Message for animaux

Old February 7th 04, 09:37 PM
Caryn

You're the one that described Akron as rural.

The post you were replying to was when I talked about living in MICHIGAN! Not
Akron.

You, in a very snobby way, declared that anything south of Gaylord, MI was not
rural.

I was describing how I felt that breathing manure fumes made that part of MI
rural, even tho it was south of Gaylord.

READ the post you are referring to, rather than remembering another part of the
thread from 4 posts ago.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old February 7th 04, 09:57 PM
Caryn

NPR for 1/2 hr, and Bill O'Reilly for 1/2 hr, and you might actually get a
balance! ROFL

Caryn

If I had to listen to Bill O'Reilly rant for 1/2 hour, I'd have to be
committed
to an institution.

Just my opinion....

My local talk radio station used to have G.Gordon Liddy on at lunchtime. Now
it's Bill O'Reilly.

I usually didn't agree with Liddy, but I respected the way he'd listen to
people with opposing opinions and have an entertaining and intelligent
discussion with them.

Bill just yells and calls anybody who disagrees stupid. Hardly intelligent
argument by any means.

I laugh every time I hear Fox News Network describe themselves as "fair and
balanced" with the likes of him on board!

Old February 7th 04, 10:58 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Have you ever listened to Jay Severin? Talk about an ego. Sometimes he seems
to be listening and discussing things rationally, others he is flat out
rude, crude and nearly obscene.
DH loves him - I can't listen to him at all. But he makes Reilly seem calm.

I miss Christopher Lydon and the original The Connection. That was balanced
commentary and discussion.

Cheryl

Any other Diane Rehm fans out there? Talk about civil discourse...this
lady is *excellent* at drawing people out, balancing views, and keeping
the conversation polite and informative. She's on NPR out of Washington,
DC, but syndicated.

sue

Old February 7th 04, 11:26 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

HearttOnMySleeve wrote:
Yes, but given what I've read of your posts on life topics in general, you
wouldn't be happy if they beat you with a new stick.

I dimiss the rantings of the bitter...

I have said nothing bitter here. My tone may be quite frustrated, at
times, because of some of the myths I read bantied about as if they were
"true". Part of that anger is because I have felt hardship in the palm
of my hand and cannot believe the bitterness and selfishness I hear in
others. And yes, you may hear some "anger" in my words as I try to
ignore nasty, personal comments that are uncalled for.

Interesting, there are some pretty knowledgeable people who have added
to my "vent" and backed it up. They are just doing it better than I am
doing it. For that, I apologize. To them, I am greatful.

By the way: bitterness is the opposite of what I feel, which is fear.

Dianne

Old February 7th 04, 11:29 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Please describe "snobby".
Dianne

Old February 8th 04, 12:43 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Dianne Lewandowski
writes:

there are some pretty knowledgeable people who have added
to my "vent" and backed it up.

And been told our idea of "rural" is imaginary, out of Little House on the
Prairie.

I'd like to know whether the people who think we're making this up have ever
travelled west of the Mississippi, or if they "know" what the whole world looks
like because they've seen the Eastern Seaboard.

I've been through more than half the 50 states. I know what I'm describing,
from personally seeing it. I have the statistics to back up what I'm
describing. What are the credentials of those who think I'm living in
Fantasyland?

Joan lives in one of the truly rural states I'm describing. Maybe you'll
believe her when she tells you how far it is between one mall and the next once
you get into the West.

Or maybe you'll take me up on my suggestion that you take Amtrak and see for
yourself what distances are involved, and how little there is between one major
city and the next major city, once you get this side of the Mississippi.

I've spent half my life on this side of the Mississippi. I've driven through
the California/Arizona desert. I've driven through much of Northern
California. I've lost track of how many times we made the trek between
Southern California and Northern California, through the hours and hours of
farmland in the middle. I've spent days on a train watching the West go by.
I've repeatedly flown over the west at night to see how few lights are outside
city limits.

If your concept of what's west of the Mississippi is entirely from TV and
movies, there's a lot you've missed. They don't show you the endless miles of
barren wasteland. Sure, you've seen the movie stars play in Palm Springs, but
what do you know about Banning? It's just a few miles up the road from Palm
Springs. Boron? Indio? Coachella? I've been to all of them. How much time
have you spent in El Centro? Seen the desert in bloom?

Do you have any clue what's along the freeway between LA and Vegas? Or do you
just imagine that with a big city on one end and a big city on the other end,
it's endless metropolis like the East Coast?

After you've been to Boron and Likely and Hoopa, you let me know if you still
question my concept of what the rural west is like in the 21st century.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old February 8th 04, 01:17 AM
Caryn

I have said nothing bitter here. My tone may be quite frustrated, at
times, because of some of the myths I read bantied about as if they were

This from a woman who gets "facts" from a fictional TV show?

Old February 8th 04, 01:29 AM
Caryn

I'd like to know whether the people who think we're making this up have ever
travelled west of the Mississippi, or if they "know" what the whole world
looks
like because they've seen the Eastern Seaboard.

We didn't say that, we said you were using the most obscure, narrow definition
of rural that we had ever heard.

Empty and desolate don't equal rural. Enough with stating that the only
"rural" areas are in places like Arizona and the California desert.

That is our objection, your absolute refusal to widen your definition of rural
to one that most people would agree with.

Dianne's statement that nothing south of a certain city in MI counted as rural
MI. Your continuing assertions that only wide open areas of ZERO development
(even farmland) count as "rural."

Here is the Merriam-Webster definition of rural:

Main Entry: ru·ral
Pronunciation: 'rur-&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin ruralis, from rur-,
rus open land —more at ROOM
Date: 15th century
: of or relating to the country, country people or life, or agriculture
- ru·ral·i·ty /ru-'ra-l&-tE/ noun
- ru·ral·ly /'rur-&-lE/ adverb

Look at that....country...agriculture...even the word people!!

I don't see anything that limits "rural" to your definition of:

"I'm defining "rural" as "rural". Farm town economy. Way-out-in-the-boonies
vacation spot economy. Middle of the Nevada desert 200 miles from the nearest
shopping mall."

There are a lot of people who live in areas they consider rural who can
actually get to a shopping mall. Your definition is absurdly narrow, and
demeaning to all the fine country people who farm in area within 100 miles of a
city.

Old February 8th 04, 01:33 AM
Caryn

Please describe "snobby"

I'll let Webster's do it for me:

Snob: a : one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior
b : one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or
taste

You don't know everything, no one does, but YOU insist YOU do. You talk down
to everybody, insisting that your point of view is the only valid one. And
should anybody, and I do mean anybody, say something that contradicts you, you
only get more condescending!

That, in my mind at least, counts as being snobby!