Results of my labours

Old October 10th 10, 09:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default Results of my labours

Well. I tried this MQ malarkey. And by and large I like the results.

I gave the cushion to my brother, who refused it with contumely. So
it has now gone to a more deserving home as a wedding gift to my
hairdresser, who loves it.

The Japanesy window quilt has gone to Canada to be with my DH's aunt,
who has the big C. I hope it cheers her. She can either snuggle with
it or hang it up. (Or chuck it out, it's hers to do as she wishes)

Not much evidence of MQ in the latter quilt, but I stitched in the
ditch all round, and learned a great deal about the method and how it
works. The cushion is a commercial stencil. I had intended it as a
HQ project. But the silk was a pig to sew, with far too close a
weave. Lessons learned on that too.

The label is only about 2"x1" and tucked under the sleeve. I don't
know whether it will be my final way of doing things, but I couldn't
'sign' this one because of the colourful fabrics. however, it is well
hidden under the sleeve and shouldn't get in the way of it being
reversible, if required.

Thanks to all those suggestions and offered help during my learning
curve. They were all gratefully received.

Nel
(GQ)and now a MQ (Machine quilter)!
Old October 10th 10, 09:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Oops! Silly me, I forgot the link to photies:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f.../MQ%20Cushion/
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...oyces%20Quilt/

Nel
Old October 10th 10, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 10/10/2010 09:31, Sartorresartus wrote:
Oops! Silly me, I forgot the link to photies:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f.../MQ%20Cushion/
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...oyces%20Quilt/

Nel

I knew that quilt would turn out beautiful. I love it - but you know
how I loved it when you got the kit! It was hard choosing just the one!

And the cushion is beautiful. My opinion of your brother is well
documented. The offer of a share in mine to replace him stands.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 10th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Thanks for the view! The cushion is lovely (and your brother was
foolish IMO). I love the bird fabric in your aunt's quilt -what a good
way to use it!
Roberta in D

Old October 10th 10, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well, Nel. You got me on that one. I read several ways; I can speed-read,
proof-read . . . usually I don't even notice typos so long as the meaning
flows. 'Refused with contumely'? That gave me pause. Had to go look up
contumely. Rudeness or contempt? Indeed!
There's just always a job opening here for a Census Officer for the
Wildlife. Shall I send him an application to come count the gators? Polly

Old October 10th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

So lovely! You can let your brother know that you have many people who would love to give that cushion a home
- me included!

And the quilt for your aunt is wonderful - I love the pattern and fabrics. I do hope it brings her some comfort.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old October 10th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 10/10/10 11:33, Kate XXXXXX wrote:
On 10/10/2010 09:31, Sartorresartus wrote:
Oops! Silly me, I forgot the link to photies:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f.../MQ%20Cushion/
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...oyces%20Quilt/

Nel

I knew that quilt would turn out beautiful. I love it - but you know how
I loved it when you got the kit! It was hard choosing just the one!

And the cushion is beautiful. My opinion of your brother is well
documented. The offer of a share in mine to replace him stands.

They are both lovely pieces of work - I would have given either a place
in my home. I'm sure the quilt will bring your aunt comfort as she
looks at it and knows that you think of her from so far away.

As for brothers - well, siblings cannot be chosen and we often know them
too well and remember too much.

Lizzy
Old October 10th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 10/10/2010 4:29 AM, Sartorresartus wrote:
[...]

I had to look up contumely....and hope that I remember the word for when
I'm dealing with someone inconsiderate. Your cushion is great and
deserves a home where it is appreciated.

Your window quilt is lovely too and your "tag" idea for the label is
very clever.

Congratulations!
Allison
Old October 10th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Nel, both pieces are gorgeous. I love the window quilt -- what a
perfect way to use the large-scale Japanese print. The pillow is just
perfect. Your brother? Not perfect. I think we can just toss him into
the pile of rotten siblings. Mine will be there to soften his landing.

Sunny
You can send that pillow to me if you have no place else for it
Old October 10th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

There's just always a job opening here for a Census Officer for the
Wildlife. Shall I send him an application to come count the gators?
Polly

That would do nicely. It is his (and our) 30th Wedding Anniversary
this year and he came up to visit my Mum. I left the cushion for him
with the injunction that if he didn't want it/couldn't accept it, then
say so and that would be that. (LOOOOng story)

He said he _would_ accept it, to my Mum, and she was delighted.
Thought there was 'progress' etc.

But no. He had stuffed it deliberately down behind the back of a
chair so that it wouldn't be discovered until a long time later.
There is no way it was done by accident, or that he just 'forgot' it.
Mum wanted to know how it went down with his family. She liked it,
and would have had it herself. So, she wouldn't let the subject lay,
until he 'fessed up to not having it.

I thought I had starched my lip sufficiently to cope with any rebuff,
but that took the biscuit. Rude, insensitive and cowardly.

And if he googles my name and this public forum comes to his notice, I
hope he reads that, because I think it was about the nastiest thing he
could have done to me. But maybe he has other plans.

I shan't try again. But then I said that last ltime, and the time
before, and the time before that. I never learn.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

the results Estelle Gallagher Quilting 0 January 14th 09 03:44 PM
the results Susan Torrens Quilting 0 January 13th 09 08:52 PM
the results Laurie G. in CA Quilting 0 January 13th 09 06:30 PM
the results ME-Judy[_6_] Quilting 0 January 13th 09 06:05 PM
The results are in Michelle in Gander Quilting 5 April 28th 04 05:25 PM