Patina Issue....

Old July 25th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

Default Patina Issue....

Hello there,

I'm presently having a problem getting a that 'rich copper' color from
my solder. I'm using the "Classique" brand Copper Patina (stuff is
blue in the bottle). Anyway, the solder seems to be turning out a bit
'Pinker' than that nice glossy Copper Patina I often see in other's
works. Is there some special prep that needs to be done to the copper
'first' before I use the Patina ? I've been shakin' the hell outta
the bottle and using some steel wool on the solder (60/40)

On a side note, I saw a few pieces that were made by this 'much older'
German fella and his stuff looked like it was wrapped in 'Chromel".
His small pieces had a super amazing finsh .... He said that he used
'calcium' or something....and added that "it makes all the difference
in the world". I couldn't stay long enough for him to explain it to
me, but thought I would ask here instead. Does anyone know what that
means... "To use Calcium" when finishing a piece ?

Cheers,

/MM

Old July 26th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Jman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there,

I'm presently having a problem getting a that 'rich copper' color from
my solder. I'm using the "Classique" brand Copper Patina (stuff is
blue in the bottle). Anyway, the solder seems to be turning out a bit

2 biggest issues are....

1. using fresh chemical, since it loses effectiveness and has a shelf life
once it's mixed. You never know how long it's been sitting around when you
buy it on the internet.
2. Piece must be incredibly sparkling clean and dry. That means no
detergent, soap, or residue of any kind. Even rubbing it with a cloth may
affect it. When done, you must use a polish to make it look like a shiny
penny.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old July 27th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

On Jul 26, 5:36 am, "glassman" wrote:
"Jman" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello there,

I'm presently having a problem getting a that 'rich copper' color from
my solder. I'm using the "Classique" brand Copper Patina (stuff is
blue in the bottle). Anyway, the solder seems to be turning out a bit

2 biggest issues are....

1. using fresh chemical, since it loses effectiveness and has a shelf life
once it's mixed. You never know how long it's been sitting around when you
buy it on the internet.
2. Piece must be incredibly sparkling clean and dry. That means no
detergent, soap, or residue of any kind. Even rubbing it with a cloth may
affect it. When done, you must use a polish to make it look like a shiny
penny.

--
JK Sinrodwww.SinrodStudios.comwww.MyConeyIslandMemori es.com

Hmmmm,

Ok, so the patina in question is from a local vendor but it could have
been on the shelf for awhile.... I couldn't be sure. I'll look for a
fresh one to eliminate that possiblility.

So once I've finished the piece, I should 'then' polish it before the
patina ? What kind of polish would you suggest ? Would a car polish
be OK or is there something specific that works better ? When using a
polish, is it best to use a special kind of cloth also ?

Cheers,

/MM

Old July 27th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

oups.com...
"Jman" wrote in message

[...]

Polishing is done after the patina is applied and washed off with soapy
water and dried. I use something called NEV-R-DULL. It's a cotton wadding
with polish. You apply, let dry to a haze, then buff with a soft cloth.
Yes copper patina is a pain. I almost always use the black.

Old July 28th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

Here's the secret to copper patina. After soldering, with flux still all
over panel (i use soldermate) spray the hell out of it with Windex. Wipe dry
w/ paper towels. Do other side. Now take a last wipe and pour on the patina,
rub in well, flip do other side after again doing a final wipe down. Then
just wash with tons of water and Dawn. Polish w' kem-o-pro or similar. Also
creates a beautiful rich black on zinc.m

Old July 29th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

Thanks for the Tips !

I'll give it a go.....

/MM

Green patina questions [email protected] Jewelry 3 June 2nd 07 08:36 PM
does anyone know where I can get patina disc beads... [email protected] Beads 5 September 21st 05 06:47 PM
Brass patina wanted Bill Cademy Glass 3 December 21st 04 03:12 AM
patina recipe Yvetta Voldan Glass 10 September 20th 04 09:54 PM
Wood patina George G Carving 0 July 6th 03 09:52 PM