Monica Ferris in Audio

Old May 2nd 05, 04:31 AM
Monica Ferris

Default Monica Ferris in Audio

I only just signed the contract with BBC Audio to bring the Betsy
Devonshire Needlework Mysteries to the audio market -- and they're
listed on Amazon.com as going on sale in June! I only signed over the
rights to two, Embroidered Truths, which will come out in hardcover the
same month, and Double Knit, which I haven't finished writing yet. The
audio of ET is costly, about $50 at Amazon, which (I hope) means it
isn't abridged. Still, it's exciting to finally have at least one
coming out in a version that means you can sit and stitch while you
listen.

What do you think, will anyone buy it?

BTW, I'm signed up for the Columbus Market, but did so too late to stay
at the hotel where it happens. Anyone know of a cancellation? Anyone
going want a roommate?

Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris

Old May 2nd 05, 01:15 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Monica Ferris wrote:
I only just signed the contract with BBC Audio to bring the Betsy
Devonshire Needlework Mysteries to the audio market -- and they're
listed on Amazon.com as going on sale in June! I only signed over the
rights to two, Embroidered Truths, which will come out in hardcover the
same month, and Double Knit, which I haven't finished writing yet. The
audio of ET is costly, about $50 at Amazon, which (I hope) means it
isn't abridged. Still, it's exciting to finally have at least one
coming out in a version that means you can sit and stitch while you
listen.

What do you think, will anyone buy it?

BTW, I'm signed up for the Columbus Market, but did so too late to stay
at the hotel where it happens. Anyone know of a cancellation? Anyone
going want a roommate?

Hi Monica,

$50 is a bit pricey. I would love to buy copies of your audio books for
my husband's grandmother. She'll be 92 this Thursday and she was an
incredible knitter before her eyesight became too poor to do handwork.
It's really sad to see a woman who took so much joy and pride in her
needlework unable to do it anymore and now she just sits. A lot of the
family has taken to getting her books on tape to listen to in her spare
time.
I think that elderly women may be a good target market for you...but
tell Amazon that none of them will be able to afford it on a fixed
income. :-(

Best to you,
Jenn

--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old May 2nd 05, 08:45 PM
Mulyanti

I'll buy them if they come on Audible.com.

I'd love to listen and stitch but only listen to MP3s

Old May 3rd 05, 12:38 AM
Jenn Liace

On 1 May 2005 20:31:13 -0700, "Monica Ferris"
wrote:

What do you think, will anyone buy it?

I personally wouldn't, but that's because I seem to be incapable of
following along with audiobooks. Not sure why, but I consistently
get lost while listening. But I do know several people that do very
well with audiobooks.

Jenn L.
--
www.needleful-things.com - NEW!
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Home of the Brave (Sally Rung)
Old May 3rd 05, 12:41 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Jenn Liace wrote:
I personally wouldn't [purchase an audio book], but that's because I seem to be incapable of
following along with audiobooks. Not sure why, but I consistently
get lost while listening. But I do know several people that do very
well with audiobooks.

I wonder if that has to do with early training experiences? For
instance, I grew up listening to stories on radio and learned to tune
out everything else. On the other hand, I've noticed that, without
practising that gift, I have lost some of the ability to follow a
storyline. There's "Chapter A Day" on Wis. Pub. Radio every day at
12:30 pm. I've tried to listen, but my mind wanders. :-) My mind has
gotten used to visual clues, and without them, I can't seem to focus
like I could years ago. I refuse to blame it on my age. :-)

Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old May 3rd 05, 02:28 PM
Mulyanti

I find I can only concentrate if my hands are occupied. I listen when
I drive and when I stitch, but I can't listen when I'm walking or when
I'm idle.

Definitely a kinesthetic learner!

Old May 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
anne

I've never bought an audio book but, imnsho, $50 is a bit pricey. I might spend
that much for a 'reference' tome in hardback but never for one story.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old May 3rd 05, 05:01 PM
Liz

Monica Ferris wrote:
I only just signed the contract with BBC Audio to bring the Betsy
Devonshire Needlework Mysteries to the audio market -- and they're
listed on Amazon.com as going on sale in June! I only signed over

the
rights to two, Embroidered Truths, which will come out in hardcover

the
same month, and Double Knit, which I haven't finished writing yet.

The
audio of ET is costly, about $50 at Amazon, which (I hope) means it
isn't abridged. Still, it's exciting to finally have at least one
coming out in a version that means you can sit and stitch while you
listen.

What do you think, will anyone buy it?

snip
Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris

How many cassettes will it have? Books on tape are NOT cheap but
that's how it is with some things in life. Libraries are a good source
of books on tape for those who can't afford to buy them. I considered
buying Jane Eyre on tape for my sister one year & it was $75 so I sent
the catalog to her DH. :-) I purchased "A Christmas Carol" for myself
on tape last Christmas and it was $25 for a two tape set (unabridged,
of course! ! !). Our library system charges $6 to $8 to replace a
damaged / lost tape IF it comes from a compnany that will replace
individual tapes, so $50 isn't as outrageous as it may seem for a
retail price on an audio book. I hope BBC gets you a good reader!
Liz from Humbug