Etching question

Old July 7th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Default Bummed... was Etching question

I hate it when things have flaws. And usually don't see them right away.

I got a free-style goddess bead, that turned out to be more of a vessel.
And then I saw cracks in it. I figure the thing to do is fill it with some
kind of glue to stabilize it, probably E6000, and wrap it because it has no
hole. Actually the wire-wrapping seemed like a good design idea before I
saw the problems.

A week or two before, I had gotten a set with another bead with a crack.
That one seems sturdy enough not to be a problem for breaking. I guess what
I need to do is drop it a few times to find out if it will break.

Tina

"bluemaxx" wrote in message
Thanks, sweetie. I am totally bummed out about it breaking... and it

only
fell about 12 inches to the floor!

But I might just go ahead and glue it together and maybe string some SS

wire
with more beads around the crack that will show after I glue it. I

really
don't want to grind down the glass with a Dremel... I'll prolly hurt

myself
the way my luck goes. lol "You'll put your eye out with that thing."

--
hugs,
Linda

"Valerie" wrote in message
: Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really cool!
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: . ..
: Well, the necklace is not meant to be... as I finished wire-wrapping
the
: small shells and started attaching them to the winged heartwork

lampwork
: bead, I dropped it and one of the wings broke off. sobbing It

only
: fell on carpet! And two layers of carpet at that... the installed
carpet
: and another rug I have on top of the carpet.
: (((((((((((((((((((((((
:
: So now I need to find out how to grind down the broken wing... part of
it
: broke off very cleanly from the heart bead, leaving only a small

portion
: of
: the wing at the top of the bead that's really sharp.
:
: Perhaps my Dremel tool would be able to grind down the broken part of
the
: wing? Then I can etch the whole heart... err... the lopsided,
one-winged
: heart. lol
:
: Ah, well.... another bead for the trash bin. But it's killing me

cuz
: the
: wings on the heart were so pretty!!
:
: hugs,
: Linda
: Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
:
:
: "Beckibead" wrote in message
: ups.com...
: : Wow that sounds cool
: :
: :
: : Becki
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 9th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Hi, sweetie. )))) What a lovely offer! I'd love to just grind off
the whole wing of that part of broke off.... I can then do some
wire-wrapping over the ground down wing thanks to Tina's idea. )))

I'll email you later.

--
hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx

"Valerie" wrote in message
: If you're worried, send it to me. I've been drilling through glass for
years
: (sea glass!) and it won't phase me. ;-) Email me if you'd like me to and
: I'll give you my addy. I'll send it back when it's done.
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: ...
: Thanks, sweetie. I am totally bummed out about it breaking... and it
: only
: fell about 12 inches to the floor!
:
: But I might just go ahead and glue it together and maybe string some SS
: wire
: with more beads around the crack that will show after I glue it. I
: really
: don't want to grind down the glass with a Dremel... I'll prolly hurt
: myself
: the way my luck goes. lol "You'll put your eye out with that thing."
:
: --
: hugs,
: Linda
: Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
:
:
: "Valerie" wrote in message
: ...
: : Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really cool!
: :
: : --
: : Valerie
: : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: :
: : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : . ..
: : Well, the necklace is not meant to be... as I finished
wire-wrapping
: the
: : small shells and started attaching them to the winged heartwork
: lampwork
: : bead, I dropped it and one of the wings broke off. sobbing It
: only
: : fell on carpet! And two layers of carpet at that... the installed
: carpet
: : and another rug I have on top of the carpet.
: : (((((((((((((((((((((((
: :
[...]
: : "Beckibead" wrote in message
: : ups.com...
: : : Wow that sounds cool
: : :
: : :
: : : Becki
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 9th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Sorry to hear about your Goddess, Tina. Try putting the other bead
into the freezer and see if it breaks when you take it out... I heard that
tip awhile back when I wanted to check on some cheap Indian lampwork that I
had.

And your wirewrapping idea is fantastic! I'm gonna have to borrow that
when I get around to working with the broken winged heart. ))))

--

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
[...]
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: ...
: Thanks, sweetie. I am totally bummed out about it breaking... and it
: only
: fell about 12 inches to the floor!
:
: But I might just go ahead and glue it together and maybe string some SS
: wire
: with more beads around the crack that will show after I glue it. I
: really
: don't want to grind down the glass with a Dremel... I'll prolly hurt
: myself
: the way my luck goes. lol "You'll put your eye out with that thing."
:
: --
: hugs,
: Linda
: Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
:
:
: "Valerie" wrote in message
: ...
: : Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really cool!
: :
: : --
: : Valerie
: : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: :
: : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : . ..
[...]
: : "Beckibead" wrote in message
: : ups.com...
: : : Wow that sounds cool
: : :
: : :
: : : Becki
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 10th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

That shouldn't be too hard. :-)

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.valeriebeads.com
http://valeriebeads.etsy.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti
. ..

