King size quilt

Old March 18th 04, 12:15 AM
James Henry

Default King size quilt

Well here's the story! As a nubee my dear wife started this quilt for a
magazine and it turned out to be a king size quilt, she then got a Handi
Quilter with the extensions to handle a king size quilt. She finished the
top and I was impressed at the detail it looked excellent.
I made her a 11 foot by 3 foot table and one Saturday we set up every thing
(backing, padding and quilt top) rolled tight and away she goes, once more
I'm impressed every thing was running smooth and looking good, oh I forgot
to say she has a Janome 6125QC.
OK now the problem! The Janome 6125QC has to small of an opening to
accommodate a king size quilt, she is less than half way up the quilt and
there is not enough room to do hardly any quilting.

She is open for any and all suggestions on how to finish this big quilt.
(with out a $2000.00 long arm machine) I recommended she cut the top in
half, finish both halves and sew the two together.

TIA for any suggestions.

Old March 18th 04, 12:38 AM
Joan8904

She can turn the quilt and work from the other side. Be very careful that you
don't end up with a 'bunch' at the place where you come up against the already
quilted end. (I speak from experience.)

The other idea of taking the top apart is viable IF the sewing pattern allows
for an division. Fore example. a log cabin pattern would split just fine,
unless you've got the blocks on point. Clear as mud?

joan
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old March 18th 04, 07:38 AM
Roberta Zollner

This might be more trouble than it's worth... but you say she's less than
halfway across. Maybe she could cut about a third of the batting from the
unquilted side, roll that up tight, finish quilting through the center. Then
replace the batting, whip stitch a bit to hold it together, roll it back up
and finish. Let us know how it comes out!
Roberta in D

Old March 19th 04, 03:05 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"James Henry" wrote in message

She is open for any and all suggestions on how to finish this big quilt.
(with out a $2000.00 long arm machine) I recommended she cut the top in
half, finish both halves and sew the two together.

Good luck finding a working longarm for that little! LOL That price range is
more like a short arm.

I did a number of king size quilts on my Janome 5014 in my pre-longarm days,
just by rolling up the quilt very, very tightly.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old March 20th 04, 02:13 PM
Goobaa

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:05:59 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

"James Henry" wrote in message

She is open for any and all suggestions on how to finish this big quilt.
(with out a $2000.00 long arm machine) I recommended she cut the top in
half, finish both halves and sew the two together.

Good luck finding a working longarm for that little! LOL That price range is
more like a short arm.

I did a number of king size quilts on my Janome 5014 in my pre-longarm days,
just by rolling up the quilt very, very tightly.

Thanks for all the Help! Yesterday I reached deep into my pocket and
she traded in her 6125QC for a 6500 pro. She finished the quilt this
morning with room to spare in the opening of the 6500. She is Happy
Happy Happy.
Old March 20th 04, 03:58 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Goobaa wrote in message ...

Thanks for all the Help! Yesterday I reached deep into my pocket and
she traded in her 6125QC for a 6500 pro. She finished the quilt this
morning with room to spare in the opening of the 6500. She is Happy
Happy Happy.

And that's all that matters. Hooray!!!

Old March 20th 04, 04:01 PM
AliceW

My husband has a favorite saying that is ever so true: "Happy wife, happy
life"

Glad it worked out for you and the king sized quilt! Looking forward to
seeing pictures of the quilt and the new 6500!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
om...
:
: Goobaa wrote in message
:
: Thanks for all the Help! Yesterday I reached deep into my pocket and
: she traded in her 6125QC for a 6500 pro. She finished the quilt this
: morning with room to spare in the opening of the 6500. She is Happy
: Happy Happy.
:
: And that's all that matters. Hooray!!!
:
: --