Disappearing Nine Patch - Math help

Old May 3rd 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

Default Disappearing Nine Patch - Math help

Pati,

You are tempting me with more variations? You enabler you! I might
have to see what kinds of crazy things I can come up with on this
one. And look for that book. I don't think I've seen an uneven 9-
patch, but my ability to remember the names of more than two or three
block patterns is pretty limited too....

Thanks!
Dannielle

On Apr 29, 10:53*am, "Pati, in Phx" wrote:
Dannielle, there are lots of variations to the disappearing 9-patch.
VBG *Several can be found in the book "Slice 'em and Dice 'em" by
Nancy Brennen Daniels (?????)
For the one you are thinking of, you can use an Uneven 9-Patch to
start, it changes the pattern just a bit. I would suggest rounding up
your patch measurement to 4 3/4 inch (or even 5"), then trimming the
finished blocks to size. G But in my "world" it is often easier to
"make it big and whack it off". VBG
D9P can be *a very fun and even addictive pattern to work with. *I
taught a class on it to my guild group and one lady used squares from
a "charm swap" we did one year. No pattern, just sewed the squares
into 9-patches and cut and rearranged them. Worked out well. *Others
did very planned, limited number of fabrics projects and they all look
good. Several have made more than one.
There are some that I would like to make..... variations on this
particular cut and other ways to cut the original 9-patches. One of
these days.................

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx.

Old May 3rd 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On Apr 27, 11:33*pm, "Judy Clarke" wrote:
ok, I just can't resist.... (somebody had to say it) *why would you care
about it if it's going to disappear...??

Judy
* who had wine with dinner before going online

Judy,

That's a mighty fine question. Unfortunately, I don't have a might
fine answer!

Dannielle
Old May 3rd 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Danielle, and Uneven 9-patch is where the 9 units are not all square.
G Might have a large center square, small corner squares and
rectangles as the other 4 pieces. Or a small center square, larger
corner squares and rectangles for the other 4. Still "9 parts" but not
even in size. G
Remember, "9-Patch" is as much a "category" designator as anything.
There are lots of variations within the category. There are numerous
"9-Patch Stars", and so on. Adding "uneven-ness" just adds more
possible patterns and variations.

Have Fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old May 4th 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...90572914ZCKoLS

fwiw,
j.

Old May 4th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

jeanne-nzlstar* wrote:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...90572914ZCKoLS

fwiw,
j.

Good to see you Jeanne. Hope your autumn is being nicer than our
spring, which has just gone back to being cold and grey.

Lizzy
Old May 4th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've decided that Disappearing Nine Patch is a brain thing. No opinion as
to whether it's a 'right brain, left brain' or 'no brain'. I played with it
for a few blocks and thought it was big fun. My neighbor tried it and
became frazzled/ furious pretty quickly. And thank you Jeanne. I wondered
how it would go with just 3 colors and you simply handed to me. Great.
Polly

Old May 4th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

On May 4, 12:43*am, "jeanne-nzlstar*" wrote:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...90572914ZCKoLS

fwiw,
j.

Ok, that's just too much fun! I think I like the simplicity of whole
squares instead of HST's, 'cause I'm mostly a simple person,
but those are just beautiful! I think you had a good time playing
with your EQ too!

Thanks!

Dannielle