2009 - A Year of Transition

Old May 6th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default 2009 - A Year of Transition

On Tue, 5 May 2009 16:17:06 -0500, Dannielle wrote
(in article
):

No, I didn't mark it off topic, 'cause it isn't!

I have been a long time piecer. Not much of a finisher, of most
things. However, for some reason, this year is starting out to be a
bit different than most. Maybe because of the past six or seven
months that have been really rotten for me (is has gotten much better
the past couple of months though). Maybe I've hit an age where I see
things a bit differently, maybe it's because I'm about to (finally)
get my college degree and am scared to death of what comes next. Who
knows!

This year, I am finishing things.

I have finished two baby panel quilts that I have had for about 5
years, and I have a third one that is just waiting for its binding, I
just can't decide which fabric will be the lucky winner. All three,
plus one that has been finished for awhile, will be sold.

I have a Turning Twenty quilt waiting to be layered and basted, but
all of my basting pins are in another quilt at the moment. Don't care
much for this one, so it'll be sold.

The pins? Oh they are in the first big quilt top I ever pieced! It's
a twin size ribbon block in some Robyn Pandolph fabrics that I love.
I made it when my DD was just a babe, and she's heading off to
Kindergarten this fall! I have chosen to hand quilt this one, so
it'll be traveling with me to my mother's this summer. I hope to have
it finished before DD graduates from college! Who's it for? ME!

I have finally put all the blocks together from the Black, White and
Red All Over block swap that happened in 2006. I had a problem with
one of the blocks and it took me a while to figure out how to fix it.
I just put the first border on today, now I need to measure and see
how much more border is necessary. This one belongs to my DS.

I have a rainbow log cabin for a new baby that is waiting patiently
for backing, basting and quilting. Again, it's going to my mother's
with me. The baby shouldn't be along until later this summer. I
loved the block so much, that I have another 48 in progress. (That
one hasn't said anything about an owner yet. I'll have to wait and
see.)

I have a batik butterfly star quilt that I have managed to get all the
blocks assembled and am in the border stage with it as well. Not sure
about the owner of this one yet either. Might be DD's.

I have a blue and white Irish chain quilt that is still glaring at
me. It's gonna wait awhile longer, but I'll get to it soon enough. I
just want to finish up the ones above first. It was supposed to be a
wedding gift. I think they've been married about three years now.
Oops. Maybe it'll find a new home, but it's supposed to be a queen
sized quilt!

And when I feel like banging my head against the wall, I have my Light
From Within quilt to work on. It would be great it I could actually
get those squares the right size. I am unsewing more than sewing on
this one!

I have two quilt tops that are being hand pieced. One is a foundation
pieced block from Carol Doak. It looks very Christmasy, and I have
all the blocks done, I am now working on sashing.

The other hand pieced project is One Thousand Pyramids. It's a
perpetual project and I don't expect to finish it this year, or next,
or the next after that....It keeps me busy when I am waiting for
appointments and such. Or just want easy work whilst watching the
television.

I have a few stitched pieces around that I grab from time to time when
I don't want to quilt, but still need to keep my hands busy. One is
the Christmas House, and I'm itching to finish that one, hopefully in
time to put in the fair this fall. If not, there's always next year,
right?

My biggest accomplishment this year will be my bachelor's degree. I
have been in school for much longer than I care to admit. Many
mistakes have been made, many I will be paying for for the rest of my
life. But I will have my degree, there will be no reason for my
children to not make something of themselves...'cause if their dumb
mom can do it, so can they!

What's on your list?

Dannielle

I have so many projects half done that I can't count them all. In the near
term I've a skirt to finish hemming and blouse to make. Then some baby
blankets and 2 baby quilts.

Also would like to finish hand quilting my teapots quilt. Beyond that, who
knows? I just keep taking stuff out of the pile in my WIP laundry basket and
hope for the best.

Maureen

Old May 6th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

You're an inspiration!
I have a 1000 Pyramids going too, hand project for the very same
reasons :-) Pretty much caught up on quilting tops, but there are
always more coming along. Nearly done with the BOM from the Nancy
Rinks website http://www.nancyrinkdesigns.com/free.html (thanks to the
person who sent that link) -it just needs a border, and I don't like
the one in the photo.
And there's a split 9-patch ongoing, my leaders and enders project du
jour.
Apart from that, I'm knitting a lot.
Roberta in D

On Tue, 5 May 2009 14:17:06 -0700 (PDT), Dannielle
wrote:

[...]

From Within quilt to work on. It would be great it I could actually

Old May 6th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Dannielle, I'm going to copy what every body else is saying and tell
you that the quilts are beautiful and you are inspirational and
amazing. And then I'm going to tell you that you are far from dumb.
You are one smart cookie, clearly. And as for your kids -- well,
they're just going to do what they do and who knows what road is the
best one for them. Sometimes life requires a different kind of
education before we get to go to school.

Good work!
Sunny
Old May 6th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Dannielle wrote:
[...]

From Within quilt to work on. It would be great it I could actually
[...]

Wow Danielle! What a list! And many, many congrats on finishing your
bachelor's degree. It took me 10 years to get mine AFTER I finished my
associate's, so I know what a long process it can't be. Makes you feel
good, doesn't it? :-)

Let's see as for my 2009 quilting related list....

I finished a summer weight king-sized, Starry Night on the Oregon Trail,
which is now on the bed, and just in the nick of time since summer has
arrived in southern NV. It's supposed to be 95 today.

I'm about to finish the hand-pieced blocks (yes, I usually have one
hand-piecing project going too) to Scrappy Star. I'm on the 3rd to the
last one of 53 blocks. The blocks were cut out over 10 years ago, and
endured two moves in the meantime. I'm estatic that I'll soon be
piecing them together--which I will probably do on the sewing machine.
There is a *chance* this quilt will be finished in 2009.

