never sewn
before this fall Please word your answers in plain lingo.
Thanks a million,
Skate Dad

Old February 3rd 04, 11:05 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:52:21 -0500, Moe wrote:
question, it is hard to fit the skirt to the body as it is stretch velvet it
is also very difficult to pin when she has it on, I saw a dress form at
Fabricland, ( Ontario Canada) would this work for my intended application,
also are there cheaper ones as this was over 200.00 Canadian dollars. Are

Hi Moe / Skate Dad,

A couple of hints and tips that might help for you:

1) Before making up the leotard, very carefully mark on the waist line on
the fabric. This can be done using a line of hand stiching. With the
pattern on top of the fabric, push pins through on the waist line, lift up
the pattern carefully, and mark all the pin positions with another pin.
Now run a line of hand stiched running stich along the marked line - front
and back.

2) Once you've made the leotard - mark the total diameter into 1/4's (side
seam, centre front, side seam, centre back) and maybe 1/8's if you have a
really frilly skirt.

3) Make the skirt, run in the gathering stitches. Before pulling it up,
mark the 1/4 and 1/8 positions. Now pull the gathering up, very carefully
fit the skirt to the leotard, and MATCH all the 1/4 and 1/8th positions.
Now adjust your gathering so the skirth fits the leotard. I appreciate
this may be difficult with a stretch fabcis. You may need to adjust things
so the skirt fits the *stretched* diameter of the leotard.

4) Sew the skirt on, remove all the 1/4 and 1/8 marks, and the line of
handstiching giving you the position of the waist.

A dress form can be useful - and won't wiggle like you daughter. You can
make a home made dress form - search the internet for "Duct Tape Doubles"
and follow the instructions.

Sarah

Old February 6th 04, 02:02 PM
Moe

Thanks Sarah, I will mark the placement of the skirt when cutting the
material ( I just found & bought different colours of dress makers pencils)
Thanks again, Skate Dad

news

dress form question Marilyn Sewing 14 January 31st 04 05:07 PM
New and searching for dress form unbroken Sewing 4 January 23rd 04 04:51 AM
In need of a plus size dress form Jalynne Sewing 4 September 13th 03 11:35 PM
help with antique dress form Filigree00 Sewing 0 August 29th 03 10:00 AM