"Valerie" wrote in message
: If you're worried, send it to me. I've been drilling through glass for
years
: (sea glass!) and it won't phase me. ;-) Email me if you'd like me to and
: I'll give you my addy. I'll send it back when it's done.
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Valerie" wrote in message
: ...
: : Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really
cool!
: :
: : --
: : Valerie
: : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: :
: : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : . ..
[...]
: : "Beckibead" wrote in message
: : ups.com...
: : : Wow that sounds cool
: : :
: : :
: : : Becki
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 11th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Ok, then. )))) I just emailed you about a set of beads on your
website, too. ))))

--
hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx

"Valerie" wrote in message
: That shouldn't be too hard. :-)
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: . ..
: Hi, sweetie. )))) What a lovely offer! I'd love to just grind
off
: the whole wing of that part of broke off.... I can then do some
: wire-wrapping over the ground down wing thanks to Tina's idea. )))
:
: I'll email you later.
:
: --
: hugs,
: Linda
: Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
:
:
: "Valerie" wrote in message
: ...
: : If you're worried, send it to me. I've been drilling through glass for
: years
: : (sea glass!) and it won't phase me. ;-) Email me if you'd like me to
and
: : I'll give you my addy. I'll send it back when it's done.
: :
: : --
: : Valerie
: : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: :
: : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : "Valerie" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really
: cool!
: : :
: : : --
: : : Valerie
: : : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: : :
: : : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : : . ..
: : : Well, the necklace is not meant to be... as I finished
: wire-wrapping
: : the
: : : small shells and started attaching them to the winged heartwork
: : lampwork
: : : bead, I dropped it and one of the wings broke off. sobbing
: It
: : only
: : : fell on carpet! And two layers of carpet at that... the
installed
: : carpet
: : : and another rug I have on top of the carpet.
: : : (((((((((((((((((((((((
: : :
[...]
: : : "Beckibead" wrote in message
: : : ups.com...
: : : : Wow that sounds cool
: : : :
: : : :
: : : : Becki
: : : :
: : : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 11th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

got it! Looks like we're in synch right now. lol!

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"bluemaxx" wrote in message
Ok, then. )))) I just emailed you about a set of beads on your
website, too. ))))

--
hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx

"Valerie" wrote in message
: That shouldn't be too hard. :-)
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: . ..
: Hi, sweetie. )))) What a lovely offer! I'd love to just grind
off
: the whole wing of that part of broke off.... I can then do some
: wire-wrapping over the ground down wing thanks to Tina's idea. )))
:
: I'll email you later.
:
: --
: hugs,
: Linda
: Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
:
:
: "Valerie" wrote in message
: ...
: : If you're worried, send it to me. I've been drilling through glass
for
: years
: : (sea glass!) and it won't phase me. ;-) Email me if you'd like me to
and
: : I'll give you my addy. I'll send it back when it's done.
: :
: : --
: : Valerie
: : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: :
: : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : "Valerie" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really
: cool!
: : :
: : : --
: : : Valerie
: : : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : : http://www.valeriebeads.com
: : : http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
: : :
: : : I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: : : -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: : : "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: : : . ..
[...]
: : : "Beckibead" wrote in message
: : : ups.com...
: : : : Wow that sounds cool
: : : :
: : : :
: : : : Becki
: : : :
: : : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 11th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Oh man, that's awful! It was sounding so promising. Do you have any
photos of it anyway?

Old July 15th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Oh, I know.... I was just sick when it happened. (( And no, I took
it all apart, so I don't have pics. But Valerie is kindly going to try to
grind down the broken part of the wing, and if it survives that, I'm going
to be wirewrapping it again and embellishing the heart ... maybe with other
Czech glass hearts, to hide the broken off wing part. We'll see...

So many plans, so little time!!
--
hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx

ups.com...

Old July 19th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

But Valerie is kindly going to try to
grind down the broken part of the wing, and if it survives that, I'm going
to be wirewrapping it again and embellishing the heart ... maybe with other
Czech glass hearts, to hide the broken off wing part. We'll see...

I hope for the best :-) It's funny, sometimes the best solutions come
from the worst problems.

So many plans, so little time!!

Hehe! I need more lives to accomplish the lifetime of stuff!

Best,
Christine

etching on metal [email protected] Carving 0 April 29th 07 07:04 PM
Acid Etching Charlie Jewelry 4 December 18th 04 04:11 PM
Etching solution Beelzebub Jewelry 4 January 30th 04 04:55 AM
Etching solution question bluemaxx Beads 4 October 26th 03 05:23 PM
etching nightstand Rubberstamps 4 August 1st 03 05:33 PM