Boneheadedness

Old June 3rd 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Default Boneheadedness

Okay...so am I the only one who makes at least one boneheaded mistake
per quilt? These aren't the "can't spot 'em from a moving car
kind," (I do those, too) but the kind that end up making a whole lot
more work and taking a whole lot more time... Y'know, like cutting a
mess of binding fabric just a little too narrow--because I used the
ruler from the wrong side. Or setting aside the perfect fabric for the
binding, of which there was just enough, and for which I would have no
other earthly use--and absolutely not being able to find it, even with
DH's help. So that's two out of two I'm finishing now.

Argh.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old June 3rd 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On Jun 2, 10:37*pm, "heidi (was rabbit2b)" wrote:
Okay...so am I the only one who makes at least one boneheaded mistake
per quilt? These aren't the "can't spot 'em from a moving car

[snip]

I don't know if I do them on every quilt, but I do them quite often!
Sometimes I think it is the excitement that gets me going too fast...I
think, "Meh, I've done this a hundred times, I don't need to look at
the pattern, or check that for a twist, or whatever!" I have learned
to just laugh at myself, set it aside and tackle it later.

Good luck, and know that you aren't alone!

Dannielle

Old June 3rd 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I deny that it is boneheadedness; it's just quilting. Just now I carefully
arranged 64 leaves on a vine. Madness can't be methodical, it had to be
really crazy. I glue-sticked the first half of the leaves and cleverly
shifted the quilt top so the glue wouldn't become too fond of the table
beneath - being very careful, you know?
Answered the phone, answered the door, went out to see the bird's nest
and 4 eggs in the cup holder of my golf cart. Told DD that she could not
make paste of flour and water to put up wall paper - Bug Heaven I think.
Showed neighbor how to blind stitch. Explained to Yogi that he would have
to forego his evening cart ride for a couple of weeks because of Mama Bird's
choice.
Then. I put the quilt top on the design wall to be sure that there was
no repetition to the leaf arrangement. 32 leaves fell to the floor.
Boneheaded? Naah. Just quilting. Polly

Old June 3rd 09, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Being freshly done picking out 3/4 of the quilting on a bed sized quilt
because of numerous pleats/folds on the back, I can't think of a better word
than boneheadedness to describe the pain.

Trixie

Old June 3rd 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Boneheadedness, repeated post

I sent this but it is not appearing here. ???? Maybe I sent it to the zip
code directory. Polly

Old June 3rd 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Or my favorite, cutting single sided fabric like it is double sided.
Which is why I have sworn off single sided fabric, repeatedly.
Nothing quite like cutting half your pieces backwards.
It always makes me feel really dumb.

NightMist

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:46:26 -0400, Megan Zurawicz
wrote:

Or piecing errors you *shoulda* seen while putting it all together....but
only find when you've quilted right up to that bit.....

--pig

On 6/2/09 22:37, in article
, "heidi

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old June 3rd 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On Jun 3, 12:22*am, (NightMist) wrote:
Or my favorite, cutting single sided fabric like it is double sided.
Which is why I have sworn off *single sided fabric, repeatedly.
Nothing quite like cutting half your pieces backwards.
It always makes me feel really dumb.

NightMist

I did that on an applique recently. Had to go buy more fabric,
couldn't get a match so had to change it up a bit, and decided since I
had one (very large) piece that was backwards, I would go ahead and
make a second one in mirror image to the first. Pretty quick
thinking, eh? (It only took me about a week to figure it out. Glad I
didn't throw the mistake away!)

Dannielle

Old June 3rd 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
"heidi (was rabbit2b)" wrote:

Okay...so am I the only one who makes at least one boneheaded mistake
per quilt? These aren't the "can't spot 'em from a moving car
kind," (I do those, too) but the kind that end up making a whole lot
more work and taking a whole lot more time... Y'know, like cutting a
mess of binding fabric just a little too narrow--because I used the
ruler from the wrong side. Or setting aside the perfect fabric for the
binding, of which there was just enough, and for which I would have no
other earthly use--and absolutely not being able to find it, even with
DH's help. So that's two out of two I'm finishing now.

Argh.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Nope, you're not the only one. sigh

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old June 3rd 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Jun 2, 10:37*pm, "heidi (was rabbit2b)" wrote:
Okay...so am I the only one who makes at least one boneheaded mistake
per quilt? These aren't the "can't spot 'em from a moving car
kind," (I do those, too) but the kind that end up making a whole lot
more work and taking a whole lot more time... Y'know, like cutting a
mess of binding fabric just a little too narrow--because I used the
ruler from the wrong side. Or setting aside the perfect fabric for the
binding, of which there was just enough, and for which I would have no
other earthly use--and absolutely not being able to find it, even with
DH's help. So that's two out of two I'm finishing now.

Argh.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

I don't thnk it's just quilting; it may be "projects" or life in
general.
I'd like to suggest that better planning and organization may help,
(it often does for me, or so it seems) but then again it may not...
I'm one who tries to take the positive view and learn from mistakes,
so it's repeating a mistake that really bugs me.

"Life is just one damned thing after another." - Elbert Hubbard

Doc