Need info on mailing to UK

Old April 30th 04, 02:16 AM
lrdavis

Default Need info on mailing to UK

I will be mailing a package to the UK in the future. I've been
researching and will probably be able to send it in a Global Priority
Mail Envelope. My question is on the customs declaration. I don't want
the recipient to have to pay duty if it can be helped. It is a gift,
but I'm assuming I will have to declare the value. I have chosen things
from my stash, so I can honestly say that I've only paid $4 for the
whole thing (well, in the last 4 years anyway!) So I guess my question
is what value do I place on 2 charts, 2 pieces of fabric, and some floss?

Thanks for any help,

Lynn in Lancaster PA

Old April 30th 04, 04:42 AM
Jenn Liace

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:16:12 -0400, lrdavis wrote:

I will be mailing a package to the UK in the future. I've been
researching and will probably be able to send it in a Global Priority
Mail Envelope. My question is on the customs declaration. I don't want
the recipient to have to pay duty if it can be helped. It is a gift,
but I'm assuming I will have to declare the value. I have chosen things
from my stash, so I can honestly say that I've only paid $4 for the
whole thing (well, in the last 4 years anyway!) So I guess my question
is what value do I place on 2 charts, 2 pieces of fabric, and some floss?

U.S. Postal Service will insure ONLY for the actual cost of the
contents. For needlework (and I've asked specifically on this because
of a prior, work-related problem I'd had), that means the cost of the
fabric, threads, beads and charms, and frame/mat/glass, if already
mounted, or materials used in soft finishing. That does NOT include
the cost of the pattern (unless the original pattern is also in the
package) or any time incurred in creating or preparing for shipping.
Plus you have to have receipts for all of it if a claim is ever filed.

FedEx is the same way, I believe UPS uses the same guidelines.

In my work-related problem, FedEx first lost, then badly damaged
before realizing they found, then returned to us a box that contained
the original certified deposition transcript of the defendant in a
contract violation case, including the original, irreplacable
exhibits, and a set of computer diskettes. FedEx would reimburse us
only for the cost of one ream of paper and the blank computer
media.... AND they expected us to still pay their shipping charges!
Fortunately our firm archived the transcript in the system and we were
able to recreate and recertify the transcript and could replace the
contents of the diskettes, but our office didn't yet image and archive
exhibits so we were unable to replace those documents, even with
copies.

I've always wondered what that attorney told the judge...... I would
hate to be in his shoes.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Old April 30th 04, 05:06 AM
Olwynmary

I will be mailing a package to the UK in the future.

I have chosen things from my stash, so I can honestly say that I've only paid

$4 for the whole thing

So list them as "gift", "second-hand goods - stitching supplies", "value $4."

Yes, I do know about this, I was born and brought up in the UK, and still
sometimes send stuff over there.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old April 30th 04, 11:50 AM
F.James Cripwell

lrdavis ) writes:
I will be mailing a package to the UK in the future. I've been
researching and will probably be able to send it in a Global Priority
Mail Envelope. My question is on the customs declaration. I don't want
the recipient to have to pay duty if it can be helped. It is a gift,
but I'm assuming I will have to declare the value. I have chosen things
from my stash, so I can honestly say that I've only paid $4 for the
whole thing (well, in the last 4 years anyway!) So I guess my question
is what value do I place on 2 charts, 2 pieces of fabric, and some floss?

Thanks for any help,

Lynn in Lancaster PA

I have already read a couple of replies. A few further thoughts. My
impression is that customs are really only interested in the value of
expensive items. After all, if the customs duty is, say, 15%, then if the
item is valued at 10,000 dollars, customs will get quite a bit of money for
the work of making you pay. If the value is only 4 dollars, 60 cents is not
much payment for the work involved. It might cost customs 5 dollars to
collect 60 cents.
However, in order to comply with the law, you must put a value on it.
As long as your estimate is the best you can do, and you can justify it,
I suggest you put it on and dont bother about it any more. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old April 30th 04, 01:55 PM

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

This reminds me. I know we have a couple of people from down New Orleans
way. I'm going to be there in late June for a conference, and I'm looking
for non-needlework (I already have my money saved for a trip to The Quarter
Stitch) must-see attractions, places to eat, or things to do while there.
I was there last summer for a different conference, but had annoying
traveling companions. This time I'm free as a bird, and ready to party!
I'm staying at the Le Richelieu Hotel, and I will probably rent a car so
I'm not limited to in-taown stuff. Any suggestions?

Old April 30th 04, 02:03 PM
Skyhooks

Be sure to eat at Mandina's Really good food! Interesting
atmosphere (very casual). IIRC, the address is 2800 Canal Street (be
sure to verify). Oh, one thing about Mandina's -- they don't take
credit cards.

Sweet Stitching!!!!!!!

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis *aht* uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

TFTD: Good things turn up when both ends of your mouth do the same!

Old April 30th 04, 05:04 PM
Olwynmary

This time I'm free as a bird, and ready to party!
I'm staying at the Le Richelieu Hotel, and I will probably rent a car so I'm

not limited to in-town stuff. Any suggestions?

What sort of thing do you like to do? You will be right there on St. Charles
Avenue, and on the streetcar line, so you may not need to rent a car. How long
will you be here? Don't spend all your money in The Quarter Stitch before you
have had a look in The Garden District Needlework Store, which is inside an
antique store on Magazine Street, and, I think, has a wider stock.
http://www.gardendistrictneedlework.com

Do you want to go on a swamp tour, (they'll send a little bus out to pick you
up) or are you more inclined towards the brand-new Ogden Museum of Southern Art
(right close to your hotel) or the equally new outdoor Sculpture Garden at the
Art Museum in City Park? (you can get there by taxi or by the brand-new
streetcar line out that way). How about the Zoo or the Aquarium - and a
riverboat which will take you from one to the other if you like.

There is just so much to see and do here, you need to be really selective.
What do you REALLY like, and how long will you have to play?

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old April 30th 04, 06:04 PM
Roberta

"K" wrote in message
2...
Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

This reminds me. I know we have a couple of people from down New Orleans
way. I'm going to be there in late June for a conference, snip K

Are you going to the SHRM conference?? I'm jealous...I want to go but
can't.

Roberta