Message for animaux

Old February 12th 04, 03:09 AM
MelissaD

My youngest sister attended Humboldt State in Arcata and while she loved the
town she said it was not a good place to make a living. A lot of the
part-time minimum wage jobs were taken up by college students and there
wasn't much else to go around for those who lived there year-round.
My parents basically had to pay all her expenses because the economy
couldn't support the locals as well as all the college students looking for
jobs.

I have relatives inland from there near Yreka (in Etna and Fort Jones) and
it's a very beautful remote mountain area - gorgeous! However, my aunt and
uncle recently moved from there to southern Oregon because there was no way
for them them even try and work part-time for a little extra money and no
services other than gas, food and video - you're talking a 45 minute drive
up and over the mountains to get to even a doctor's appt. While 45 minutes
isn't that long it would be in an emergency.

My DH and I both have family in the Mt. Shasta, McCloud, Dunsmuir, Weed area
as well - I've spent my life visiting there and would love to live at the
foot of Mt. Shasta or on the river....again, no work - it's either seasonal
like ski patrol, firefighting or maybe if you're lucky you work for a lumber
company...half of the town is on welfare and the closest "big city" of
Redding is a good hour away in good weather.

Beautiful areas and I'd love to live there but at this point I'm expecting
it will be where I live after I retire....

MelissaD
"Alison" wrote in message
I visited some friends in northern (way northern) California last
summer. They live in Humboldt County (about 100 miles from the Oregon
border) in a tiny town called Rio Vista. Eureka is the big city
(3,000?) and Arcata is the college town. The next biggest city is
either Portland or the SF Bay area. We had to fly to Oakland, then
rent a car and drive 5 hours. We looked into trains but one would
have to first get from the airport to downtown Oakland, then take a
train to Martinez, then an Amtrak BUS to Eureka. It's one of those
towns that is hard to get to. (There is a tiny airport but it was
more expensive to fly from Oakland to Eureka than it was to fly from
New York to Oakland. Cheaper (and more useful) to rent a car.)
Anyway - this is the kind of area where there aren't many jobs. And
you can't really drive to a big city to get one either. If you're
lucky you can work at the college in Arcata, or retail. I'd love to
live there but I have to win the lotto first.

Alison
PS there is a Michaels and a Borders though and several good quilting
shops

Old February 13th 04, 02:49 AM
Paula Hubert-Vooght

That said, there are a great many others I would never consider giving
a stitched gift to!
Darla

Ain't that the truth! LOL Fortunately, I've had more positive experiences
than negative.. the friends who cried when they opened their wedding gift
(MLI's The Wedding) and have it as the ONLY picture on the wall 6 months after
moving into their new house... my DS and DBIL who reacted similarly to
everything I've done for them (DS stitches, so that's not a shock! LOL).. my
parents who not only appreciate my work, but were the ones who taught me not
only to appreciate the value of a hand-made gift, but also to write proper
thank you's LOL.

But then there is the co-worker who I did a Stoney Creek Sampler for because
she loved it when she saw the book out (I was doing a peice for another
co-worker), and always admired my stitching and did lots of different types of
handwork herself. I never received a thank you, or saw the peice displayed in
her home. (And it was a perfect match for her decor.) Since the marriage has
now ended, I guess it's a bit of a non-issue, but then again, she also wondered
why she didn't get a hand-made afghan for her daughter when she was born
shrug. I've gotten over it.. but it was upsetting at the time.

Paula H
Old February 13th 04, 12:43 PM
Judith Truly

Let's face it- eastern rural and western rural are two different things but
they are still rural- and I notice no one has mentioned Appalachia.
"Karen C - California" wrote in message
OK, now, see, we're defining "rural" in different ways.

Akron is (according to my 2002 almanac) the 81st largest city in the US,

with a
population of 217,000 in city limits and over half a million in the

county.
That's not "rural". It's not megalopolis, but it is "urban".

As has also been pointed out, small towns within an hour's drive of big

cities
are no longer affordable, because those who work in the nearby city are

driving
up housing costs. E.g., the average price of a starter home in San

Francisco
proper is over half-a-mill. The average price of a starter home in Tracy

was
(at the start of the current boom) about $100,000. The locals are now

being
priced out because SF wages have allowed the newcomers to bid up the price

of
houses to levels that the locals can't afford on small town wages.

$300,000 is
reasonable to the SF-ans, and wholly ridiculous to the Tracyites. (Heck,

the
SF-ans have started buying houses in Roseville, which is almost *three*

hours
out of downtown SF.)

Like Dianne, I'm defining "rural" as "rural". Farm town economy.
Way-out-in-the-boonies vacation spot economy. Middle of the Nevada desert

200
miles from the nearest shopping mall. Praise the Lord if you've even got

job, and praise Him doubly if it pays a dime above minimum wage.

One of my good friends lives in a town of 356 people. More cows than

humans.
She had to drive an hour to get a full-time office job in the nearest

(ahem)
"city", population 10,000. It's two hours to the nearest thing I'd call a
"city". That's what Dianne and I are referring to as "rural area".

I mean, if you want to stretch a point, five minutes from downtown

Sacramento,
within city limits, we still have a substantial amount of farmland. If

that's
your definition, then the 3d largest city in California is "rural". But

any of
those farm wives can be at a high-paying city job with a commute not long
enough to dry their mascara.

I'm referring to places like Markleeville (population of entire county

1208),
Alturas (population of entire county 9500), Yreka (population of entire

county
44,000), where a round-trip commute to the nearest city with decent-paying

jobs
would take more time than the 8 hours you'd put in on the job. (Y'all

google
those places, and see what I mean.) They're a hundred miles *beyond* The

Far
Side of Nowhere.