I have my black, white, and red quilt top pieced. In fact, it's been
pieced since soon after the swap. Unfortunately, it's been in my closet
ever since. Part of the issue is that I was undecided about how to
quilt it. Now that I've had a taste of free motion, it might prove to
be my first free motion project. (One of those tops needs to volunteer,
doesn't it?) The other thing is that this quilt really doesn't have a
home. I love it, but it matches nothing I have. Still it would make a
great throw, so....

I've started two quilts, one each for a married couple who are long-time
friends. They don't do any textile related stuff and were so
appreciative of a small Christmas wallhanging I made for them, that I
decided they need quilts. I'll be surprised if the quilts are completed
this year, but I do have a good start machine piecing the blocks for one
of them.

Last but not least, I'm working on a sampler from a your-pick swap. As
I've decided to do a border of 6 inch butterfly blocks for it, I will be
surprised if it is finished this year either.

Thanks for the interesting topic! I'm looking forward to reading the
other responses.

Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter
Old May 6th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Oooh what a feast for the eyes, Danielle! You've got some real beauties
in there! I was intrigued to see that you put all the signature blocks
on one end of the black, white, and red quilt. I would have never
thought of that. I put some on both ends. Sometimes I think very
symmetrically! LOL!

Your stained glass quilt is absolutely gorgeous, and the tumbling blocks
is very striking.

Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

dbeitzell wrote:
As per your request: Ok, I updated my Webshots with the pictures I
took today. You can find them at: http://community.webshots.com/user/dani41604

Maybe I should add that to my signature...if I knew how to do that!
(I'll figure it out later, I have to study now!)

Dannielle

On May 5, 6:56 pm, "Louise in Iowa" wrote:
Dannielle, I am in awe! I can't believe everything you've accomplished -
maybe not completed, but certainly you've made steps in the right direction.
You will promise to post pictures, won't you? In particular, I'm really
looking forward to the Black, White, and Red All Over block swap quilt - I
was a part of that one and can't wait to see what you've done with yours.
Mine is still sitting in my "projects to get done" stack!

Keep up the great work!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot comhttp://community.webshots.com/user/louiseiniowa

Old May 6th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Congratulations, Dannielle!

"Out of the strain of the Doing, into the peace of the Done," wrote
Julia Louise Woodruff in 1910.

Another online group has a "Fab 4" list as a motivator -- list 4 items
that you will finish, and finish them. Gloat for a while, then create
a new list.

Nann

Old May 7th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

On May 6, 4:02*pm, Nann wrote:
Congratulations, Dannielle!

"Out of the strain of the Doing, into the peace of the Done," wrote
Julia Louise Woodruff in 1910.

Another online group has a "Fab 4" list as a motivator -- list 4 items
that you will finish, and finish them. *Gloat for a while, then create
a new list.

Nann

What a great idea, Nann!!! This is going to be my goal! i have so many
WIP's and UFO's!
I think I'll group them into 4's and take it from there. Thanks!

amy in CNY (groups of 4, hmm...may take centuries.....) BEG
Old May 7th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

Would you like to join us on Get It Done In 2009?
.

Pat,

If you are talking about the Yahoo! Group, then I am already on
there. I probably need to update the database over there too, as I
haven't been over there for awhile!

Dannielle
Old May 7th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On May 6, 11:25*am, Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:
You're an inspiration!
I have a 1000 Pyramids going too, hand project for the very same
reasons :-) Pretty much caught up on quilting tops, but there are
always more coming along. Nearly done with the BOM from the Nancy
Rinks websitehttp://www.nancyrinkdesigns.com/free.html(thanks to the
person who sent that link) -it just needs a border, and I don't like
the one in the photo.
And there's a split 9-patch ongoing, my leaders and enders project du
jour.
Apart from that, I'm knitting a lot.
Roberta in D

How are you assembling your 1000 Pyramids? I've been putting mine
into larger triangles, groups of 4, and am going to wait until they
are all into that configuration before I try to assemble them
further. I have seen some who put them together in rows, but I didn't
think that was so portable for the way I work.

Love the BOM link you sent! I can't wait to see what yours looks
like!

Dannielle
Old May 7th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On May 6, 2:44*pm, onetexsun wrote:
Dannielle, I'm going to copy what every body else is saying and tell
you that the quilts are beautiful and you are inspirational and
amazing. And then I'm going to tell you that you are far from dumb.
You are one smart cookie, clearly. And as for your kids -- well,
they're just going to do what they do and who knows what road is the
best one for them. Sometimes life requires a different kind of
education before we get to go to school.

Good work!
Sunny

And out of all the replies on here, I figured that you would be the
one to pick up on that particular statement, Sunny! (or Polly, wasn't
sure!). I know I'm not dumb, but I also know that all children think
that their parents are dumb at some point in time (usually through
their teens) so I couldn't resist throwing that in there! I did
need a different type of education prior to college, but didn't get
it. That's ok, I'll work with it anyway!

Now, I cannot wait to hear about rusty rebar and how that happened!
Is there a recipe or a website/book that you can share?

Dannielle

First Two Done in 2009 (?) joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 19 January 18th 09 08:03 PM
2009 Goals lewmew Needlework 41 January 12th 09 11:47 PM
Happy New 2009 to all [email protected] Yarn 11 January 5th 09 08:14 PM
Get It Done in 2009!!! Kate G.[_3_] Quilting 0 January 4th 09 05:25 PM
Happy New 2009 to all [email protected] Needlework 4 January 1st 09 07:07 PM