2009 - A Year of Transition

Old May 5th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

Default 2009 - A Year of Transition

No, I didn't mark it off topic, 'cause it isn't!

I have been a long time piecer. Not much of a finisher, of most
things. However, for some reason, this year is starting out to be a
bit different than most. Maybe because of the past six or seven
months that have been really rotten for me (is has gotten much better
the past couple of months though). Maybe I've hit an age where I see
things a bit differently, maybe it's because I'm about to (finally)
get my college degree and am scared to death of what comes next. Who
knows!

This year, I am finishing things.

I have finished two baby panel quilts that I have had for about 5
years, and I have a third one that is just waiting for its binding, I
just can't decide which fabric will be the lucky winner. All three,
plus one that has been finished for awhile, will be sold.

I have a Turning Twenty quilt waiting to be layered and basted, but
all of my basting pins are in another quilt at the moment. Don't care
much for this one, so it'll be sold.

The pins? Oh they are in the first big quilt top I ever pieced! It's
a twin size ribbon block in some Robyn Pandolph fabrics that I love.
I made it when my DD was just a babe, and she's heading off to
Kindergarten this fall! I have chosen to hand quilt this one, so
it'll be traveling with me to my mother's this summer. I hope to have
it finished before DD graduates from college! Who's it for? ME!

I have finally put all the blocks together from the Black, White and
Red All Over block swap that happened in 2006. I had a problem with
one of the blocks and it took me a while to figure out how to fix it.
I just put the first border on today, now I need to measure and see
how much more border is necessary. This one belongs to my DS.

I have a rainbow log cabin for a new baby that is waiting patiently
for backing, basting and quilting. Again, it's going to my mother's
with me. The baby shouldn't be along until later this summer. I
loved the block so much, that I have another 48 in progress. (That
one hasn't said anything about an owner yet. I'll have to wait and
see.)

I have a batik butterfly star quilt that I have managed to get all the
blocks assembled and am in the border stage with it as well. Not sure
about the owner of this one yet either. Might be DD's.

I have a blue and white Irish chain quilt that is still glaring at
me. It's gonna wait awhile longer, but I'll get to it soon enough. I
just want to finish up the ones above first. It was supposed to be a
wedding gift. I think they've been married about three years now.
Oops. Maybe it'll find a new home, but it's supposed to be a queen
sized quilt!

And when I feel like banging my head against the wall, I have my Light
From Within quilt to work on. It would be great it I could actually
get those squares the right size. I am unsewing more than sewing on
this one!

I have two quilt tops that are being hand pieced. One is a foundation
pieced block from Carol Doak. It looks very Christmasy, and I have
all the blocks done, I am now working on sashing.

The other hand pieced project is One Thousand Pyramids. It's a
perpetual project and I don't expect to finish it this year, or next,
or the next after that....It keeps me busy when I am waiting for
appointments and such. Or just want easy work whilst watching the
television.

I have a few stitched pieces around that I grab from time to time when
I don't want to quilt, but still need to keep my hands busy. One is
the Christmas House, and I'm itching to finish that one, hopefully in
time to put in the fair this fall. If not, there's always next year,
right?

My biggest accomplishment this year will be my bachelor's degree. I
have been in school for much longer than I care to admit. Many
mistakes have been made, many I will be paying for for the rest of my
life. But I will have my degree, there will be no reason for my
children to not make something of themselves...'cause if their dumb
mom can do it, so can they!

What's on your list?

Dannielle
Old May 5th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L in MA

Dannielle wrote:
No, I didn't mark it off topic, 'cause it isn't!

Lots of stuff deleted...

What's on your list?

Dannielle

List? First on my list is a nap. I'm exhausted just reading about
what's on your plate. You have my heartfelt admiration!

