Brass patina wanted

Old December 4th 04, 06:27 PM
Bill Cademy

Default Brass patina wanted

I am doing some work with brass came, and would like to be able to apply
a patina to my solder joints. I have looked around town, but both sg
supply stores here don't carry any such patina. I was informed that
there used to be such a patina available but it hasn't been seen in some
time.

Does anyone know where I could find such a patina? Alternatively, does
anyone know how to formulate one? I would really rather use a patina
than a paint pen, but will if I absolutely have no other alternative.

Old December 4th 04, 08:00 PM
Javahut

"Bill Cademy" wrote in message
I am doing some work with brass came, and would like to be able to apply
a patina to my solder joints. I have looked around town, but both sg
supply stores here don't carry any such patina. I was informed that
there used to be such a patina available but it hasn't been seen in some
time.

Does anyone know where I could find such a patina? Alternatively, does
anyone know how to formulate one? I would really rather use a patina
than a paint pen, but will if I absolutely have no other alternative.

You have absolutely no other alternative.

The "brass " patina that was available was nothing more than weak copper,
and it barely turned anything any color except copper color. You are better
off to paint the joints and keep you solder joints small.

Old December 21st 04, 03:12 AM
harmil2

There is an antique brass patina made in Canada. I had searched for years
after doling out my final 2 oz of "private reserve" of patina. I had been
told that is was no longer made -- I guess in the US -- but I saw an ad in
Glass Quarterly and called P. Kay Metal Canada in Montreal. It is called
"Classique". After ordering 5 bottles I found it at Cline's in Portland,
Oregon -- the same folks who had told me that it was no longer available ...
go figure. It is antique and would not look good with brass came but it
gives a nice warm pale yellow look to solder. I made a bunch of beveled
snowflakes for my daughter', business displayand used this patina because
she wanted the "gold" look instead of silver. It looks quite nice.

Jan

Failed copper patina on stained glass Adrian Glass 7 May 3rd 10 11:54 PM
Brass or Bronze? Liam Glass 2 August 20th 07 03:05 AM
wanted: glass blowing torch Lloyd Glass 2 November 10th 04 03:30 AM
Glassmaking Primer or Tutorial Wanted jm Glass 8 January 1st 04 10:45 PM
Use of Brass Coated Lead Came Gloria Glass 3 August 19th 03 05:26 AM