Some parts of rural Northern California, during snow season, are cut off

from
civilization for days at a time -- if you had a job in Sacramento, you'd

either
have to use all your vacation days in January, or spend big bucks to stay

in a
motel this side of the road closure, which defeats the cost-saving purpose

of
living in Upper Backwater.

One of my former co-workers had in-laws in Quincy (population of entirety

of
Plumas County 20,000; population of town of Quincy a whopping 4500), and
reported that 90% of the town was on welfare, because there were no jobs.
Sure, the lucky ones might get hired as fire spotters during summer, or at

the
ski bowl during winter, but even they're off work and collecting welfare

spring
and fall. The junkheaps they call cars couldn't handle 100 miles a day to

job up the mountain in Susanville (population 14,000), and there are no

buses
(there may be Paratransit for the elderly and disabled, but that doesn't

help
poor working folks). You can't start a business, because you don't have

the
capital to buy the initial stock, and your neighbors don't have the money

buy what you're selling. It's places like that that fit the operative
definition of "rural".

You "could" live in Quincy on two people's minimum wage of $22,000 a year.

The
question is, where are you going to *get* that $22,000? There ain't no

jobs to
earn it at. You're 75 miles out of the nearest large town/small city,

Chico
(population 60,000). Who's a Chico employer going to hire, a college

student
who lives in town, or a semi-literate hayseed who may not make it to work
whenever it snows? For argument's sake, the manager of the Chico McD's

prefers
someone who's not going to quit when they graduate, and goes with the

Quincy
resident. Lessee, 75 miles each way, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, gas

@ 10c
per mile, that's roughly $4000 of your $11,000 minimum wage going to

commuting
costs alone. And that's just gas -- not new tires, not wear and tear, not

any
of the other costs of driving a car 40,000 miles a year.

That's the reality of rural living, not "Oh, I used to live in a place

that had
bus service and low unemployment." (per same almanac, 5.6% unemployment,

per
capita income $24,579). i.e., housing prices would be appropriate to the

local
average of two wage-earners with income of $49,000 a year; double the

budget of
our two people earning $22,000 between them.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Holiday
Snowglobe

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Old February 13th 04, 12:56 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Interesting phenomena happening in some of the "eastern rural areas.

People are moving further from the city and then complaining about the
neighboring animals.

The smells from the piggeries, the rooster crowing, the odor from the spring
and fall manure spread, dogs barking, sheep baaing, cows lowing, even the
sound of the loons.

I suspect you can figure out who I think are the loons in the case.

Cheryl

On 2/13/04 7:43 AM, in article
t, "Judith Truly"

Old February 13th 04, 05:30 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

Interesting phenomena happening in some of the "eastern rural areas.

People are moving further from the city and then complaining about the
neighboring animals.

Happening in the west, too. "We paid a million dollars for this mansion, and
now we find that the neighbor applies fertilizer to his crops."

As I said earlier, any farmland within 50 miles of a California city is now
being sold to developers, not to someone interested in farming, so we have a
lot of new luxury houses being built right next to a working farm. You got to
wonder how bright these executives are that they have no clue that a farm is a
noisy, smelly place before they move in next door.

Old February 13th 04, 05:40 PM
Freya

Brenda Lewis wrote:

Another question: Why do we think it is dreadful that children do not
send thank you notes for gifts we give to them when most adults do not
send a thank you note when they receive a gift from a child?

Agreed! Most of my friends' kids are quite little - too little to
know what giving gifts really means, but last Christmas one of the
slightly older ones (she's five) helped her mother make some sweets to
give to me. I had dinner with her mother, and, afterwards, sent the
little girl a postcard, which her mother said she absolutely loved, at
least partly because of the novelty of getting something in the post
with her own name on it. I have resolved to do that with all the
others as they grow up, to get them into good habits! It still amazes
me the number of people who don't even acknowledge gifts sent to their
kids, let alone say thanks for them (I'm not talking about the kids
themselves here - what hope do they have?). I used to post a lot of
stuff overseas and now with the internet I order stuff in other
countries to be delivered locally and I would really like to know that
the things I ordered actually arrived safely. I have no objections to
an e-mail - "Your present arrived - thanks" is all I'm asking for, but
even that seems to be too much.
Old February 14th 04, 01:04 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/13/04 12:30 PM, in article
, "Karen C - California"
wrote:

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

Interesting phenomena happening in some of the "eastern rural areas.

People are moving further from the city and then complaining about the
neighboring animals.

Happening in the west, too. "We paid a million dollars for this mansion, and
now we find that the neighbor applies fertilizer to his crops."

As I said earlier, any farmland within 50 miles of a California city is now
being sold to developers, not to someone interested in farming, so we have a
lot of new luxury houses being built right next to a working farm. You got to
wonder how bright these executives are that they have no clue that a farm is a
noisy, smelly place before they move in next door.

I have to admit that I was laughing myself silly (tears rolling down my
cheeks, so hard it hurt) reading about these people from the inner 'burbs
(never seen a cow types, as a friend calls them), moving next door to a
piggery. Seems their company relocated to western Massachusetts for a "tax
break" and a bunch of them had homes built about 5 miles away and never went
out to see the area. East of the piggery, north of the egg farm - they get
the best of all the smells.

They sued (or at least tried to) to get these 200 year old farms closed. The
judge found in favor of the farmers and the real estate agent that sold the
land. Plot plans were clearly marked. 5000 square foot homes (1 million plus
dollar homes if closer to Boston) and they smell terrible 8 months out the
year.

Cheryl