Rita
--
Rita L. in MA - One eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)
Old May 5th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

Dannielle, I am in awe! I can't believe everything you've accomplished -
maybe not completed, but certainly you've made steps in the right direction.
You will promise to post pictures, won't you? In particular, I'm really
looking forward to the Black, White, and Red All Over block swap quilt - I
was a part of that one and can't wait to see what you've done with yours.
Mine is still sitting in my "projects to get done" stack!

Keep up the great work!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

"Dannielle" wrote in message
[...]

From Within quilt to work on. It would be great it I could actually

Old May 6th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Wow, Danielle. Your accomplishments are dazzling. Good, good for you.
Now, aside from congratulations, could we talk? About your pins? Of
course, nobody much has to deal with humidity quite like here in the Swamp -
but I'm wondering if it's safe to leave pins in anything for very long. It
would be such a disaster if they were to rust or something else unspeakable.
Take care with that one.) Polly

"Louise in Iowa" wrote Dannielle, I am in awe! I can't believe everything
you've accomplished -
maybe not completed, but certainly you've made steps in the right
direction. You will promise to post pictures, won't you? In particular,
I'm really looking forward to the Black, White, and Red All Over block
swap quilt - I was a part of that one and can't wait to see what you've
done with yours. Mine is still sitting in my "projects to get done" stack!

Keep up the great work!

"Dannielle" wrote No, I didn't mark it off topic, 'cause it isn't!

[...]

From Within quilt to work on. It would be great it I could actually

Old May 6th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

WOW!!! I'm totally impressed!

Now, can I add one more thing to your list? Pictures!! We want
pictures!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old May 6th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

As per your request: Ok, I updated my Webshots with the pictures I
took today. You can find them at: http://community.webshots.com/user/dani41604

Maybe I should add that to my signature...if I knew how to do that!
(I'll figure it out later, I have to study now!)

Dannielle

nieland1390@mchsi dot comhttp://community.webshots.com/user/louiseiniowa

Old May 6th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On May 5, 7:21*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Wow, Danielle. *Your accomplishments are dazzling. *Good, good for you.
Now, aside from congratulations, could we talk? *About your pins? *Of
course, nobody much has to deal with humidity quite like here in the Swamp -
but I'm wondering if it's safe to leave pins in anything for very long. *It
would be such a disaster if they were to rust or something else unspeakable.
Take care with that one.) * Polly

Don't fret too much Polly! I can't see loading this thing into the
quilting frame with pins in it. I think I will transition it over to
a tailor's tack sometime in the next couple of weeks. I just had to
do a quick baste while I had tables available to me, and pins are much
faster for me to put in!!!

Thanks for thinking of me! I would have hated to see rust stains in
this thing!

Dannielle

Old May 6th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

Thank you! Love the BW&RAO quilt - maybe I can get to mine one of these
days! Also love your friendship star - it makes such a nice secondary design
with the "ribbons." You're doing just great - Keep us updated on your
progress!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old May 6th 09, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You've got some lovely quilts there Danielle.
I love those penguins! and my favourite whole quilt is the Stained
Glass, followed closely by the Black, White and Red.
The panel quilts are so sweet. I have just 'found' children's panels,
and am enjoying using them too!

My 2009 is planned to be very similar to yours, on finishing. So many
of my pieces have been put aside for deadlines. This year I am setting
none at all. It is a lovely restful but busy state to be in!

Would you like to join us on Get It Done In 2009?
..
In message
,
dbeitzell writes
As per your request: Ok, I updated my Webshots with the pictures I
took today. You can find them at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dani41604

Maybe I should add that to my signature...if I knew how to do that!
(I'll figure it out later, I have to study now!)

Dannielle

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

First Two Done in 2009 (?) joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 19 January 18th 09 08:03 PM
2009 Goals lewmew Needlework 41 January 12th 09 11:47 PM
Happy New 2009 to all [email protected] Yarn 11 January 5th 09 08:14 PM
Get It Done in 2009!!! Kate G.[_3_] Quilting 0 January 4th 09 05:25 PM
Happy New 2009 to all [email protected] Needlework 4 January 1st 09 07:07 PM