Message for animaux

Old February 14th 04, 01:12 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/13/04 9:10 AM, in article ,
"cheshirecat" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:38:04 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

Funny you mention that - my neighbor works for Birthright. Yesterday over
tea, she was telling about one of volunteers mentioned that she got rid of
everything (burned it too) after each baby got to 2 or 3 years old.
Something to do with bad luck.

Strange world we live in.

Cheryl

It very well may be strange to you, but an inherent trait of another's'
traditions and culture. That's why there is no right or wrong here. I don't
believe in luck, but I do believe in karma, so I do my best to generate good
karma. That may be very strange to some, to others very reasonable. We're
all
different.

I did not mean "strange" as in odd or weird or even wasteful. More along
the lines of interesting or leading to new questions; why would such custom
originate? Would there be enough resources to allow this?

Cheryl

Old February 14th 04, 01:36 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

More along
the lines of interesting or leading to new questions; why would such custom
originate?

I could see it if the previous child died, burning everything that might have
had the disease on it, but it does make no sense to burn things that aren't
infected.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old February 14th 04, 01:36 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

They sued (or at least tried to) to get these 200 year old farms closed.

We've recently had an influx of people who can't afford to buy in San
Francisco. They come here not being familiar with the area, and buy in
whatever development they spot close to the freeway. They saw some very nice
homes, an artificial lake, reasonable prices (i.e., $300,000), and made an
offer immediately. Now they've tried to sue to close down the airport.

Same thing, the judge ruled that it was their own stupidity. If they'd stuck
around a bit, they would have known jets fly over at low altitude. If they'd
picked up a road map, they would have seen the airport was right there.
Certainly, if they'd been locals, they would have known where the airport was.
And believe me, there is no question that the airport was there first.

Old February 14th 04, 01:56 AM
Lucille

We have the same problem in a town near me. People moved close to an
existing airport and now are constantly moaning and groaning about the
noise. They too took it to court, but since the airport was there first
they lost the case. However that doesn't prevent them from complaining.

Lucille

Old February 14th 04, 02:34 AM
Caryn

" Same thing, the judge ruled that it was their own stupidity. If they'd
stuck
around a bit, they would have known jets fly over at low altitude. If

they'd
picked up a road map, they would have seen the airport was right there.

It's all well and good to make fun of people who do something stupid like sue
over a pre-existing airport, but I don't think you are being entirely fair
either.

Not everyone has the opportunity to stake out a property they are interested in
and wait to see if planes ever fly over.

Depending on the weather, we are on the glide path to Dulles here. It's not a
daily thing, sometimes they don't even come over for over a week, while other
times they come several days in a row. They really don't bother us, as we are
still a good 20 miles from the airport, but now and then the house does shake a
bit.

Yes, we looked at a map to know where the airport was, because DH's office is
actually right by Dulles, so we needed to see what his commute would be like.
But given the 20 mile distance, it really never occurred to us that we'd have
the house shaking from particularly low approaches.

Yes, suing to close an airport that was there when you moved in is the height
of arrogance and stupidity, but you can't expect people moving into an area to
be aware of all the potential flight paths and other things known by the
locals.

However.....

Laughing at them from the smug position of knowing things they couldn't have
known seems most unkind. I'm guessing nobody took the time to go over while
they were house hunting and give them the pros and cons of the neighborhood.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old February 14th 04, 03:15 AM
Lucille

Caryn, I wasn't making fun of those people for moving near the airport. I
was simply stating that the airport was there before they were and it was
very unlikely that the courts would be on their side so I think most people
would realize that paying a lawyer to plead their case wasn't going to work
for them. And it cost a bundle as well. Just FYI the airport I'm talking
about in Stuart, FL is not a major one and the planes that fly there are
mostly private planes, so I don't think there are any big jets. The people
that moved nearby in the last few years have been very militant and very
noisy about the inconvenience.

I lived for 30 + years on a summer flight path near Kennedy Airport in New
York. My house shook and my dog cowered in the bathtub every time an SST
took off. Some of the planes flew so low that we were able to clearly see
the passengers so I know what it feels like to have a jumbo jet go over your
house. Of course much to our annoyance the flight path was in the other
direction in the winter when the windows were closed. and the sound wouldn't
be nearly as annoying LOL

It never occurred to us to sue the airport. Something told us it would be a
futile effort since they really were bigger, richer and more influential
than we were.

Lucille

Old February 14th 04, 05:16 AM
Karen C - California

In article , wd
(Caryn) writes:

Laughing at them from the smug position of knowing things they couldn't have
known seems most unkind.

In this case, the airport is barely 2 miles from where they bought the houses,
and it's actually the standard flight path. As I said, if they'd bothered to
even look at a road map, they would have seen how close they were to the
airport, and could have asked about it, but many of the buyers were concerned
about only one thing: proximity to the freeway.

It's not something they *couldn't* have known. The least little bit of
investigating the area they were planning to call home would have shown them
that the north end of Natomas adjoins the south end of the airport. Nothing
secret, but if you care that little about where you live that you don't even
bother to consult a map to find out if you're near an airport, train track,
outdoor concert venue......

Personally, I wonder how they could not have known. They came to see the
house; theoretically, they filled out the paperwork at an on-site sales office.
Unless they're speed-readers and speed-negotiators, at least one plane had to
come through in that time period.

Then again, I grew up in the JFK flight path -- not nearly as close as Lucille
-- and worked in the Lindbergh Field flight path (as in the jets appeared to be
heading straight for the lunch room where we were sitting), about a mile from
the runway, so I don't even hear the planes any more; they're just part of the
background noise. I also spent most of my life living a few blocks from
railroad tracks, and don't hear the trains any more, either.

Old February 14th 04, 01:03 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/13/04 9:34 PM, in article ,
"Caryn" wrote:

[...]

Locally (certainly in NH and MA), the real estate agent is supposed to tell
you about such things (airports, army training sites, the cattle that feed
in that field across the way every spring, seasonal wetlands). These are
know as disclosure laws. I suspect not all states have them.

Do please forgive me for laughing at the "city folk" that had no idea that
even the cleanest piggery stinks.

Cheryl

Old February 14th 04, 02:57 PM
Caryn

Do please forgive me for laughing at the "city folk" that had no idea that
even the cleanest piggery stinks.

Ya gotta just pity them, you know? And I do see the humor there.

When we moved into that farmhouse in the cornfield, we saw the dairy pasture
was very close by. Also figured out that usually we'd be downwind of it, and
lets face it cow manure smells a lot better than pigs and poultry poo does, and
decided we could cope with it.

What we were unprepared for was the spreading of manure mixed with some other
fertilizer, thus making the smell almost unbearable, right outside our windows.
We learned quick to close the windows when we saw that tractor heading out!
We never even considered complaining, we were paying for the house and the yard
around it, what went on in the fields beyond the yard was outside of our
control.

House hunting for us the last two times was accomplished in 1 or 2 days, we
were living in different states from where the new houses would be, and it is
actually very difficult to find out everything about a neighborhood by merely
looking at a map.

Saying that "all they needed to do was look at a map" "or all they cared about
was the proximity of the highway" is what I am objecting to. Maps alone
definately don't tell you what the living situations are like.

I lived closer to Islip's MacArthur airport than I do to Dulles, but was never
on the flight path. They don't publish flight paths on road maps.